Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CardinalRed
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2008, 12:19 pm

A friend of mine is an aspie and he talks about his "shadow" which he can't take out into public even at a relatives house for a glass of wine.

What does he mean by that? Please explain.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 12:23 pm

What are me mind readers?

Ah yes I remember...his shadow is an obnoxious bastard always belittling him, probably best if you keep him locked the broom closet.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 12:24 pm

Sorry I have never heard of that term, shadow, it must just be a quirk your friend has, maybe just a fear of people or places. I also have a fear of crowds, and can't stand going into mall on weekends, or even meeting new people.

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 1:31 pm

His evil twin? Or maybe he is just refering to a part of himself that for some reason doesn't belong in public, like anger.

But if you really want to know you should ask him not us.

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 1:43 pm

I would guess he is saying that a large part of his identity or personality cannot be show to or shared with others. This may be because it would bother others or be considered inappropriate, or because he feels others cannot understand that part of him. I know I feel this way around a lot of people.

This is just my best guess, though. You have to ask him, as the others here have said.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 4:50 pm

Well, I have two distinct personalities. One is my autistic personality, which almost no one ever sees. It's who I get to be when I get home from work in the evening and I don't have to be concerned with how people are perceiving me. My other personality is who I am in public. That personality is more extroverted and behaves in a manner more consistant with social norms.

- Emerson

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 4:58 pm

My deepest nature is incompatible with society, over the years I've developed a social me, that always feels fake, the shadow thing makes a lot of sense to me, I would define it as the true me.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 5:37 pm

it's the person who holds up the other side of the conversation in your inner monolog...;)

_Thinktank_
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Apr 2008, 5:43 pm

lol if it like the game earthbound, its an evil gold statue will all the same powers as him LOL :lol:

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 5:47 pm

ive never heard that before.....

xx

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 11:16 pm

Maybe he's referring to that cold, dark, calculating part of a person they kep inside. The part of you that sees the world and the people on it as nothing but objects to be manipulated for your own self-justified uses.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 11:58 pm

I haven't heard the expression myself, but I would guess that he means he's a depressing person to be around, in that he casts a shadow. ???

TrubPotto
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2008, 12:20 am

biostructure wrote:
I would guess he is saying that a large part of his identity or personality cannot be show to or shared with others. This may be because it would bother others or be considered inappropriate, or because he feels others cannot understand that part of him. I know I feel this way around a lot of people.

This is just my best guess, though. You have to ask him, as the others here have said.

I'm gonna agree with biostructure, since that's sorta how I've felt myself at times - having a "part of myself" deep down that I just could not, under any circumstances, reveal to anyone.

But also, like many people have said, the only way to really know is to ask him.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Apr 2008, 12:02 pm

I split myself. For a protection/survival thing. People that have earned my trust get to see me, people that don't get mask me. Complete and utter strangers sometimes get to see me if i am in a really good mood or a really bad one.

So i can see him calling something his shadow, unless he's just gone over the deep end and has lost all touch with reality. You really just need to ask him.

Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 10:55 pm

CardinalRed wrote:
A friend of mine is an aspie and he talks about his "shadow" which he can't take out into public even at a relatives house for a glass of wine.

What does he mean by that? Please explain.

In Jungian psychology the Shadow if I remember correctly was the inverse of yourself though I doubt that is what he means because I believe in it he stated everything was inversed. Example: If you are a male your shadow is a female.

tybald
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2008, 6:52 am

I have my (real) AS personality and an NT mask. As a child the AS personality was more dominant but over the years the NT mask has become more encompassing. Sometimes I feel like I've had to hide the AS part of me so much that I don't even know who I am so its not always healthy to leave your shadow at home. Bring it to the party and see how long people last!