Decent Dating Sites; know any?

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MisterHeron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2008, 6:16 am

I was just curious, because there isn't much mention of them here. I know OkCupid is nice, and has one of the largest membership bases around, but I'm curious about any others there might be out there. I'm already signed up at AspieAffection.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 6:52 am

MisterHeron wrote:
I was just curious, because there isn't much mention of them here. I know OkCupid is nice, and has one of the largest membership bases around, but I'm curious about any others there might be out there. I'm already signed up at AspieAffection.

OkCupid doesn't really cater to aspies, but its a good site. Its not a good idea to list AS on your profile. There is also match.com (pay site) and craigs's list. Some people use myspace.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 9:06 am

There's plentyoffish.com too.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 9:56 am

OKCupid seems to be cool in terms of profiles, you can answer about 500 questions ranging from personal preferences in music, films, etc to political and ideological opinions. You also have the option to indicate how important those specific things are to you in order to find a match as good as possible.

I considered using OKcupid.com myself but there seems to be an odd thing that they use real profiles for games ... which is quite weird, although apparently there should be an option to indicate you don't want this.

What features make plentyoffish.com any good?

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 12:42 pm

Zara wrote:
There's plentyoffish.com too.

I've used that before.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 2:07 pm

A while ago I opened this topic on dating services compared, no useful replies came. So if we discuss dating sites, maybe add WHY you like/dislike a specific site? I consider using one myself but don't feel like trying them all first, I already lost track of the sites where I have an account so I rather would like some experiences on several sites before picking one to try myself.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 3:10 pm

Well my gripes about dating sites kind of apply to all of them so I can't really single any out.

Lack of interesting females in my area, too many females who just want to be friends, too many females looking for the same man(well-off, successful, good looking, socially competent... reads books(I swear, every woman's profile has that))

Not there's anything wrong about liking books... it's just boring when looking for a date.

Oh, and sometimes I do get miffed by such a majority of females who come off in their profiles as anti-sex. Nothing works quite better to make a man look the other way that giving the impression you hate sex. Be realistic ladies.

For that matter, I don't bother with pay sites. I'd rather spend my limited income on an actual date.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 3:46 pm

I'm on gothic dating sites and they're all pretty terrible. If you can't send a real message (or even READ one) without paying and, if you're a free user, can only send pre-written "winks," and are not allowed to give your myspace or email or IM screen names...then it's pretty damn messed up.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 6:27 pm

I am goth myself but would not want any gothic dating sites. I think it is just pointless to restrict yourself to fishing in a pond with few wish while there are so many nice non-goth girls around as well. I have not tried any dating sites but if I would try one (I have considered it) I would take one that is more general. My girl does not have to be goth, I just want several common interests, gothic can be one of them but it doesn't have to be. I do love goth girls but many of the younger goth girls (18-23 etc) have not really gotten a clue what the goth subculture is about and mainly are goth in terms of music and dress only.

I would love a travellers dating site. I am not willing to give up my lifestyle of frequent emigrations and wandering, so I need a girl who shares my dreams to travel the world. They exist but they're not easy to find and the traveller girls I met all had a boyfriend they were travelling with. I have searched if dating sites for travellers exist, but have not found any such site yet. Someone told me to try OKCupid though, but although it seems a decent site I am not sure what the link with travellers is...

ccflowergirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 11:33 pm

I’ve used plenty of fish before, saw it here some guy posted about it so for some reason i thought that you could say I’m Aspie looking for a Aspie and see what happens, but that’s not the case, i don't think most people even know what that means, I thought they would just leave me alone, unless they knew. i have guys message me and none of them want to get to know me or let me find out any thing about them first, just im me , where do you want to meet, or here’s my phone #, one guy said throw on a swimsuit and come float with me in his pool, and that was his first message to me! They scare the s**t out of me, why would I meet or call a complete stranger, some say in there profiles if you don't have a picture... or will massage you and say only, send a picture! How rude and why would I send one to a stranger? it hasn't worked out well for me, oh a forgot to say and the people on plenty o fish live not just in your state but could live next door to you or in your own neighborhood, Mr. pool was very close I’m scared I’m going do run in to him at the store or some thing he won't know me but I’ll know him. I would rather stay here and take my chances with guys to scared to ask if I even own I swim suit, at least I know I’m around my own kind. Is there any that are Aspie friendly? And yes I know about Aspie Affection. Any others??

