Are Asperger Men more into Looks?

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 10:57 am

This is not to offend anyone. I have met a few Aspie guys and I am Aspie female.

Aspie girls I have met do not seem to be obsessed with their guys' looks. I have dated some great lookers and dorky looking guys. I liked the both.

But the Aspie guys - 100% of them- were way more into looks than any non-Asp guy I dated. I MEAN OBSESSED. Obsessed with sex, looks, who is hot- almost like they were stuck in teen-age mode. Flick them in the wrong spot and -boom- instant reaction. And age range of men I am talking of was 22- 47.

Please don't get me wrong. I love Aspie guys because they can be very senstive and kind. But I would not date another.

Conversely, Aspie girls I have met are all up into theory and thought and philosophy and we want to talk about that, not the hot chick on TV or wanting to rub me with baby oil for four hours. OK, an hour would be nice, but 4 and then no talk about philosophy?! I can pay for that.

Just a question. Please don't take offense anyone. Just kindly point out if and where I am wrong! :-D

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 11:00 am

I wouldn't say that most aspie men are THAT obsessed into looks. There is some concern about looks yes, but not as extreme as you are saying. Those that are probably have problems discerning reality from things like TV...

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 11:00 am

i care 0.00000001% how i look and 0.0001 how my hair looks :P autism is diffrent with every person really it depends

intense
Toucan
Toucan

02 Sep 2008, 11:04 am

I'm not, beware of sweeping generalisations not all aspie's are the same you know. To be totally obsessed with looks alone is extremely shallow whether you've got asperger's or not.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 11:09 am

I think it's because many of us (though not all) Aspies tend to be more "immature" than NT's, especially when it comes to emotional development.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 11:13 am

It could be that people who have trouble with emotional reciprocity resort to phyisical reciprocity.

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2008, 11:20 am

I'm a firm believer that looks synergies with personality. You could be a perfect 10, but if you act uncivilized, I couldn't tolerate being around you.

*I picked this username 4 years ago when I was in high school. Don't hold it against me.

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 11:22 am

You must be talking about insecure aspie guys. They kind who need to prove to themselves that they can date women as asthetically pleasing as NT guys can.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 11:36 am

Sorenna wrote:
But the Aspie guys - 100% of them- were way more into looks than any non-Asp guy

I beg to differ. While I can't speak for other aspie guys, looks aren't all that important to me. Well, maybe I shouldn't say that, I guess it's the reverse for me. In my case, the kind of women that most guys drool over are actually the kind that turn me off. The women that guys seem to want nothing to do with are the ones that I usually find attractive. In high school, there was a girl that everyone called vulgar names like "skank" or "whore" because she wasn't beautiful in their eyes. I however thought she was cute as a button. Unfortunately, she wouldn't have anything to do with me because the girls said degrading things about me.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 11:40 am

the thought of touching anyone is not very pleasing unless i have some connection with the person. and to gain that i need to admire her, usually for her personality.

however, i am slim and therefore i find chubby people a little repulsive.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 12:04 pm

from what I have seen, that is true
a lot try to cover it up...but its just for show

intense
Toucan
Toucan

02 Sep 2008, 12:09 pm

Kilroy wrote:
from what I have seen, that is true
a lot try to cover it up...but its just for show
So you think you can speak for all of us then :roll:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 12:20 pm

Some are into looks, some aren't.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Erminea
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 1:30 pm

Hi there,

It is probably a self-esteem thing. I tend to go a bit vain when I feel a bit insecure. And I'm not bothered when I'm good and full of confidence.

A bit of vanity isn't bad, I think 'cos otherwise I would really look like a bum. Not shaved, bad teeth, wrecked(?) closes, those sort of things.

Into the nuisance state again, this....
Isn't self-esteem the determiner how you perceive things? The lens you look through or the perceptive you take determines what you see or how it gets through to you.

mmmm.

Best of luck to you all,
Ceesjan

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 1:34 pm

Sorenna wrote:
This is not to offend anyone. I have met a few Aspie guys and I am Aspie female.

Aspie girls I have met do not seem to be obsessed with their guys' looks. I have dated some great lookers and dorky looking guys. I liked the both.

But the Aspie guys - 100% of them- were way more into looks than any non-Asp guy I dated. I MEAN OBSESSED. Obsessed with sex, looks, who is hot- almost like they were stuck in teen-age mode. Flick them in the wrong spot and -boom- instant reaction. And age range of men I am talking of was 22- 47.

Please don't get me wrong. I love Aspie guys because they can be very senstive and kind. But I would not date another.

Conversely, Aspie girls I have met are all up into theory and thought and philosophy and we want to talk about that, not the hot chick on TV or wanting to rub me with baby oil for four hours. OK, an hour would be nice, but 4 and then no talk about philosophy?! I can pay for that.

Just a question. Please don't take offense anyone. Just kindly point out if and where I am wrong! :-D

Well I think you ARE wrong. Aspie men are probably a lot more honest about what they're looking for than NT men.
We're not all that good about concealing our true intentions and motivations, which is what it takes to for a man to
persuade a woman to grant him sexual access.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 1:46 pm

While I am not saying loooks are totally unimportant, I would definitely not consider it a priority or a very important thing. Usually when I like a girls personality and fall for her, I will also find her physically attractive, see things I didnt notice before such as how cute her smile is, how beautiful her eyes are, ... I would not say looks are trivial to me, but definitely amongst the more important aspects of the girls I liked. Personality is much more important. Also, I sort of dislike terminology like "hot" somehow.

I must say I am a bit vain about my own looks though. Hence maybe why I am so attached to wearing make-up. Many men seem to not care too much about their looks, or not in great details though.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)