Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2007, 9:32 am

I discovered I had aspergers, self knowing, about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Since that time, I have been researching more and more of who I am truly, and though I feel the missing piece of the puzzle has been found, I also get more anxious, with those around me...I have a right to feel the way that I do, to seek quieter places, to ask or not ask questions to peers, etc..Does this make sense? I no longer have the scarlet A on my sleeve,per say, that I am an outsider looking in, but rather I am an intelligent, sensitive, no nonsense individual who has a differently wired brain...Am I allowed to openly feel how I want to feel? Can I stop pretending that I enjoy meaningless chit-chat ? Wear what I want to wear, what shoes with what? I have 2 pairs, one black, one brown..I have always been a non-conformist, and I want others to know why I am so different from them, that there is a real , scientific, documented reason for my behavior.. i just get so befuddled sometimes....

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Nov 2007, 9:51 am

Indeed, it is good to feel compfortable with yourself and accept yourself for who you are.

However, I dont like certain things eather, but I do wish to have some social acceptance, and so I give and take, I may not wanna hang out all day long and go places ive never been without any plan, but I may have to engadge in chit chat and maby deal with loud noises and music and stuff. Goes with the territory.

It also depends on if you want others to know or not, i choose not to tell most people, so to be accepted, i need to appear as normal as possible, i have good practice, i do alright, but anybody who looks closly will notice a few differences.

I dont think you should change complenty your social ways as they are now, adjust accordingly but try not to isolate yourself in doing so.

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2007, 10:01 am

Thank you for the sound advice!! !

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2007, 10:20 am

I would like others to know that I am an aspie, it would help to reason out why I am who I am, why I do things the way I do, think, act, react...the relationships with friends that faded away due to my lack of being an NT, the way I cannot socialize with folks my age, or in-laws, or family members, why I wear what I wear,read when I need to,etc..If those around me knew what it was like to be me, it would help melt the wall that has enveloped me my whole life...Not because I am weird, or off, or nervous,but because I am wired differently, but still am a unique person.I am NOT putting myself on a pedestal, I just am proud to know what I am made of, there are millions of us, our daughter is autistic with MR, and I have always understood her better than anyone....any feedback, please? Thanks for listening...