Are Attractive Women More Likely to Be "Crazy"?

Page 1 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 11:28 pm

Are especially physically attractive women more likely to have serious psychological issues and even be downright crazy? I have read that histrionic personality disorder in females is positively correlated with the perception of physical attractiveness by men, but this is the only thing I've actually read on this that was based on research. Of course, it is common in movies and popular songs for attractive women to be crazy, but is this just a stereotype?

I have met a few women who were quite physically attractive but also a little different and in one case made me seriously wonder if she was insane. Assuming attractive women are more likely to be crazy, why would this be?

• Do they think they can get away with more outlandish behavior because of their beauty? (I.e., they're not really "crazier" on average, but they just don't bother to hide attitudes and impulses that most people have but would feel uncomfortable admitting to.)
  • Is it a cultural expectation that they're conforming to?
  • Do psychological issues that cause the crazy behavior also cause them to put more effort into looking attractive?

Indeed, are physically attractive women more likely to be crazy than their more homely counterparts?

Esther
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 11:35 pm

Then I must be the sanest woman ever. :wink:

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 11:36 pm

Esther wrote:
Then I must be the sanest woman ever. :wink:

Are you trying to suggest you're very ugly and in addition the theory is bunk because you're nevertheless crazy?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 12:07 am

I wonder what's considered attractive since I've known "seemingly" pretty girls including some members here who come off pretty sane.

Quick and blunt generalizations...I get so sick of them.... :roll:

Is there even any inductive reasoning to this or evidence of such stereotypes?

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 12:14 am

or

d) people overreact to good looks (male or female) and project their fantasies onto the subject. subjects react accordingly.

or

e) neanthumain is bored and looking for some trouble

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 12:14 am

no.
you would only be more likely to notice their 'craziness' because you are attracted to notice them in the first place.
Women you were not attracted to, who knows?
Merle

Esther
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 12:15 am

I wouldn't say I'm very ugly, but I'm certainly not physically attractive. I often wondered what my ex saw in me as I consider him good-looking. It was like the case of, "He's married to her?!"

I think we're all crazy in some way; it's just a matter of where we fit in the "crazy" range.

I can understand the notion why a beautiful person might be able to get away with outrageous stuff. It's either they feel they can use their charm and get away with it or others let them get away with it.

BTW, is this any different to a case of two equally qualified applicants, except one happens to be pretty/ier and therefore gets the job?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 12:17 am

no.
you would only be more likely to notice their 'craziness' because you are attracted to notice them in the first place.
Women you were not attracted to, who knows?
Merle

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 12:28 am

Yes even attractive women aren't perfect.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 12:32 am

theyr'e supposed to be though, that's the fantasy.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 12:44 am

So true...I wish most of the guys I get crushes on were like that.

One can only fantasize about these things...at least that's the way I cope on the matters of incubus.

He can drop by anytime he likes... :wink:

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 12:57 am

Quote:
Do they think they can get away with more outlandish behavior because of their beauty? (I.e., they're not really "crazier" on average, but they just don't bother to hide attitudes and impulses that most people have but would feel uncomfortable admitting to.)

There might be some truth to this. :idea: Their increased self-confidence could cause them to act more freely than the average person would, and come off as somewhat crazy. Kind of like when you drink alcohol and lose some of your inhibitions, due to not caring what others think. Of course, I don't think this is all craziness, but it is a contributing factor to some of it.

Those who know, don't speak.

Last edited by jawbrodt on 22 Feb 2009, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 1:36 am

I've known crazy women across the entire spectrum of attractiveness...

warface
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Feb 2009, 4:36 am

no, some attractive women are f*****g boring. in general from what i've seen the more sexual partners a girl has had the more likely she is to be crazy, and there's no real correlation between good looks and number of sexual partners.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 6:13 am

there are many attractive females here so... maybe it is partly true :wink:

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 7:17 am

NeantHumain wrote:
Are especially physically attractive women more likely to have serious psychological issues and even be downright crazy? I have read that histrionic personality disorder in females is positively correlated with the perception of physical attractiveness by men, but this is the only thing I've actually read on this that was based on research. Of course, it is common in movies and popular songs for attractive women to be crazy, but is this just a stereotype?

I have met a few women who were quite physically attractive but also a little different and in one case made me seriously wonder if she was insane. Assuming attractive women are more likely to be crazy, why would this be?
  • Do they think they can get away with more outlandish behavior because of their beauty? (I.e., they're not really "crazier" on average, but they just don't bother to hide attitudes and impulses that most people have but would feel uncomfortable admitting to.)
  • Is it a cultural expectation that they're conforming to?
  • Do psychological issues that cause the crazy behavior also cause them to put more effort into looking attractive?
Indeed, are physically attractive women more likely to be crazy than their more homely counterparts?

Awesome.

Am I the only one here who thinks this is awesome??

Damn.