Sexism (?) and Hypathetical Scenario

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DeniseLosar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2007, 6:26 pm

Firstly, let us presuppose that we can define a meaningful condition and call it sexism.
( Yes, it is moot but let us not get bogged down in this mud: we assume to agree on something workable.)
Now a dictator of this planet comes along, and whenever sexism is uttered, the perpetraitor is struck dumb.
Moreover, this dictator may even wish to stop such thoughts.
Would the world be better ?
Would anybody care ?

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 6:45 pm

It is strange. I have seen plenty of anti-female references in threads in my time here... they were not suppressed.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 6:51 pm

There was just an entire thread of anti-female references locked; the original post was anti-male, but many posts which followed were anti-female reactions to that.

Let's turn the hypothetical situation around, and suppose that the dictator instead abolished all restrictions on sexism, and on hate speech.

Would the world be a better place?

It's a difficult balance without simple answers.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 6:54 pm

I don't know if I understand it well, it seems that all people on the planet would lack free will, kinda like that. It sounds like an utopian society or maybe dystopian?. The way I see this, that could work with any type of crime as well, it could be used to control people the way the dictator wants things though.

It can be a good thing in a sense, that is, reducing crimes to 0%, however it could also means: no freedom (mind control).

DeniseLosar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2007, 7:24 pm

Yes, you could say like A Clockwork Orange.

DeniseLosar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2007, 7:26 pm

geek wrote:
There was just an entire thread of anti-female references locked; the original post was anti-male, but many posts which followed were anti-female reactions to that.

Let's turn the hypothetical situation around, and suppose that the dictator instead abolished all restrictions on sexism, and on hate speech.

I disagree, it is very simple.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 7:33 pm

DeniseLosar wrote:
geek wrote:

On a planet without sentient life, perhaps.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 7:38 pm

I would say that it shouldn't have been locked IMO

geek - I don't agree there were many anti women posts. I do agree there have been anti gender posts in other threads that weren't locked.

I would have liked to qualify my post a bit more. Truth is you can't help who you are attracted to most of the time. It is probably possible to make some changes to your requirements, but with initial attraction you take them quirks and all.

Some people might tick all the boxes and still be no good for you. I'm clueless in relationships but maybe some damage limitation is in order whatever that may be.

I've heard the 'all men are pigs' uttered many times. Even by people I genuinely like. It is difficult to tell but it could be burning off steam when they are hurt. There is no right or wrong about it, it is a question of intent. Taking complements is not wrong. Maybe it is a bit shallow, if it is excessive. The reall point to my original post is if a woman really thought that all men are animals that wallow in s**t they probably wouldn't go back to them or try again.

However, I don't find it attractive or appealing when it is said vindictively.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 7:52 pm

Alex said "this is sexist" when he locked that thread, but as that is ambiguous, would that mean that was sexist against men?

Anyway, as it was locked I didn't have the time to reply as I was wondering why such statement was not considered "Misandry" or was it?

DeniseLosar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2007, 7:58 pm

geek wrote:
DeniseLosar wrote:
geek wrote:

On a planet without sentient life, perhaps.

Okay, thanks.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 8:03 pm

DeniseLosar wrote:
geek wrote:

Maybe not that simple, at least not without observing the possible ramifications of such society.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 8:06 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
geek - I don't agree there were many anti women posts.

Maybe it seemed more that way to me because I was replying to one when the thread was locked. My impression was that Alex locked it not for the one anti-male post, which was by then a couple of days old, but for all the drivel that followed. Guess one would have to ask Alex to know the answer for sure.

In any case, it was a stupid enough thread that I don't see why anyone should care. Any thread "topic" which is simply a statement that some class of people (by virtue of their genitalia, skin color, or whatever) are bad, is a waste of disk space. There have been a number of recent threads that were equally stupid, but at least people were presenting ideas, however ludicrous. The locked thread didn't even present an idea. It was exactly as worthless as a "Women are all..." or "Blacks are all..." or "Jews are all..." thread.

If anything, I'm surprised that more threads don't end up locked. I assume it's because Alex can't keep up with the volume.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 8:09 pm

DeniseLosar wrote:
Yes, you could say like A Clockwork Orange.

I just saw a portion of the movie, years ago, and it seemed quite interesting although as I didn't see the beginning I failed to understand it, and I saw the guy as 'The victim'.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 8:54 pm

greenblue wrote:
I just saw a portion of the movie, years ago, and it seemed quite interesting although as I didn't see the beginning I failed to understand it, and I saw the guy as 'The victim'.

Give it another shot. My favourite movie of all time.

Ziyaret
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Oct 2007, 8:59 pm

Sexism cuts both ways. If someone starts a thread bashing the opposite sex, than sure enough members of the opposite sex will respond with posts bashing the originators sex. It's that simple.

DeniseLosar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2007, 9:23 pm

juliekitty wrote:
greenblue wrote:

Give it another shot. My favourite movie of all time.

It is a good one for sure.
Yes, you should give it another go greenblue. I think the beginning is the best part, most entertaining.
Good book too.