Non-dater 18%  18%  [ 71 ]
Arranged marriage or Christian Courtship 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Arranged marriage or Christian Courtship 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 390

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2005, 8:57 pm

I've only had one girlfriend, when I was 18. The relationship basically fell apart because although we did have a certain chemistry, we had different outlooks on life and different ideas of what a relationship should be. Actually, we were both still at work on our ideas of what relationships should be, but our ideas were heading in opposite directions.

There was one other girl (who I think may have had some form of autism) that I had something going with (we were kissing and everything), but her overprotective parents got in the way. As for my mom, it seems like she's always a little skeptical whenever I talk about a potential girlfriend (or, when I had one, my actual GF), but she'd never disapprove outright.

airbikecop
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Aug 2005, 5:59 pm

I had my first date when I was 17. I took a friend to a dance, but I don't consider that a date, and it's something I'll talk about at a later time.

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2005, 1:09 am

I had my first date when I was 21. It was with a girl I met online. I walked a few miles to the place she was staying at, bought her tickets for a Nile concert, bought her food, coffee, and cigarettes, and let her wear my jacket because she didn't have hers. She slept through most of the concert and slept as soon as we got back to my room. The next day, out exchange went something like this:

Her: I'm sorry, but I'd feel guilty taking your virginity away from you.

Me: It's not like I value it.

Her: I know, it's just you're so . . . nice.

Me: You sure didn't sound that way in your emails.

Her: Well, that all changed once I met you.

My second contact with a member of the opposite sex, a few years later, was also via the internet. It culminated with an email that read:

"Your behavior is inappropriate an unwelcome. Knidly cease all further attempts to contact me, my family, my friends, or my work place.

Thank you,

(her name--oh what do I care, it was Besha Grey)"

OffWithHerHead
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2005, 11:10 am

i have been dating since i was 12 i have had many boyfriend inculding at least 1 from every branch of the US military i have always ended the relationships and almost aways it was because i got bored or they lied i am 17 now and i am in a relationship that i have been in for over a year i have found the man of my dreams i have finally found love

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 1:09 pm

I think it would be interesting to go on a date. But I'll probably end up starting much after college and maybe have some sort of courtship. It seems to be a good idea because then your parents can get to know your date better and they won't feel as awkward. I probably wouldn't go as far as the "you can't go anywhere without your parents being around" idea, though. There should be some sort of balance between traiditional courtship and dating, I think.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 2:36 pm

ghotistix wrote:

The greatest webcomic on the internet can be pretty insightful sometimes.

I've noticed they just change the words, not the pictures, for this comic, which I don't really get to begin with.

I have never been on a date or had a girlfriend before. I would like to someday, though.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 2:40 pm

kitkatsavvy wrote:
it is very hard to find someone who doesnt:

You forgot who doesn't not want to go out with you.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 3:00 pm

Still havent had a gf, anyone in from here live in Iowa???

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

HarryofSheringham
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Nov 2005, 5:56 am

My first date was around the beginning of this year when I started dating my so far only girlfriend. She dumped me(though not to my surprise) around the time of our exams in June. I think one of the major reasons it fell apart was because I hadnt had a girlfriend before and therefore didnt know what to do in a relationship. Which is kind of a shame because we had some real chemistry. As for my parents, they generally didnt pry into our relationship though now my mum supposedly holds a grudge against my ex.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 9:45 am

I met my husband when I was 15 but my parents wouldn't let me officially 'date' until I was 16.

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2006, 7:13 am

I'm 23 and never dated, although I was asked out on a date by a couple of girls when I was 19, I am not sure until this day if it was a joke or not. I also tried to ask a couple of girls out when I was 12 and 13 as well.

I dunno if I will ever enter the dating and relationship world personally, I might just focus on my career and maybe getting this outer space business off the ground by the time I am 40.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2006, 2:08 pm

aspiegirl2 wrote:
I mean, I can't believe that some people in high school actually think of being married to their boyfriend/girlfriend that they've only been with a week, then they think twice, then by Friday, everything is just ruined, and then they break up. I don't quite understand what they were thinking of marriage.

It's kind of silly thinking but it does happen sometimes. I have a friend whose parents have been together since grade 6.

pooftis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2006, 11:43 pm

I had my first relationship at 12, it lasted 17 months. (We got back together in 9th grade and ended up together another 4 years.)

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2006, 2:00 am

I'm 18 and I've still never been on a date. Woe is me.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2006, 4:08 pm

Interesting thread. I've been a non-dater pretty much all my life. Not always because I wanted to be, don't get me wrong I always wanted to date. However.... I chose the 12-14 option for the age I started dating, but it's just that that was the closest option.

In fact, I was in a relationship when I was 10, with a girl of the same age. I wasn't looking, a classmate liked me and it just happened really. It lasted for months and ended because I moved away from the city where we were.

However, that relationship was a strange experience for me. I won't go into it but it was strange. Since then my chances of dating were never quite the same again. Let's just say, as I grew up, there was no question of me being able to date, at least not with someone my own age. There were various girls as the years went on who chased me, but they were always in years below me, and going through high school that was considered a big age gap so I didn't date them.

I went to university and there were never any chances there either - however I'm recovering because there ARE shyness issues involved and I like to think I have chances now. Unfortunately I've been set back years but now realise some of it is social interaction issues from my Asperger's/autism.

kitkatsavvy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2006, 11:36 am

hi guys,

just to update that I am still with the love of my life after all of this time! we have been going out for over 2 and 1/2 years now, and we still haven't really argued before yet either! i think he has bought me about 2 or 3 softdrinks in total, and i gave him $14 once! lol.. you can tell i dont really care about money or anything.... i guess i deserve him for having such a neglected and lonely upbringing - which turned into panic disorder and psychosis hell (= 2 ward visits).... lets say i am very, very fortunate to be with him!! !

p.s. sorry i havent posted here in ages! i was just sick of the autism political wrangling, so i have moved on from it... i will admit i have a very tiny bit of autism ,but not enough for me to be diagnosed with it - infact my shrink agreed with taht fact last year :) tis all good now, and i am FINALLy feeling better! i am off my antidepressants and am withdrawing from my antipsychotic.. meow to that!