If a girl says she's feeling cold...

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

m91
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2008, 6:45 am

If a girl says she's feeling cold, does this mean she wants you to put your arm around her or that she wants a hug?
There have been a few times when one of my female friends have said this to me.

I read this somewhere, and I'm wondering if this is true, and I'm kicking myself for not realising something so simple.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 7:13 am

It might just be stating the obvious.

She might be aspergers 8) (or conversely, cold) and only able to state the obvious-not think through remeding it. If your thinkers working a notch beyond hers that day, you might be nice to look about for a sweater or arrange getting her coat/shawl. If your not to cold you might ask her if she would like yours or offer her beneath the armpit of yours.

Don't keep her out in the drizzle :wink:

I tend to state the obvious alot.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 7:43 am

m91 wrote:
If a girl says she's feeling cold, does this mean she wants you to put your arm around her or that she wants a hug?
There have been a few times when one of my female friends have said this to me.

I read this somewhere, and I'm wondering if this is true, and I'm kicking myself for not realising something so simple.

It's usually a good indicator that its time to put an arm around her or something... either way, she's voicing the concern because she wants you to do something to help her feel not as cold. The kicker comes if it's not that cold outside but she says its cold anyway. In that case, 95% of the time she says that because she wants some form of physical contact...

Note: This only applies when a woman says she's cold. If she says "It's f****n cold out here", that's a different story entirely...

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 8:45 am

If you are not sure then just lend her your jacket and watch her reaction...

m91
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2008, 6:50 pm

Hmm I think it would look a bit awkward if she wears some baggy, puffy jacket that doesn't fit her :wink:

Could I lend my jacket anyway?

Praetorius
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2008, 7:39 pm

I say: if she says she's feeling cold, don't do anything. Offering your jacket or putting your arm around her gives away your intentions. Maybe if you put your arm around her jokingly, that's fine, but I wouldn't earnestly try to warm her up or anything.

Saffy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2008, 8:27 pm

If I am standing with a male I like .. and I say I'm cold .. I would like to either have a jacket offered ( note offered - " would you like my jacket to wear ? ) and/or an arm around me depending on the closeness of the relationship.
( response from an NT female )

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 8:52 pm

m91 wrote:
Hmm I think it would look a bit awkward if she wears some baggy, puffy jacket that doesn't fit her :wink:

Could I lend my jacket anyway?
That is how it should look. It is expected that you lend her the jacket, and then put your arm around her to warm her up. If she does not like it, she will not take the jacket or she will not let you put your arm around her. Always insist on lending the jacket at least twice.
The decisions are hers as how to respond to the actions she asked of you. Just make sure you respect her decisions.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 11:23 pm

Mudboy wrote:
That is how it should look. It is expected that you lend her the jacket, and then put your arm around her to warm her up. If she does not like it, she will not take the jacket or she will not let you put your arm around her. Always insist on lending the jacket at least twice.
The decisions are hers as how to respond to the actions she asked of you. Just make sure you respect her decisions.

The way I see it, if she wasn't expecting an arm and/or a jacket around her, she wouldn't bring the subject up...

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 11:57 pm

If women don't like being touched without permission, then they should not expect guys to interpret such generic comments like "I'm cold" as a cue for hugging/physical contact.

Saffy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2008, 1:47 am

It's a subtle invite, women generally do not like to be blunt e.g there are not many that would say I'm cold, give me your jacket and put your arm around me, make me feel protected and warm.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2008, 12:50 pm

Hmmm... at bare minimum, she's saying she's cold solely because she is in fact cold. Assuming there's nothing to correlate her statement as anything beyond that, just be considerate of her coldness and give her another layer, turn up the heat (with the thermostat :P ) or something.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 12:56 pm

They are words; not absolutes... there is no single right answer, as the real intent will likely be in other cues - ones that I miss. When in doubt, ask and respond - offer your coat, or to share it. Don't presume.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 1:18 pm

Like others have said, it's really hard to tell without looking at the whole situation. There are a variety of women, that want different things, from different people, at different times...and all of this is changeable, at any moment. No offense to anyone, but most women are complicated.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 5:33 pm

If she says she's cold, then give her your jacket! If she says "won't you be cold though?" just reply "No, I'll be fine" (even if you will be cold :lol: )

Legato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:17 am

Cyanide wrote:
If she says she's cold, then give her your jacket! If she says "won't you be cold though?" just reply "No, I'll be fine" (even if you will be cold :lol: )

Chivalry's a b***h. I've been in that situation a number of times. I'm a tall skinny guy, so I have little insulation. When I offer a jacket to a cold female who I'm interested in, I usually end up trying my damnedest to not shiver and make it too obvious.

I think it's that male instinct to appear strong in front of the female that keeps us from shaking profusely even though there are icicles falling off our scrotum. I also think that the females find this entertaining, watching us squirm just to keep them warm.

*shakes fist*