The REAL reason why I have developed feelings for SpongeBob!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 12:52 am

I was thinking about this and I came to this conclusion based on what I read on a SpongeBob SquarePants fansite called SpongeBuddy Mania and the website TV Tropes

The reason I have created an emotional attachment to SpongeBob is because of all the pain and torture he repeatedly endures in his show!

I cannot stand to see him suffer even if he is a fictional cartoon character

That is what caused the attachment

It makes sense right?

I believe the people behind the show like Stephen Hillenburg intended for this to be the outcome

In other words, they designed SpongeBob SquarePants the character with his quirks and traits on purpose in order for people to form an attachment to him!

I even have evidence to support my theory:

The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (2004)

Specifically the scene where SpongeBob and Patrick almost die!

Now think to yourself...

What possible reason would they have for doing this?

Why would Viacom/Paramount, Nickelodeon and United Plankton Pictures decide to put in a scene where SpongeBob SquarePants & Patrick Star basically die from dehydration?

To find the answer refer back to what I said above!

Unfortunately for me I am in too deep at this point and it's going to be REALLY HARD to break away from this :(

Even getting married in real life may not completely put a halt to the dreams and fantasies!! !

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 12:53 am

I might also post this in the Television forum since it concerns a TV show

DazyDaisy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2024, 2:26 am

But it the same with most of fictional characters, from classic fairytails, over literature, movies, song lyrics, you name it. It may have something to do with trauma bonding but also with identifying with those who suffer because of our own pains and sufferings. We like to watch/read things like that because we also expect a fair outcome, a justice for our "hero", be him Spong Bob.

I personaly like him because he's small, cute, had tiny, little, funny legs and is unbelievably cute when he burst with tears and cry out loud. Here's how he sounds in my country (01:40):

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 7:51 am

All characters in films and TV are created to be relatable. That is what keeps audiences coming back: because they care about the characters and see something of themselves in them.

The drama in films and TV is also heightened compared to real life, because that too engages audiences on an emotional level.

In cartoons in particular, there are often depictions of extreme circumstances that the characters then recover from. For instance Wile E. Coyote would die in every episode if he was a real animal who had those things happen to him.

I agree that Spongebob is adorable. I like him because he is sweet and kind, no matter the obstacles or the seeming indifference of the characters he wants to help and cheer up.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 9:09 am

I don't like his nose. It makes me feel a bit queasy. A lot of modern cartoon characters makes me feel ill for some reason. Peter Griffin's bum chin is another one. All the Rugrats too. :eew:

DazyDaisy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2024, 11:54 am

@Bee33

Quote:
In cartoons in particular, there are often depictions of extreme circumstances that the characters then recover from. For instance Wile E. Coyote would die in every episode if he was a real animal who had those things happen to him.

True :lol: :lol: !

Quote:
I agree that Spongebob is adorable. I like him because he is sweet and kind, no matter the obstacles or the seeming indifference of the characters he wants to help and cheer up.

You put it so nicely :heart: . I think the same.

@DuckHairback

Quote:
I don't like his nose.

Me neither. But he has cute upper front teeth :lol: .

ElmersTrueLove
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Mar 2024, 11:59 am

My attachment to characters is seen as immature by my family.

During the Aladdin phase (where I was a more serious collector!) I had a Genie cake and I was worried about eating it, I survived.

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

DazyDaisy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2024, 12:11 pm

ElmersTrueLove wrote:

So what, you don't hurt anybody by that. My mom liked watching cartoons with me and she loved doing that until her last day. The same will be with me. Some scenes from various cartoons became antological, I can always watch them, especially when they make me laugh.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 6:36 pm

ElmersTrueLove wrote:

During the Aladdin phase (where I was a more serious collector!) I had a Genie cake and I was worried about eating it, I survived.

Everyone thinks there MUST be something wrong with me because I have become emotionally attached to a fictional cartoon character but that's not necessarily true!

SpongeBob and I share so many things in common

If anything it just means that he is a well-designed and well-written character

Or it could also mean that I am getting serious about finding a partner in real life so I'm using SpongeBob SquarePants and other characters as kind of a test or a blueprint for real-life partner criteria!! !