Page 4 of 10 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Wilco
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 289
Location: Netherlands, Noord-Holland

04 Jan 2008, 3:51 am

But it's also how many times the parents jump in to help. the "good" games are challenging. and when my sister played my games, (let's just say crash bandicoot, challenging but still for kids) she died, and died, and died. not by fighting enemies, but by jumping too far or something like that. after she tried 3 times, she got angry and my dad rushed to help her. what was the result? every time she had to jump, my dad came to help her. and when he didnt help her anymore the game was too hard and she quit.

Conclusion: Games are very hard, but they need to be learned by trial and error. and my parents, as many others, didn't let my sister learn :(



TheRani
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 184
Location: Louisiana

04 Jan 2008, 12:38 pm

I'm a 35 year old woman, and I've played several MUDs (used to be a builder on one for a couple of years there), the AD&D gold box games, a few Wizardry games, a few Might and Magic games, Diablo, and Diablo II (SP only), Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Kingdom of Loathing, Maple Story (until the hackers took over), Fallout and Fallout 2, Divine Divinity, Sacred, Titan Quest, and several rogue-like games. I also have a Nintendo DS on which I play Puzzle Quest, Etrian Odyssey, and Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja.

As far as character classes go, I tend to prefer to play the thief/assassin types and ranged attackers, though I've played the occasional Spearazon, Seal Clubber, and Samurai. ;)

I also like The Sims and The Sims 2. And I play a mean game of Tetris. :lol:


_________________
Ichigo: "Dude.. your sister is Scary."


PLA
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,929
Location: Sweden

05 Jan 2008, 5:58 am

eelektrik wrote:
pandabear wrote:
My daughter is a gamer.

She knows the ins and outs of a lot of different Barbie games.

She also goes online to Playhouse Disney.


I think this is the reason there aren't as many girls out there who get into games. Working at Toys R Us Ive noticed most parents idea of buying video games for their daughters consist of getting them a Pink DS and whatever the latest Barbie, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, Etc. game is. Its no wonder they don't stick with it when they are only given crappy games.

My niece is being educated on games properly. When shes over here she always wants to play Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart, and Guitar Hero. She'll be 7 in February, 3 days before the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. If I can manage to find a new job before then and afford it, I'll be preordering it for her parents have a Wii. Though generally my sister and her husband just use it to play wii sports while drinking after the kids are in bed.

But yeah, working at TRU makes me want to make a giant sign that reads "If its based on a movie or TV series, it probably sucks".


Except for the licence-stuff by Starbreeze, of course. :lol:

But, yeah, children need proper education. This is serious business. With bad parenting, they could end up either completely taste-depraved, or harmfully addicted.

Take one of my cousins as an example. He's starting to recover, it seems, but for many years he has spent his time and money on hollywood-games. Awful.


_________________
I can make a statement true by placing it first in this signature.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."


Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,023

05 Jan 2008, 6:56 pm

Higher than I expected. If that's true then it's very cool indeed.



Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,015

05 Jan 2008, 7:04 pm

Veresae wrote:
Higher than I expected. If that's true then it's very cool indeed.


nice avatar


_________________
I am the DAN Monster. I have your child. You owe me twenty five thousand dollars.

xx Dan Monster


Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 557

05 Jan 2008, 7:06 pm

Veresae wrote:
Higher than I expected. If that's true then it's very cool indeed.

?
What's higher than you expected? The number of girl gamers here?
And yes, your avatar is very cool indeeed.



fabshelly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2007
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 207

05 Jan 2008, 8:30 pm

Comkeen wrote:
That statistic about 43% of the girls being 'gamers'?

That probably mostly applies to cel-phone games like Be-jeweled.

Girls still struggle at 'real' games like Half-Life 2 or Super Mario Galaxy. I'm not saying why, but the ones I've dated and hung out with only play Lego Star Wars because its easy and has unlimited lives, or Kingdom Of Hearts because of the Disney-esque cuteness and lack of difficulty in game play. Don't get me wrong, I've love to meet (and date) a hardcore female gamer.


With that attitude, I think it'll be a while. Or, you need to meet some better Gamer Girls.
My daughter beat Super Mario Galaxy in a day and a half.

I, on the other hand, do well at other games but like Harvest Moon best.



ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,157
Location: New Jersey

05 Jan 2008, 10:56 pm

All I want is someone that I can understand on a very basic level... gaming, IT, and certain forms of music are my interests, and since:

1) the IT girl is practically non-existant (practically because the few that are there are either taken or don't want to get involved with anyone), and
2) it seems like every girl (even the more sophisticated types) seem to be mostly into pop "music" (something I personally can't stand)...

I guess I am forced to find a gamer girl to finally be able to share a meaningful relationship with. The problem is that most gamer girls don't show the signs that male gamers show, such as talking about games alot, twitching thumbs, or finding the closest electronic device in range all the time, which leads to making it very difficult to spot one at first glance...



CymbalMonkey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 33
Location: Ashland, Oregon, USA, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way

05 Jan 2008, 11:48 pm

The only games I've ever liked are Myst and Black and White. It's funny, most guys play more games then Churchill made witty comments.



Travinator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jan 2008
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 26

06 Jan 2008, 12:01 am

I occasionally play WOW. Incidentally, you can blame my ex for that. I've never really been into games. It's taken me nearly a year, but I've gotten my main (an Orc Rogue) up to a level 52. Bronzebeard Server. It's a nice way to chat with others and remain busy playing a game when I have nothing better to do, but I prefer hanging out in the real world much more.



Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,015

06 Jan 2008, 12:26 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
All I want is someone that I can understand on a very basic level... gaming, IT, and certain forms of music are my interests, and since:

1) the IT girl is practically non-existant (practically because the few that are there are either taken or don't want to get involved with anyone), and
2) it seems like every girl (even the more sophisticated types) seem to be mostly into pop "music" (something I personally can't stand)...

I guess I am forced to find a gamer girl to finally be able to share a meaningful relationship with. The problem is that most gamer girls don't show the signs that male gamers show, such as talking about games alot, twitching thumbs, or finding the closest electronic device in range all the time, which leads to making it very difficult to spot one at first glance...


You didn't answer my question. How many females do you know offline?


_________________
I am the DAN Monster. I have your child. You owe me twenty five thousand dollars.

xx Dan Monster


ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,157
Location: New Jersey

06 Jan 2008, 2:31 am

Let's see... of my own age range (since one would assume I would be looking for people in my own age range), I have been in contact with about 20 women over the past year, most of it concentrated in two timeslots: the week of this post and another week last august...

My point isn't about how many I know offline, though, as I *see* women around all the time, but unlike other stereotypes such as athlete, preppy, grunge, etc., gamer girls don't manifest themselves in any outward way... meaning I can't identify them in public...



merr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Oct 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 515

06 Jan 2008, 2:36 am

fabshelly wrote:
[

My daughter beat Super Mario Galaxy in a day and a half.
Whaaaa?!? :hail:



Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 557

06 Jan 2008, 2:53 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
My point isn't about how many I know offline, though, as I *see* women around all the time, but unlike other stereotypes such as athlete, preppy, grunge, etc., gamer girls don't manifest themselves in any outward way... meaning I can't identify them in public...

That's true.
Most girls who play videogames don't usually scream 'videogame addict' in an obvious physical way. I think it's because a lot of girls want to be accepted by their more feminine friends as well as their gaming friends.
Being a girl is tough... if you don't pick your friends well then they end up going behind your back and being cruel. *sigh*
Sorry, I won't go on a rant. Anywho, back on topic.
I did wear my GH3 T-shirt out on Thursday, though. -_-;;;



ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,157
Location: New Jersey

06 Jan 2008, 3:01 am

I thought every girl knew everything about every other girl... :P

In all seriousness, however, I can see your point in where gamer girls walk that fine line between girl and gamer... but is there any kind of sign, even those subtle things that we aspies are so (not) able to readf, that would let men like me know that said woman is a gamer?



Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,015

06 Jan 2008, 3:48 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Let's see... of my own age range (since one would assume I would be looking for people in my own age range), I have been in contact with about 20 women over the past year, most of it concentrated in two timeslots: the week of this post and another week last august...

My point isn't about how many I know offline, though, as I *see* women around all the time, but unlike other stereotypes such as athlete, preppy, grunge, etc., gamer girls don't manifest themselves in any outward way... meaning I can't identify them in public...


You are correct about that. People don't peg me as a gamer, people also don't peg me as a musician.

You may just have to meet other gamer girls online in games or gamer forums. There is a game girl forum

http://www.grrlgamer.com/forum


_________________
I am the DAN Monster. I have your child. You owe me twenty five thousand dollars.

xx Dan Monster