Might autistic women not be the best match for autistic men?

Page 5 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 4:46 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
MaxE wrote:
So as we were drinking, I can recall we began gazing lovingly into each others' eyes and when I think about it maybe we should have shared alcohol more often because we probably had such feelings buried inside us. Anyway the point is that, had I had more empathy and a normal ability to feel and express romantic love for another person, the relationship would have been more successful.

In both that relationship and the previous one, it was easy and effortless to become part of a couple and stay together with a minimum of interpersonal conflict, but the strong bonds that might have preserved the relationship through "thick and thin" simply weren't there. So I think most relationships have a greater chance of long-term success if at least one partner has what would be considered a normal degree of empathy and theory of mind, even though this may cause more stress for the ND partner.

One should not assume that NT's have better "theory of mind" in an absolute sense. NT's typically have much better "theory of NT mind," but not better "theory of autistic mind." The best person to empathize with an autistic person is another autistic person who either has similar traits or is well-educated about the many varieties of autistic traits.

The lack of empathy for autistic people by many NT's, as well as vice versa, is known as the "double empathy problem." Google "autism double empathy problem" for more info about this, including some scientific articles.

MaxE wrote:
I could add that if one is on the Autism Spectrum it's unlikely they will ever find themselves in a "perfect" relationship but then very few relationships are perfect. Like I said at the start of the thread, there are "success stories" but I don't think they're typical. I guess I would say that the ones that do succeed involve people who have been diagnosed as autistic and enter the relationship knowing that, are compatible in a lot of ways, and are committed to making the relationship work. When I was that age most autism apart from the more "severe" cases weren't diagnosed, you might always wonder why you were "different" but never had an answer.

These days, of course, more and more of us are diagnosed, and more and more of us are educated about autism. Hence relationships between autistic people have become more and more likely to work well, and "success stories" hopefully much less rare.

I'll try to respond to this. So by empathy I don't mean the ability to intellectually understand that another person has feelings and may be hurting inside or even the ability to act on that understanding by showing consideration or trying to be kind to that person.

It's actually a couple of things. One is the ability to just "connect" with other people, for example to be energized by interacting with a group of friend or just "fun people". It would seem NTs' oxytocin levels are heightened by such interaction and they can suffer if deprived of it. A lot of them suffered grievously during the COVID-19 lockdowns whereas in my case for example I was quite happy to be warm and safe in my cozy house and interact with my coworkers online.

Another aspect is the ability to sort of synchronize one's emotional state with another person, so that if that person experiences emotional distress you can comfort them by words, facial expression, non-sexual physical contact, etc. This is a painful subject for me. Good as I will claim my marriage is, the truth is that there have been times when my wife has told me she just needs to have people around her to talk with and having me around doesn't do the job i.e. I am important in her life but there are things for which she needs other people. Along with this is the natural understanding that a partner must hear things said the reassure them regarding one's feelings e.g. being periodically reminded that you love them etc. or know when they need a special gift to make them feel better and what sort of gift will work. So I posted in GAD how I believe some people diagnosed with ASD mostly have Sally/Anne deficiencies whereas others' symptoms are mostly due to sensory issues (of course this is a very crude summary of the situation) however I think those with sensory issues might in fact have fairly strong empathy and might object to being told they can't due to their autism.

I guess to make a valid point I would say that even if one is one the spectrum, one still benefits from having a highly empathetic partner even though one might not share that degree of empathy. So in theory if both people are on the spectrum there's a real challenge.

If I were single, I would certainly not easily decline the opportunity for a relationship with her:

Interestingly, I think I can recall some backstory about her having once been romantically involved with Commander Will Riker, a character who apparently was never seen to smile. Coincidence?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 5:07 pm

:lol:

You do realize that Star Trek is a show, right? (Deanna Troi ends up marrying Will Riker, but I digress.)

People with autism can be highly empathetic.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Mar 2023, 10:13 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
:lol:

You do realize that Star Trek is a show, right? (Deanna Troi ends up marrying Will Riker, but I digress.)

People with autism can be highly empathetic.
Deanna would be my pick if I could have a relationship with any Star Trek character. Kes would be my 2nd.

My girlfriend is very empathetic but she finds it very draining after a while. It doesn't help that she's a major people pleaser until she reaches her breaking point.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 10:50 pm

To start, I would briefly mention that not only did Troi marry Ryker, but Ryker is in fact a pretty personable fella, known to smile, laugh, joke, and occasionally play jazz trombone.

