Page 1 of 10 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 2:15 pm

I was surfing wikipedia and came across this statement in the article about the Girl gamer

Quote:
According to a study conducted by the Entertainment Software Association in 2005, women now comprise 43% of all gamers.

If this is correct, why haven't I seen any around? The idea that there are so many women out there that I may actually share interests with is a possible windfall for me (since one of my criteria for possible women is that we need to share at least one common interest)...

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 2:19 pm

lvl 70 hunter/mage Uldum Avatars of Destruction WoW since beta baby FTW!! !! :P

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

aideen
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2008, 2:21 pm

WoW yay!

kitschinator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2008, 2:24 pm

I love video and computer games, and have played MMORPGs. :D

Lots of girls do, but I bet it's even higher among Aspies, since we gravitate towards that sort of activity anyway.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 2:37 pm

My wife's a big time gamer girl, but she won't play online or even on console, she prefers her DS. Idk about how many are on WoW but there's a LOT of women playing Final Fantasy XI Online.... at least on the Bismarck server. I think you'll find a lot of female gamers are older, 30 and up is fairly common from what I've seen.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 2:42 pm

A long time ago, I was talking to a computer game developer who said that they noticed that girls liked wizard types and lots of magic, while guys were happy to be barbarians and a wider variety of role playing characters.

Also, girls like puzzle game types, like Tetrus.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 2:44 pm

i play the classes i do... cuase i know i would suck at being a healer-type... where i have to payattention to everyone's health and keep em alive...

i just want to killinate things :P

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Jan 2008, 2:52 pm

While I've played MMO's, I can't dedicate alot of time to them. Also people generally think all characters in a game even with female avatars are male unless proven otherwise. If you correct someone that calls you he, you may get a dumb response like, nuh uh, internetsz are men onlyz.

I tried WOW. got bored within a few months. Was in a hardcore guild too. They kept asking me over and over if I wanted to stay online for long periods of time to do an end game instance and I kept repeatedly having to say no. I finally got fed up but by that time I was bored too.

Then of course there was the whole "Oh this girl plays wow and she's actually pretty good" Ummm...it's not that freaking hard to click on icons.

City of Heroes, couldn't stand that game because of the ugly neon green super powers. If you didn't have those super powers, there was someone else who did and I couldn't take it anymore.

Vanguard. Got banned within a few weeks. I had more fun finding exploits than playing the game.

Everquest. Got bored. They finally implemented changes much needed like a mini map. I can see where WOW got most of their ideas from. Even some of the sim names are similiar like The Crossroads.

I am more into casual gaming. I do not like grouping up alot and I do not like hardcore gamers in guilds who make you feel uncomfortable because you don't want to stay on for 3-15 hours to get uber elite armor and weapons.

xx Dan Monster

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 3:53 pm

Sedaka wrote:
i play the classes i do... cuase i know i would suck at being a healer-type... where i have to payattention to everyone's health and keep em alive...

Really? Healing's my specialty. Level 62 Priest and 70 druid ;-)

Everchanging
Toucan
Toucan

Location: In my ivory tower where I don't have to pretend to care what you think any more.

02 Jan 2008, 3:56 pm

The Sims 2 sort of f***ed the stats up a lot though...

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Jan 2008, 4:01 pm

Sedaka wrote:

I hated being a priest. I'd have to group up with people and then I'd say, my mana is low wait. Instead they would go in and take on a mob and scream HEALLLL HEALLLLL OMGZ PRIEST HEAAALL.....

Then they would die and scold me. One time when that happened, I ended up rounding up a mob and then left the group and they all died.

I preferred playing a warlock.

xx Dan Monster

Cadzie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jan 2008, 4:08 pm

Yeah I know some good gamer girls, scary, but good, best players ever, lots of good larpers,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVZczLuoJoU

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 4:13 pm

Gaming is how I met my husband, we are very young so we have spare time to play together.
I do not like WoW, I do not know why. But Resident Evil and just about anything else that involves killing zombies fills me with joy.
I like Warhammer too, though that's not video/computer gaming.
I think most female gamers are probably Aspies.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 5:23 pm

Been addicted years...hooked on phantom hourglass at the moment. :wink:

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 5:47 pm

Funny, I've never really liked computer games that much even though I like programing. I probably enjoy programing a game more than playing it. The mystery is lost on me. The only game I really played is a computer Go game.

I'm not sure I'd really be interested in 'gamer girls' unless it expressed and individual side to them in some way.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 6:25 pm

I don't seem to have a problem finding and talking to gamer girls online, but usually none of the ones I come across live around here and/or are already in a relationship and I wouldn't have a chance with them anyways. I need to find a way to meet them locally.