Is it that bad not to get someone a gift?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

j5689
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2009, 8:24 pm

The girl I like was looking at me a lot this week(that's all I've really got to on that she might like me). Maybe she was expecting a valentine's gift from me but I didn't even consider it cause I thought she might think it's weird if I give her one and she doesn't actually like me.

Would this make her mad at me if she was expecting it or could she possibly understand where I'm coming from?

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 8:35 pm

There's no problem not doing it when you don't go out with her. Would be a good way to open the relationship though, if you're aiming for one.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 11:11 pm

Wait, you've never talked to her? I'm not sure any gift would be appropriate. I've had problems with taking the initiative at times and not having it work out. Try it and see, at least you are bound to learn something new.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

j5689
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2009, 11:32 pm

I've talked to her before many times. I always have to initiate the conversation though and she won't. But she also looks at me a lot on some days, this week has been no exception.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 12:07 am

j5689 wrote:
I've talked to her before many times. I always have to initiate the conversation though and she won't. But she also looks at me a lot on some days, this week has been no exception.

If you are the one always initiating the conversation, it usually means she is either shy, or she isn't interested. Women are complicated sometimes.

Unless I knew someone really well, or was going out with them, I wouldn't buy them a gift because it would probably creep them out, or they might laugh at you and think it was kind of corny.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 2:09 am

Just keep talking with her and chatting try and talk about movies or tv or music or something and get her to relax then she'll start talking to you more on her own if she wants. DON'T buy her gifts unless you've been good friends a long time OR your already dating just don't it'll creep her out end of story sux but thats life sometimes.

jessimus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2009, 2:34 am

being a female myself i can tell you id much rather worthwhile conversation than a gift. but hey maybe thats just me. find out her interests, expecially things like taste in music. or you could even try an approach that gets me interested. i like to walk away from a conversation with something to think about. give her a topic thats really challenging and stimulates her thoughts alot. dont argue with her of course, but remember one thing, most girls wont respond if it just seems like the boring topics that everyone talks about nonstop. might be a little harder to pull off but should be worth it in the end if shes anything like me. maybe, maybe not. basically give her the gift of a smile rather than something materialistic.

j5689
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2009, 9:37 am

Yeah, that's the thing. Whenever I talk to her, I start suddenly losing my confidence and things go silent because she can tell, and then she mirrors it.

My ice breaker is usually some kind of electronic device I really think she can use. From there we talk about other small talky things and I run out of things and then it just goes downhill. I'm not even sure what she sees in me if anything.

For the first few months that I knew her, I could talk to her just confidently as anything because she sat right behind me every day and I felt like I had all the the time I wanted to talk to her and then one year ago, on this day, the seats were switched and it shook my confidence too much and I started f^cking up left and right.

smartguy47
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2009, 4:00 pm

j5689 wrote:

I'd buy a cactus; it's cheap, under $5, and expresses the beginning of your relationship. But most likely, if she hasn't conversed back, I'm doubtful that she's interested.

Last edited by smartguy47 on 14 Feb 2009, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 4:10 pm

why would you buy someone a gift because they were staring at you?

If you wanna buy her a gift, buy her a pizza from your school cafeteria