Which, more relevantly, made me think of Lt Reginald Barcklay, who very much fits many markers for autism, and who also has a relationship with Troi, albeit a doctor / patient one - the fact that she can empathetically understand all about him makes him like her immensely, but the fact that she understands him doesn't make his behavior any less draining or tedious to deal with from her point of view - particularly in the beginning, when his behaviors are much more maladaptive and disruptive.

In the case of two autistic individuals, it depends, really. If both parties have needs that work well together, then yeah, maybe it could work swimmingly. But suppose one individual needs attention and validation, while the other needs space and separation - or one tends to talk a lot, but the other prefers silence. There needs may be at odds with each others'.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 4:00 am

MaxE wrote:
Muse933277 wrote:
A lot of the autistic women I have met, I have found them physically unattractive. Those were just the ones that I have known about.

I was once set up on a blind date with an autistic women and it was a horrible match. She liked to drink and do drugs and was kind of crazy, that never really went anywhere.

This does suggest two important concepts we mustn't overlook.

1.) The poster reports that he has met actual autistic women, however he found many of them to be physically unattractive. Now I don't dispute this, as a man I fully understand what that means. The problem though is that we keep hearing about how a.) autistic men yearn for a mythical autistic woman who will be their soul mate, and b.) autism is easier for women to deal with than men, because they can at least find sex partners. However, if somebody who might seem desperate for female companionship still rejects actual autistic women he met in the flesh due to not finding them attractive, then one must assume those women aren't having an easy time finding sexual gratification let alone long-term male companionship. Of course one must also ask oneself, is it possible for a man to convince himself that a woman whom he finds unattractive at first sight is actually a legitimate choice as a partner? I happen to believe this is possible to some limited extent anyway. I happen to live in the US and I see women who I would think would be considered unattractive by just about anybody who either have male partners accompanying them, or at a minimum have kids so clearly somebody was willing to have sex with them, at least. So the problem could actually be that of not finding attractive women who are on the AS, not that of being unable to find any autistic women.

2.) Autism manifests in women in many different ways. I have no problem believing the story about the woman who was into alcohol, drugs, and was "crazy" (possibly in the sense of being promiscuous)? So just because a woman is autistic doesn't mean she'll be a quiet sort who wants to stay home in the evening stroking a cat, reading 19th Century English novels, and giving her man affection when he asks for it. In fact, of the 2 partners I had who I claim were on the spectrum, the first one liked alcohol a great deal, in fact the one time I saw her after our relationship ended, she bragged to me about how she had discovered going to bars at night, drinking, and having sex with different guys she met there (note that the alcohol seemed to be as much of an attraction of that life style as the casual sex) and although for most women that might be seen as a confession, for her it was brag. The 2nd one wasn't much of a drinker but, although she had very strong feelings for me I have reason to believe she sometimes hooked up with other guys on the side, even though that may have only happened on occasion, still such behavior would be considered promiscuous by a great many people. And I'll go further and say that autism (in certain women) might actually tend to predispose them to such behavior, especially if the woman pursues it on her own rather than as part of a posse of fellow "party girls".

What is it about autistic women that a guy would likely find unnattractive though? It's been mentioned on here that autistic people more often do not like to exercise, but is that the only reason the poster would find them unattractive likely?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 7:23 am

MaxE wrote:
I'll try to respond to this. So by empathy I don't mean the ability to intellectually understand that another person has feelings and may be hurting inside or even the ability to act on that understanding by showing consideration or trying to be kind to that person.

It's actually a couple of things. One is the ability to just "connect" with other people,

Even in that sense, it seems to me that NT's are likely to be best able to "just connect" with culturally similar NT's, but much less so with autistic people -- or, for that matter, with people from other cultures or even other subcultures, or other assorted oddballs. With autistic people, especially, NT's often have difficulty understanding autistic people's body language, which makes it harder for them to "just connect" with us.

MaxE wrote:
for example to be energized by interacting with a group of friend or just "fun people". It would seem NTs' oxytocin levels are heightened by such interaction and they can suffer if deprived of it. A lot of them suffered grievously during the COVID-19 lockdowns whereas in my case for example I was quite happy to be warm and safe in my cozy house and interact with my coworkers online.