Rynok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Aug 2008, 12:26 am

Plenty of fish is like Craigslist. When you get something for free, the quality drops like a rock.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 1:39 am

Yeah, but sometimes the best things in life are free.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 5:53 pm

Free or paid, doesn't matter too much. What I consider as a MUST for trying a dating site, are profiles as big as possible.

Not just a picture, a sexual orientation, age and location.
I want the girl to describe herself, what she is looking for, what she is interested in, what her dreams are in life, what type of music she likes, even what political believes she has, ...

In a short way: I want as many info as possible and not just a pic with a location and age. I am not looking for a flirt, I am looking for a girlfriend to have a stable relationship with. So the last thing I want is to start sending messages to girls purely based on how they look. I want to know some things about the girl, feel like I have something in common when writing her. So if I try a dating site, the profiles should be as clear as possible with as much information as possible.

I heard OKCupid is good for that, but you cannot really check yourself because you need to sign up first before you can see if the average profile is really as informative as the OKCupid FAQ claims it is.

PS: here in Germany www.myflirt.de and www.neu.de are the big dating sites. Neu.de is paid, I am not sure about MyFlirt. Because I want to move back to the Middle East soon, I am not signing up, I need an international dating site so that I can still use my membership once I am back in the Middle East.

fragiletruth
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2008, 1:12 pm

OkCupid, hands down. I've been using it for 4 years, and I've found everything I want on it. I've used all the other dating sites mentioned in this thread, and had NO luck.

Answer a lot of match questions, get your profile right via trial and error, only talk to high matches, you'll have much better odds than you will anywhere else.

While it doesn't specifically cater to aspies, it does allow you to give SO much more information about yourself via 3000+ questions, that you can find someone who is more likely to be able to deal with an aspie partner.

Someone mentioned that they use profiles for games - you can opt out of those.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 2:17 pm

Zara wrote:
Oh, and sometimes I do get miffed by such a majority of females who come off in their profiles as anti-sex. Nothing works quite better to make a man look the other way that giving the impression you hate sex. Be realistic ladies.

I have noticed people putting "Christian" for their religion, thinking that if they put that, they'll deter anyone who they think is just wanting a one-night stand.

Then when they contact me, I find out that they're really Wiccan, or something similar.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 4:16 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Zara wrote:

I have noticed people putting "Christian" for their religion, thinking that if they put that, they'll deter anyone who they think is just wanting a one-night stand.

Then when they contact me, I find out that they're really Wiccan, or something similar.

why is religion so important for you in your partner search?? You say yourself that you believe in God but don't follow most biblical rules, that you feel too liberal to follow the rules, ... and still you restrict yourself to girls of only the same faith?? Is it a friend to join you to church you're after, or a partner? In the latter case: just my advıce: look at things in common and general character but don't focus on religion that much. The more detailed your search, the lower the chances to find what you want. Love is about compromising and it should work as long as you agree on the things most important to you. For someone who claims to be very liberal, it sounds odd that religion is one of those things that you consider something a compromise is impossible.
But hey, in the end it is your choice. This was not meant as criticising but just as giving advice to increase your chances.

I do see OKcupid has an incredibly detailed list of questions so it seems good (the games sound a bit odd but well, you can opt out of those).
Just two questions though (because you cannot browse profiles before signing up):
- is there not an unbalanced ratio male-female? Because it appears to me that some dating sites have much more male members than female members, and it's females I am looking for ...
- are the members mostly American or is there a good number of Europeans on that site as well? I live in Europe and will either move to the Middle East or to northern Europe soon ; so a dating site full of girls in California or Toronto would not help me much further.