02 Sep 2007, 11:01 pm

Starbuline wrote:
:P
YOU'RE WINNER !

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 11:17 pm

Iremember wririting apoem in high school about love. I compared it to Superman. Meaning theres a million books, songs, plays, movies etc about it but it's still not real.
I also remember when I fell in love. It was rough. We were 19 she was a nanny at a preschool and she told me one toddler always insited on being caried around by her and would piss himself in excitement.
I asked" So how big is this dude? What time does school let out ? You think I can take him down?"

Also I was bullied a lot growing up but never internalized it. I was physically self destructive for the one and only time in my life over being loved, not hated.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2007, 11:24 pm

I don't think I know what love is. But I believe it's something that inspires men to write music.

I have a tendency to be realistic and idealistic about love... I want love to be comfortable... but I believe love will lead me to do uncomfortable things.

I also believe the word love is frequently misrepresented by people and used for selfish means... kind of like when I hear "would I ever lie to you." means they are a liar... love means they want something from you.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

dongiovanni
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Sep 2007, 12:02 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Anyone want cheese with their whine? :roll:

Actually, in Standard American English, whine and wine are not merged. So, this phrase actually does not make sense as no homonyms are present. :P

Regarding the issue at hand, I agree that love is the amalgamation of neurotransmitters that bears no inherent ontological value. This makes it no less meaningful. In fact nothing in this world has any inherent ontological value. All value is epistemologically assigned. Perception is everything. Nothing has meaning unless the consciousness decides it has meaning.

As far as a definition goes, I would define love as a stage of social development in which a person ceases to be motivated by fear or desire. True selflessness is the ultimate goal of human growth. Fear and desire (both inherently selfish) yield conflict and dysfunction whereas as the truly selfless love (described perfectly in the Christian paradigm) yields peace and understanding. As far as a literary citation of this, I encourage everyone to watch the entirety of Wagner's "Der Ring des Nibelungen" as soon as you have 15 hours to spare. The length is not an exaggeration. I know that it's a work of music and drama (i.e. opera) rather than a work of literature, but it is still very apt.

For a similar emotional experience, I recommend listening to the second movement (or the third movement in Symphony No. 9) of any of Beethoven's romantic works (Symphony No. 5 and the Pathétique sonata are my favourites). Or just listen to the whole works, as they all kick ass. Beethoven (being a historical aspie poster child) knew what was up.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 1:48 am

dongiovanni wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Anyone want cheese with their whine? :roll:

Actually, in Standard American English, whine and wine are not merged. So, this phrase actually does not make sense as no homonyms are present. :P

Actually its nothing against anyone here, more or less the more I hear about Sopho and Starbuline's Defcom 65 or whatever ghey thing its called and the more I see what they're doing the more I think they're complete pieces of work. This thread was started as a joke to see just how many people would be gullible enough to answer it literally - that way the superdweebs can have a good knee slapper about the fact that people responded to a post that wasn't even meant to be legit.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 1:52 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Actually its nothing against anyone here, more or less the more I hear about Sopho and Starbuline's Defcom 65 or whatever ghey thing its called and the more I see what they're doing the more I think they're complete pieces of work. This thread was started as a joke to see just how many people would be gullible enough to answer it literally - that way the superdweebs can have a good knee slapper about the fact that people responded to a post that wasn't even meant to be legit.

Those bastages... :o

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 10:05 am

dongiovanni wrote:
True selflessness is the ultimate goal of human growth. Fear and desire (both inherently selfish) yield conflict and dysfunction whereas as the truly selfless love (described perfectly in the Christian paradigm) yields peace and understanding.

I was going to attempt typing something to that effect. Love is imo the natural, 'default' state of being for people. Its raising your energy field to a higher vibrational level. Its the sense of ecstacy when you feel connected to the infinite. To quote Icke 'infinte love is the only truth, everything else is illusion' (great book btw)

Weve been programmed by society to think 'love' is only attainable through romantic courtship or childbirth - primarily to keep us trapped in a web of self-limitation so they can control and manipulate us. Romantic love (in the complete, selfless sense) IS real, but only as fragment of infinite love. like a shortcut maybe? I think if people realised that, most of the problems they percieve to be real in their 'love-life' - anxiety, doubt, jealously longing etc would dissolve and everything would run a lot smoother. Instead, it seems everyone gets trapped into the low-frequency 'anti-love' emotions and either spend their time worrying their healthy realtionships to death, or worrying themselves into unsuitable unhealthy relationships. Its pretty funny when you think about it :lol:

jfberge
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 3:06 pm

Love has been the most powerful, motivating, enjoyable thing I've experienced. It's a natural mania that consumes you. Sure, it's a biochemical process and it doesn't last forever, but it's also so simple and pure and blissful. It just feels right, like a manifest answer to the absurdity of life.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 3:28 pm

I don't beleive in love :roll:

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 9:27 pm

jfberge wrote:
Love has been the most powerful, motivating, enjoyable thing I've experienced. It's a natural mania that consumes you. Sure, it's a biochemical process and it doesn't last forever, but it's also so simple and pure and blissful. It just feels right, like a manifest answer to the absurdity of life.

damn straight!
you got that right!
it is the best high I have ever had, and for as long as it lasts it is euphoria!
it wenches my heart out and roasts it in a slow fire. . . but the glow.. oh, the glow. . .

Merle