Another aspect is the ability to sort of synchronize one's emotional state with another person, so that if that person experiences emotional distress you can comfort them by words, facial expression, non-sexual physical contact, etc. This is a painful subject for me. Good as I will claim my marriage is, the truth is that there have been times when my wife has told me she just needs to have people around her to talk with and having me around doesn't do the job i.e. I am important in her life but there are things for which she needs other people.

There are things for which you need other people too. Were that not the case, you probably wouldn't be posting here on Wrong Planet.

I don't think it's reasonable for any two people to expect to be able to satisfy all of each other's needs.

MaxE wrote:
Along with this is the natural understanding that a partner must hear things said the reassure them regarding one's feelings e.g. being periodically reminded that you love them etc. or know when they need a special gift to make them feel better and what sort of gift will work. So I posted in GAD how I believe some people diagnosed with ASD mostly have Sally/Anne deficiencies whereas others' symptoms are mostly due to sensory issues (of course this is a very crude summary of the situation)

In which of the above two categories would you put yourself?

The "Sally/Anne test" has been widely criticized. One issue is that what it tests it may actually be primarily an issue of language development, i.e. one's ability to understand recursive sentence structures such as "Sally thinks Anne thinks X," rather than some deeper ability to recognize that different people have different thoughts.

Be that as it may, I'll accept that by "Sally/Anne deficiencies," you apparently mean more-than-normal intrinsic difficulties with figuring out what other people are thinking or feeling, beyond just difficulties with understanding people who are different from oneself.

Anyhow, there are at least two other important categories of autistic people you didn't mention:

(1) Many of us have attention difficulties. Many autistic people have co-occurring ADHD, and many other autistic people have attention issues that don't necessarily fit the diagnostic criteria for ADHD. Many of us, including myself, have difficulties with multi-tasking. I attribute many of my social difficulties to my difficulties with multi-tasking.

(2) There are also quite a few autistic people who (with or without sensory issues, and with or without attention issues) are hyper-aware of other people's feelings, but have difficulty figuring out how to respond.

MaxE wrote:
however I think those with sensory issues might in fact have fairly strong empathy and might object to being told they can't due to their autism.

As I explained above, people with sensory issues are not the only ones who might object to this.

MaxE wrote:
I guess to make a valid point I would say that even if one is one the spectrum, one still benefits from having a highly empathetic partner even though one might not share that degree of empathy.

I don't agree with this, even if we are talking about those of us who truly lack empathy. It seems to me that two people who lack empathy are more likely to be patient with each other's lack of empathy than a person with more empathy would be. Also, in this case, a lack of empathy can be compensated for via training in active listening and learning to be assertive without being aggressive.

MaxE wrote:
So in theory if both people are on the spectrum there's a real challenge.

I would say that there are challenges because autistic people are all different from each other as well as from NT's. Another source of challenges is that many of us have developed mood disorders and/or personality disorders in addition to being autistic.

So there's certainly no guarantee that we will get along with other autistic people just because we have autism in common. Nevertheless, at least for some of us, I think there is much greater potential for mutual understanding with at least some other autistic people than with NT's.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 9:41 am

^^well I guess we'll leave it at that.

EDIT:

Mona Pereth wrote:
There are things for which you need other people too. Were that not the case, you probably wouldn't be posting here on Wrong Planet.

The things I post on Wrong Planet are things that I literally can't talk to anyone else about.

Last edited by MaxE on 19 Mar 2023, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 9:43 am

ironpony wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Muse933277 wrote:
A lot of the autistic women I have met, I have found them physically unattractive. Those were just the ones that I have known about.

I was once set up on a blind date with an autistic women and it was a horrible match. She liked to drink and do drugs and was kind of crazy, that never really went anywhere.

This does suggest two important concepts we mustn't overlook.

1.) The poster reports that he has met actual autistic women, however he found many of them to be physically unattractive. Now I don't dispute this, as a man I fully understand what that means. The problem though is that we keep hearing about how a.) autistic men yearn for a mythical autistic woman who will be their soul mate, and b.) autism is easier for women to deal with than men, because they can at least find sex partners. However, if somebody who might seem desperate for female companionship still rejects actual autistic women he met in the flesh due to not finding them attractive, then one must assume those women aren't having an easy time finding sexual gratification let alone long-term male companionship. Of course one must also ask oneself, is it possible for a man to convince himself that a woman whom he finds unattractive at first sight is actually a legitimate choice as a partner? I happen to believe this is possible to some limited extent anyway. I happen to live in the US and I see women who I would think would be considered unattractive by just about anybody who either have male partners accompanying them, or at a minimum have kids so clearly somebody was willing to have sex with them, at least. So the problem could actually be that of not finding attractive women who are on the AS, not that of being unable to find any autistic women.

