Finding dates/interest on campus

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 5:17 pm

I'm a maths student who likes girls. However, every girl I know and like who shares classes with me is taken. I most likely wouldn't risk it with them anyway. So I have to move on to girls who I don't share classes with, having never really done this before (I say "really" because I once went on what I thought was an awful date but was supposed to be something more innocent). This is proving to be incredibly complicated; every time I find someone fairly interesting, I hardly see them around never mind in any convenient one-on-one situation. I tried to fit into a few societies but found myself consistently less interested in the societies themselves than in the prospect of meeting girls so that never worked out. So, any tips?

Zane
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2008, 6:08 pm

Walk around campus and talk to women.

Get numbers or e-mails.

Contact the girls and let them know about the party next weekend. Invite them to go.

Or

Join clubs and do sports. These will give access to many women.

Or

Hit the bar scene.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 6:59 pm

Hector wrote:
I'm a maths student who likes girls. However, every girl I know and like who shares classes with me is taken. I most likely wouldn't risk it with them anyway. So I have to move on to girls who I don't share classes with, having never really done this before (I say "really" because I once went on what I thought was an awful date but was supposed to be something more innocent). This is proving to be incredibly complicated; every time I find someone fairly interesting, I hardly see them around never mind in any convenient one-on-one situation. I tried to fit into a few societies but found myself consistently less interested in the societies themselves than in the prospect of meeting girls so that never worked out. So, any tips?

Do you LIVE on Campus? Ive found that most of the friends Ive made in college as both an undergraduate AND as a graduate are people I meet in the same building/complex that I have to be living in. In fact, that one of the major reasons even urban commuter schools have dorms ;).

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 7:32 pm

No, I don't live on campus. It's about an hour's commute for me.

Dracula
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Apr 2008, 6:57 am

In college, breakups happen all the time. Just because a girl is taken now, doesn't mean she won't be single the next day. As a matter of a fact, I say it's likely every girl in college goes through... ten boyfriends on average. Lol.

Pick a few girls, pay attention to their relationship status a bit, and make your move at the right time.

- D

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 8:36 am

Dracula wrote:
In college, breakups happen all the time. Just because a girl is taken now, doesn't mean she won't be single the next day. As a matter of a fact, I say it's likely every girl in college goes through... ten boyfriends on average. Lol.

That's because girls between the ages of 17 and 24 are fickle! Dude, just invite yourself over to the residences, find a girl who is drunk, but not too drunk, and get some action. Forget about relationships. If the average college girl goes through ten boyfriends, then that tells you something about college girls! I guarantee you that the average college boy has not gone through 10 girlfriends.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 9:24 am

Dracula wrote:
Pick a few girls, pay attention to their relationship status a bit, and make your move at the right time.

There's only one girl I know in my part of campus who is even particularly friendly to me, but that may just be due to her being friendly in general, and I think she's taken. I'm not saying I've ruled her out completely but it'd be unreasonable to expect interest. Either way, I still think I need to branch out, and clubs haven't worked for me as a way to do this.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 9:29 am

Zane wrote:

Get numbers or e-mails.

When I was in college, I tried these (using thefacebook.com to get e-mail addresses, phone numbers, or AIM screen names). Approaching random women or IM'ing random women is the surest way to get labeled a "creep." I'm not exactly sure what situations are considered to be appropriate for initiating conversation with a woman you don't know, however. I think in class it's generally acceptable.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 9:32 am

What I read in that was that I would get numbers and e-mails from asking the girls themselves rather than from just asking a friend or nicking them off Facebook. The latter is often read as an infringement on personal space and may kill whatever interest there may possibly have been.

The question of when to ask for a number I find quite difficult. I once got a girl's number just from the first conversation, but I'm not sure how comfortable most people are with that. Certainly if I could ask for a number after a good first impression things would be somewhat more straightforward than I've currently made them out to be.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 9:38 am

Hector wrote:
What I read in that was that I would get numbers and e-mails from asking the girls themselves rather than from just asking a friend or nicking them off Facebook. The latter is often read as an infringement on personal space and may kill whatever interest there may possibly have been.

The question of when to ask for a number I find quite difficult. I once got a girl's number just from the first conversation, but I'm not sure how comfortable most people are with that. Certainly if I could ask for a number after a good first impression things would be somewhat more straightforward than I've currently made them out to be.

I got some phone numbers directly from women when I talked to them around campus, in the gym, in the library, etc. Usually they were wrong numbers, or they never ended up answering.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 9:53 am

Well that's a common enough practice. I suppose that's just one way to reject someone, albeit an impolite way. Win some, lose some. Or else would it have been better to leave it to more than one conversation?

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 12:56 pm

I just wait for opportunities to fall into my lap...they come along once in a while, though I horribly horribly botched the last one.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 7:32 pm

Yeah, I'm in college too. There really aren't too many single people here. XD It does suck.

Take advantage of MySpace, and Facebook--Facebook in particular because it's easier to search for students at your college with similar interests. Just become friends with someone, even if they're taken. See if anything develops. Maybe you'll find you don't really like being around her that much as a person.

jkrane wrote:
That's because girls between the ages of 17 and 24 are fickle! Dude, just invite yourself over to the residences, find a girl who is drunk, but not too drunk, and get some action. Forget about relationships. If the average college girl goes through ten boyfriends, then that tells you something about college girls! I guarantee you that the average college boy has not gone through 10 girlfriends.

First of all, it's not right to take advantage of a drunk girl, even if she's only KIND of drunk.

Second of all, if sex is what you're looking for then that's one thing, but maybe the relationship is what you WANT rather than just sex.

NeantHumain wrote:
Zane wrote:

Get numbers or e-mails.

When I was in college, I tried these (using thefacebook.com to get e-mail addresses, phone numbers, or AIM screen names). Approaching random women or IM'ing random women is the surest way to get labeled a "creep." I'm not exactly sure what situations are considered to be appropriate for initiating conversation with a woman you don't know, however. I think in class it's generally acceptable.

Yeah, totally. Even if someone has their information availible do NOT use it unless they have already given it to you. You can introduce yourself on Facebook and talk to them, and it can only take a few messages before it's ok to ask, "Do you want to continue the conversation on AIM?" and give out your screen name.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 4:15 am

Zane wrote:

Get numbers or e-mails.

Contact the girls and let them know about the party next weekend. Invite them to go.

Or

Join clubs and do sports. These will give access to many women.

Or

Hit the bar scene.

Don't go to the bar to find a girlfriend... seriously...

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 9:46 am

I've been quite invite-shy on Facebook, but I might change my ways now.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 2:53 pm

try going on a free internet dating site, like plentyoffish. I have known people who have had this work. There are lots of girls around college age there, just have a good profile pic that clearly shows your face, and message lots of girls. You will get dates guaranteed.