Page 5 of 10 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 557

06 Jan 2008, 4:18 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
In all seriousness, however, I can see your point in where gamer girls walk that fine line between girl and gamer... but is there any kind of sign, even those subtle things that we aspies are so (not) able to readf, that would let men like me know that said woman is a gamer?

Tell tale signs? Besides occasional T-shirts and hanging out in gamestop? No... not really.

The only way to really know is to ask or talk with the girl. Get to know her a bit. Or if you don't want directly aproach her, which is understandable, then try hanging out nearby and chatting with some friends about various video games. If she shows an interest in one then try to include her in the conversation by asking her a casual question or two. Don't make her feel stupid by trying to impress her with your superior knowledge of a game, tempting as it may be, just listen to her and have a casual back and forth conversation about it.

But really, even if a girl is not a self proclaimed 'gamer' that doesn't mean that she doesn't want to learn some about video games. She probably won't be as interested in learning the in-depth plot and more obscure/complex controls of the game as someone who is a gamer, but she may still be curious about it. You really never know for sure until you ask.



Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,545

06 Jan 2008, 8:34 pm

Berserker wrote:
Do any girls here like games with excessive violence? I do.


ANSWER MY QUESTION PLEASE.



Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 557

06 Jan 2008, 9:14 pm

Berserker wrote:
Berserker wrote:
Do any girls here like games with excessive violence? I do.


ANSWER MY QUESTION PLEASE.

I'm fine with violence, as long as the game itself is interesting, but the amount of blood and gore doesn't really determine how much I like it.
The word 'excessive' connotates that there is more violence than necessary, in which case I'd have to say I don't like guts and stuff flying everywhere for no reason.
I'm trying to say that I don't play games to see the violence, I play games to play the games.
I explained that terribly. Sorry. Hope I made sense. -_-;;;



ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,157
Location: New Jersey

06 Jan 2008, 9:29 pm

Kitsy wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:
Let's see... of my own age range (since one would assume I would be looking for people in my own age range), I have been in contact with about 20 women over the past year, most of it concentrated in two timeslots: the week of this post and another week last august...

My point isn't about how many I know offline, though, as I *see* women around all the time, but unlike other stereotypes such as athlete, preppy, grunge, etc., gamer girls don't manifest themselves in any outward way... meaning I can't identify them in public...


You are correct about that. People don't peg me as a gamer, people also don't peg me as a musician.

You may just have to meet other gamer girls online in games or gamer forums. There is a game girl forum

http://www.grrlgamer.com/forum


Given that I don't really trust online experiences (at least in terms of the whole dating thing), I don't think I can pursue that avenue. I just wish that gamer girls out there just talked about games like men do. Not all up in arms about it like some of the more extreme men, but more like the average male gamer. Then there would be some women that I could really relate to...



Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 557

06 Jan 2008, 9:34 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
I just wish that gamer girls out there just talked about games like men do. Not all up in arms about it like some of the more extreme men, but more like the average male gamer.

I was not aware there was a right and wrong way to talk about games.
Could you possibly elaborate some more?
What do you mean 'talk about games like men do'?



ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,157
Location: New Jersey

06 Jan 2008, 9:37 pm

well by "like men" i meant "like men that are gamers"... little miscommunication there...

My main point, however, is this: gamer girls don't exactly make public the fact that they are gamers... the reason I would say that it would be easier if they were is because, being an aspie and all, I have the most horrible time reading non-verbal communication...



Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 557

06 Jan 2008, 9:53 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
well by "like men" i meant "like men that are gamers"... little miscommunication there...

My main point, however, is this: gamer girls don't exactly make public the fact that they are gamers... the reason I would say that it would be easier if they were is because, being an aspie and all, I have the most horrible time reading non-verbal communication...

I got that, I wasn't offended, don't worry. Sorry if i sounded angry, I wasn't.

But I think I get what you mean now, you wish that girl gamers were as obvious about their gaming obsessions as guy gamers are with theirs.
I wish guys were more verbally obvious with a lot of other things too, but they still aren't. *sigh*

Yeah... nonverbal communication sucks that way, I guess. Oh well.



Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,545

07 Jan 2008, 12:45 am

Jaejoongfangirl wrote:
Berserker wrote:
Berserker wrote:
Do any girls here like games with excessive violence? I do.


ANSWER MY QUESTION PLEASE.

