Bullying's effects on AS males ability to initiate

Page 6 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 4:43 am

billsmithglendale wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:
s for bullying and dating, the thing that I noticed that bullies were usually popular and liked by most girls while victims were not. It's not true when they say that bullies are usually hated by girls and the majority of students.

From what I've read, bullies can be divided into two general groups --

The kinds that are popular and use the bullying to further their power/influence, and the kinds that are bullied/abused at home or at school, and thus are just looking for someone to take their own anger and misery out on. The second kind tend to be a lot less popular, as they are generally unpleasant to everyone, as opposed to the first kind, who are usually socially competent, popular, and well liked except for when they exert their bullying (and usually only on select people or at select moments)

Apparently the "popular" bullies respond best to intervention and treatment, and are more likely to correct their behavior. These are people who actually care about their own lives, and got into bullying because no one enforced boundaries on them (because of their popularity and generally good reputation), or because they were slightly sociopathic. They also tend to come from pretty good homes, probably with good parents who let them get away with a lot and who boost their self esteem to overly high levels. The worst you will see from them is teazing, hazing, some vandalism or mild violence in most cases, or maybe at the worst, date rape/assault. You'll also see relational aggression, as they turn peers against their targets. You'll see this a lot with female bullies, especially.

The second type of bully is usually disliked and feared by most, and is near the bottom of the social heap. No one likes them, no one invites them to events, and they probably are depressed and hate life. Their world outlook is very negative, and they probably have been victims of child abuse or some other kind of abuse on a regular basis. Life to them is pain, and they seek to make this a reality for others as well. If they can make someone else have a bad day or feel pain, their pain doesn't feel as bad, and they feel empowered. For people like that, it's all about power, as they come from a home environment where they have none. These ones will turn into hardened criminals and do some of the most despicable acts.

These are the people you should fear the most, because unlike the first type of bully, they won't grow out of it, and they don't give too much of a sh** about their own lives. These are the types of people who will go to prison willingly for doing something stupid or mean, because after all, how much worse is it than what they grew up with? These are also the people you need to stop, to get the authorities on, to flush out of the system, to get legal intervention on, because these are the ones who will ruin the lives of other people.

That was pretty accurate.

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 10:25 am

LePetitPrince wrote:
billsmithglendale wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:
s for bullying and dating, the thing that I noticed that bullies were usually popular and liked by most girls while victims were not. It's not true when they say that bullies are usually hated by girls and the majority of students.

From what I've read, bullies can be divided into two general groups --

The kinds that are popular and use the bullying to further their power/influence, and the kinds that are bullied/abused at home or at school, and thus are just looking for someone to take their own anger and misery out on. The second kind tend to be a lot less popular, as they are generally unpleasant to everyone, as opposed to the first kind, who are usually socially competent, popular, and well liked except for when they exert their bullying (and usually only on select people or at select moments)

Apparently the "popular" bullies respond best to intervention and treatment, and are more likely to correct their behavior. These are people who actually care about their own lives, and got into bullying because no one enforced boundaries on them (because of their popularity and generally good reputation), or because they were slightly sociopathic. They also tend to come from pretty good homes, probably with good parents who let them get away with a lot and who boost their self esteem to overly high levels. The worst you will see from them is teazing, hazing, some vandalism or mild violence in most cases, or maybe at the worst, date rape/assault. You'll also see relational aggression, as they turn peers against their targets. You'll see this a lot with female bullies, especially.

The second type of bully is usually disliked and feared by most, and is near the bottom of the social heap. No one likes them, no one invites them to events, and they probably are depressed and hate life. Their world outlook is very negative, and they probably have been victims of child abuse or some other kind of abuse on a regular basis. Life to them is pain, and they seek to make this a reality for others as well. If they can make someone else have a bad day or feel pain, their pain doesn't feel as bad, and they feel empowered. For people like that, it's all about power, as they come from a home environment where they have none. These ones will turn into hardened criminals and do some of the most despicable acts.

These are the people you should fear the most, because unlike the first type of bully, they won't grow out of it, and they don't give too much of a sh** about their own lives. These are the types of people who will go to prison willingly for doing something stupid or mean, because after all, how much worse is it than what they grew up with? These are also the people you need to stop, to get the authorities on, to flush out of the system, to get legal intervention on, because these are the ones who will ruin the lives of other people.

That was pretty accurate.

I've had a long time to study them, both on the web and in real life :) Used to do my own bullying at one point, sad to say, when I was in elementary school. I got out of that phase once other people started in on me in Jr. High -- gave me some perspective.

NonlinearLuke
Raven
Raven

11 Feb 2009, 11:58 am

There was one kid who picked on me because if I wasn't around he would be the main target of the bullying. He did this to prevent himself from being bullied by trying to get everyone to bully me instead. This is a type of bully that you forgot to mention.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 1:17 pm

billsmithglendale wrote:

Fortunately, most of the people that bullied me in middle school must have been of the first type (probably owing to the rather lax disciplinary measures set by parents around where I live), since those that constantly bullied in middle school "grew up", as it were, and I was even good friends with some of them by the end of high school (and ironically I was even "popular"...)

The people that were worse to me in high school were the women that would hit on me just to use my brainpower... there was no overt bullying in high school for me (other than my senior english class, where the teacher was a prick)...

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 5:01 pm

NonlinearLuke wrote:
There was one kid who picked on me because if I wasn't around he would be the main target of the bullying. He did this to prevent himself from being bullied by trying to get everyone to bully me instead. This is a type of bully that you forgot to mention.

A "pecking order" bully -- yes, true -- this was me at one point, or maybe a mixture of all three. In the years where I was most miserable at elementary school (grades 2, 5, and 6), I did this to another couple of kids. I feel really bad now, but I got paid back for it in junior high, and maybe the rest of my life.