2.) Autism manifests in women in many different ways. I have no problem believing the story about the woman who was into alcohol, drugs, and was "crazy" (possibly in the sense of being promiscuous)? So just because a woman is autistic doesn't mean she'll be a quiet sort who wants to stay home in the evening stroking a cat, reading 19th Century English novels, and giving her man affection when he asks for it. In fact, of the 2 partners I had who I claim were on the spectrum, the first one liked alcohol a great deal, in fact the one time I saw her after our relationship ended, she bragged to me about how she had discovered going to bars at night, drinking, and having sex with different guys she met there (note that the alcohol seemed to be as much of an attraction of that life style as the casual sex) and although for most women that might be seen as a confession, for her it was brag. The 2nd one wasn't much of a drinker but, although she had very strong feelings for me I have reason to believe she sometimes hooked up with other guys on the side, even though that may have only happened on occasion, still such behavior would be considered promiscuous by a great many people. And I'll go further and say that autism (in certain women) might actually tend to predispose them to such behavior, especially if the woman pursues it on her own rather than as part of a posse of fellow "party girls".

What is it about autistic women that a guy would likely find unnattractive though? It's been mentioned on here that autistic people more often do not like to exercise, but is that the only reason the poster would find them unattractive likely?

My understanding was that he met some women who were autistic but unattractive. I mean they were unattractive to him autistic or not. Their autism didn't make them unattractive. Their appearance, body type, etc. were what turned him off.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 8:25 pm

Oh okay, I see. Thanks.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 8:29 pm

Well after thinking about it, maybe telling Bottleblank to pursue younger women is not the best idea, and maybe just persue women in general, that would fit his personality and IQ level would probably be better.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 12:07 am

I don't think that people should get another on autism alone because this doesn't necessarily mean that they're compatible as partners. If one is a devout christian that likes to read the bible everyday and the other smokes weed everyday and wants to shake their ass on OnlyFans, I doubt they'd work out.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 3:02 pm

This totally makes sense. I just thought that having a partner that is also autistic would be a huge advantage in my experience.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 3:40 pm

Muse933277 wrote:
I don't think that people should get another on autism alone because this doesn't necessarily mean that they're compatible as partners. If one is a devout christian that likes to read the bible everyday and the other smokes weed everyday and wants to shake their ass on OnlyFans, I doubt they'd work out.
Well said. I think an autistic seeking out an autistic partner is just a jumping off point so to speak. They could probably at least relate somewhat to feeling like an outsider some & having various struggles & issues in life even if those struggles & issues are very different. Their autism might help them find each other & be willing to consider giving each other a chance but there would have to be more than autism to keep their relationship going past a couple dates. We also shouldn't limit ourselves to fellow autistics due to autism being a small minority & some areas have very little autism awareness & few things that are autism friendly. It's very hard to randomly find fellow autistics offline when the area has very few things that interest autistics & the autistics don't know they are autistic or they are trying their best to mask in order to avoid negativity & trouble.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 1:10 pm

Muse933277 wrote:

Clearly not, whether it is a workable situation is going to depend a lot on the degree to which your needs can be coordinated without it turning into a feedback loop.

I'm not really sure what the deal with my wife is, her insistence that all social interactions be based on a rigid list, the huge amount of effort put into putting up appearances and her apparent inability to comprehend that I might not agree are not exactly NT beliefs. But,they're also possibly any number of other things as well. And she does come from a culture that seems to be more focused on appearances to begin with, making it even more complicated.

It makes for a situation that just sucks much of the time and why it's probably best to not even try an autism-autism relationship unless everybody involved is on the same page about the ground rules and what is expected behavior as the regular rules might not make much sense in some areas.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 2:06 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
It makes for a situation that just sucks much of the time and why it's probably best to not even try an autism-autism relationship unless everybody involved is on the same page about the ground rules and what is expected behavior as the regular rules might not make much sense in some areas.
I think being on the same page about ground rules & expected behavior would be very helpful for any romantic relationship any autistc person would get in regardless of if their partner is another autistic, has some other disorders, or is a normal stereotypical NT

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2023, 8:49 am

Maybe the autistic-autistic coupling is a « blind leading the blind » case; therefore may not be the best match.