I'm fine with violence, as long as the game itself is interesting, but the amount of blood and gore doesn't really determine how much I like it.
The word 'excessive' connotates that there is more violence than necessary, in which case I'd have to say I don't like guts and stuff flying everywhere for no reason.
I'm trying to say that I don't play games to see the violence, I play games to play the games.
I explained that terribly. Sorry. Hope I made sense. -_-;;;


That makes sense. Well, to me it does.



merr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Oct 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 515

07 Jan 2008, 12:50 am

Berserker wrote:
Berserker wrote:
Do any girls here like games with excessive violence? I do.


ANSWER MY QUESTION PLEASE.
It doesn't bother me. My favorite weapon on Tomb Raider was the bazooka. I just liked going around the level shooting people with it and seeing the parts fly into the screen for some reason. :?



ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,157
Location: New Jersey

07 Jan 2008, 1:48 am

Jaejoongfangirl wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:
well by "like men" i meant "like men that are gamers"... little miscommunication there...

My main point, however, is this: gamer girls don't exactly make public the fact that they are gamers... the reason I would say that it would be easier if they were is because, being an aspie and all, I have the most horrible time reading non-verbal communication...

I got that, I wasn't offended, don't worry. Sorry if i sounded angry, I wasn't.

But I think I get what you mean now, you wish that girl gamers were as obvious about their gaming obsessions as guy gamers are with theirs.
I wish guys were more verbally obvious with a lot of other things too, but they still aren't. *sigh*

Yeah... nonverbal communication sucks that way, I guess. Oh well.


It's all good... You just offered your points against mine and I was then offering my rebuttals...



flailure
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 312
Location: my office

07 Jan 2008, 2:57 am

Berserker wrote:
Berserker wrote:
Do any girls here like games with excessive violence? I do.


ANSWER MY QUESTION PLEASE.

My wife does.


_________________
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"
- George Carlin


Brian003
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 402
Location: University of Michigan Ann Arbor

07 Jan 2008, 9:20 am

I have to question the accuracy of such statistics- Most girls do not like video games.

The usually complain about how guys spend so much time playing them.

So wouldn't that make girls......uhhhmmmmm HYPOCRITES?



merr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Oct 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 515

07 Jan 2008, 10:16 am

Brian003 wrote:
I have to question the accuracy of such statistics- Most girls do not like video games.

The usually complain about how guys spend so much time playing them.

So wouldn't that make girls......uhhhmmmmm HYPOCRITES?
I dont get it. How does this make girls hypocrites if the ones who dont like games dont want their boyfreinds to play them a lot?

I dont mind my boyfriend playing a lot. But if Im there sitting in his room on the bed while he plays all day and this happens all the time, it might get a tad boring. I still like games and dont mind if he plays them.



0hanrahan
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jan 2008
Age: 50
Gender: Male
Posts: 109

07 Jan 2008, 10:34 am

Sedaka wrote:
lvl 70 hunter/mage Uldum Avatars of Destruction WoW since beta baby FTW!! !! :P


I was an old school D&D guy, but the last CRPG game I played was "Morrowind".

Is it possible to meet women interested in dating on WoW?
It might be more cost-efficient (not cheap!) than going to the bar or Starbucks a couple of times a week AND I would be more likely to meet a woman more like me.



Ioini
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2007
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 110
Location: Ontario, Canada

07 Jan 2008, 11:32 am

I'm mostly a Guild Wars guy cause there's no monthly fees. The guild I am in has females in it. A few of them are married.

I would never do a virtual date with any girl in that game it would be to weird. Speaking of weird I had gotten a long-distance girlfriend while I was playing Halo 1 on the computer.



Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2006
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,597
Location: In the recesses of my mind

07 Jan 2008, 3:09 pm

0hanrahan wrote:
Sedaka wrote:
lvl 70 hunter/mage Uldum Avatars of Destruction WoW since beta baby FTW!! !! :P


I was an old school D&D guy, but the last CRPG game I played was "Morrowind".

Is it possible to meet women interested in dating on WoW?
It might be more cost-efficient (not cheap!) than going to the bar or Starbucks a couple of times a week AND I would be more likely to meet a woman more like me.


anything's possible... i wouldn't play the game unless you enjoy it... there are way more guys than girls and unless you're in a guild where people talk to each other over audio servers all the time... it's hard to meet people imo... the general written chats are not a dating service by any means... but in my guild, we've had some love connections... as i said, we often got together in IRL too... so if you try, pick a server in your timezone.


_________________
Neuroscience PhD student

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl