Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 4:10 pm

I guess it depends on where you live and what majority makes up a religious sect. Sometimes I wonder if it's not just religion but also the type of religion people practice or were brought up with.

Never knew all christians to be like the girl you're talking about. Then again, I've known christians to be exactly like that girl only they have other ways of putting it. But I don't live in an area where it is dominated by any muslims.

I think christians are different in the aspects where they think they can "change" people where as muslims.....well I've never known any muslims at my doorsteps claiming to be missionaries of Islam or "allah".

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Mar 2009, 4:10 pm

I'm not usually attracted to religious people, so it's generally not an issue.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 6:16 pm

Hmm, I'm not only an atheist, I'm a militant atheist. In my opinion, religion is a sickness we need to cure. Anyway... Carry on! :roll:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 6:20 pm

I'm a Christian, and try to look for other Christians if I can.

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 7:06 pm

Religion is by definition a fundamental part of how one views the world, and by extension, everything else.

People by nature want to associate with others like them, which makes similarity in religion of paramount importance.

I can't imagine anything that could possibly make as much difference in relationships as compatibility of religion.

While you may find married people of different religions, I would imagine that the difference would contribute to tensions within the relationship. On an NT dating board, I've read many stories about relationships dissolving for just this reason.

And, if you want to get right down to it, being in a minority religion hurts your chances. The USA is predominantly Protestant. Not being in a Protestant Christian religion will hurt your chances, though some areas are predominantly Catholic, and some LDS. Other countries are different.

Orbyss
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 7:22 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Orbyss wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
Orbyss wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
in norway, agnosticism seems to be the most common "belief", and so, religious views are never really an issue.

someone truly christian, or belonging to any other faith, could be seen as something slightly exotic.
ive had people "pull chicks" by pretending to be a believing christian

Same in the places I've lived in this state, at least. It wasn't quite as true in Texas, but even there I knew plenty of agnostics and atheists. THEY'RE EVERYWHERE.

as a nation, the US has a lot more openly flashed religion than here. a general belief in god seems very common there, even if its not practiced or anything.

COMEDIANS here pretended to be politicians, and ended a speech with "god bless norway" to great laughs :D

statistically, i think the benelux-states are the least religious in europe, on "street level" anyway. norway has a little "bible belt" in the south-west, where they even got one or two evangelists :O :O :O

Yes, the US as a whole is built on that image. But in the state I live, the general belief is, "Who the f**k cares?" :D I know there are religious fanatics here, I just don't meet them all that often. The Mexicans are Catholic but it seems to be a social construct rather than anything else. I never hear anyone talk about 'God'. The church down the way is a bizarre mish-mash of Jewish synagogue and Catholic...something. At least I think it's a church.

That's funny you should say that.

Recently I saw a church with symbols of both the cross and star of david. I never really asked but I guess it's a church for jews and christians....... :?

Hahah. There's probably a total of two people with Jewish lineage in my town. That makes it even more hilarious.

¿Que?

I digress.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 7:29 pm

Orbyss wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Orbyss wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
Orbyss wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
in norway, agnosticism seems to be the most common "belief", and so, religious views are never really an issue.

someone truly christian, or belonging to any other faith, could be seen as something slightly exotic.
ive had people "pull chicks" by pretending to be a believing christian

Same in the places I've lived in this state, at least. It wasn't quite as true in Texas, but even there I knew plenty of agnostics and atheists. THEY'RE EVERYWHERE.

as a nation, the US has a lot more openly flashed religion than here. a general belief in god seems very common there, even if its not practiced or anything.

COMEDIANS here pretended to be politicians, and ended a speech with "god bless norway" to great laughs :D

statistically, i think the benelux-states are the least religious in europe, on "street level" anyway. norway has a little "bible belt" in the south-west, where they even got one or two evangelists :O :O :O

Yes, the US as a whole is built on that image. But in the state I live, the general belief is, "Who the f**k cares?" :D I know there are religious fanatics here, I just don't meet them all that often. The Mexicans are Catholic but it seems to be a social construct rather than anything else. I never hear anyone talk about 'God'. The church down the way is a bizarre mish-mash of Jewish synagogue and Catholic...something. At least I think it's a church.

That's funny you should say that.

Recently I saw a church with symbols of both the cross and star of david. I never really asked but I guess it's a church for jews and christians....... :?

Hahah. There's probably a total of two people with Jewish lineage in my town. That makes it even more hilarious.

¿Que?

I digress.

"IGLESIAS

LULZ DEL MUNDO"

OMG IM SO GODDAMN HILARIOUS!! !! !!

Orbyss
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 7:31 pm

Quote:
LULZ DEL MUNDO

Seriously, shut up, I see that every f*****g time I pass the place and it's a block from me. NOOOO.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 7:34 pm

Orbyss wrote:
Quote:
LULZ DEL MUNDO

Seriously, shut up, I see that every f***ing time I pass the place and it's a block from me. NOOOO.

yeah, now your gonna be the one who breaks out and laughs at the mexican jews :D

you antilatinosemite you!

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 9:11 pm

I didn't know there was such a thing..... 8O

Pardon my ignorance... :oops:

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 9:20 pm

MissConstrue wrote:

you should be ashamed! its because of ignorance like that, that wars erupt!

i demand a global latino-jew awarness tour!! ! >:I

Orbyss
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 9:34 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

We're both going to get kicked off this forum at this rate. That's the last time I link you to a forum I go to. :D I haven't even made it to 1,000 posts yet. PLEASE, LET ME LIVE. I'm going to be the lonely San Antonio night heron forever. :(

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 9:57 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
No, sometimes even moderate people would care, especially the moderate muslims. They wouldn't care how much you practice your religion as long you believe in it but if you tell them that you don't even believe in god or prophet then they would be certainly offended...

So I had to let it go since this relation would be a disaster because I can't keep hiding the fact that I don't believe in religion or god while I am with someone.

They might accept you as friend , but very few of them would consider you as a partner.

The same applies to Latin American Catholics, many of which don't go to church regularly or anything. You can get away with not going to Mass, getting divorced, knowing squat about the Bible, watching films the priests campaign against, etc, but not with openly not believing. I had a gf that, though an atheist, wanted to a religious wedding because she promised her mother she'd have one, and I've heard similar stories from other atheists from my country.

There's a (modern/moderate) Muslim girl I know that I fancy but will never ask out as we're totally incompatible for several reasons, one of them being that she wants a French Muslim, and I'm neither (though it's clear she'd consider someone who was just one of the two). Many of her friends are atheists or nominal Christians, including some heavy drinkers.

I myself would prefer an atheist, but would consider moderate, tolerant religious girls of any religion (whether they'd consider me is another matter).

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 10:15 pm

Orbyss wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

We're both going to get kicked off this forum at this rate. That's the last time I link you to a forum I go to. :D I haven't even made it to 1,000 posts yet. PLEASE, LET ME LIVE. I'm going to be the lonely San Antonio night heron forever. :(

we are? :(

im SORRY, you know what kind of forums i am used to :(
and i know that you know that i am being VERY nice and police in here :D even "iblis" on here commented it to me, in a sortof dissapointed tone :oops:

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 10:20 pm

pbcoll wrote:

Quote:
I myself would prefer an atheist, but would consider moderate, tolerant religious girls of any religion

I think that applies to me as well only that they're guys and as long as they don't try and involve their religious aspects onto myself. I've had very bad experiences with people like that.

I'm a pretty tolerant person of people who are faith or no faith as long they don't step out of their boundary and onto mine.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 10:29 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
Orbyss wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

we are? :(

im SORRY, you know what kind of forums i am used to :(
and i know that you know that i am being VERY nice and police in here :D even "iblis" on here commented it to me, in a sortof dissapointed tone :oops:

You guys are hilarious only that I too am guilty of making jokes that're "politically incorrect"....one reason I try and keep it to myself but there are things that I really am ignorant about. It seems even when I ask about those stereotypical yet taboo issues....I end up digging a deeper hole with people. :(