Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jan 2014
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,404

04 Jun 2016, 2:57 pm

Some people seem to think that I'm more innocent than I am too. I remember one time I told someone that I drink and they acted very shocked. It might have something to do with being quiet.



Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2015
Age: 23
Posts: 326
Location: Oregon

04 Jun 2016, 6:39 pm

I think there's probably some truth in that. Sometimes I'll say a swear word or make an innuendo and people who don't know me act extremely shocked. I rarely speak, especially in unfamiliar company, and I think that does make people think I'm "innocent". It's especially prevalent in the way some people speak to me as if I'm several years younger than my actual age.



SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,921
Location: Somewhere Over The Rainbow

12 Jun 2016, 8:05 pm

If they think you're "innocent" or "cute", that's their problem, not yours. Let them.


_________________
"Lightning is but a flicker of light, punctuated on all sides by darkness." - Loki


Lamaga
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Joined: 13 Jun 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 18

20 Jun 2016, 3:07 pm

Hi Am, I'd like to give you my NT point of you.

I work with Aspies and am in a relationship with one, and what I find really "innocent" (it's the wrong word, yes, but it's just the wrong interpretation of your nature) is when they start telling me about super personal issues (nightmares, obsessions, what they told the shrink and so on) in the most natural way.

Most of you guys just say things the way they are. No second/double meanings.
This is unconceivable for a paranoid NT, constantly worried about what people might think of him/her.

I personally adore this side of Aspies.



AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2016
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Posts: 509
Location: The Internet

20 Jun 2016, 3:42 pm

Lamaga wrote:
Hi Am, I'd like to give you my NT point of you.

I work with Aspies and am in a relationship with one, and what I find really "innocent" (it's the wrong word, yes, but it's just the wrong interpretation of your nature) is when they start telling me about super personal issues (nightmares, obsessions, what they told the shrink and so on) in the most natural way.

Most of you guys just say things the way they are. No second/double meanings.
This is unconceivable for a paranoid NT, constantly worried about what people might think of him/her.

I personally adore this side of Aspies.


When I start talking about personal issues, that's when people seem to stop thinking I'm innocent, lol.


_________________
"In this world, there's an invisible magic circle. There's an inside, and an outside. And I am outside." -Anna Sasaki


Lamaga
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Joined: 13 Jun 2016
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 18

20 Jun 2016, 3:48 pm

AnaHitori wrote:
Lamaga wrote:
Hi Am, I'd like to give you my NT point of you.

I work with Aspies and am in a relationship with one, and what I find really "innocent" (it's the wrong word, yes, but it's just the wrong interpretation of your nature) is when they start telling me about super personal issues (nightmares, obsessions, what they told the shrink and so on) in the most natural way.

Most of you guys just say things the way they are. No second/double meanings.
This is unconceivable for a paranoid NT, constantly worried about what people might think of him/her.

I personally adore this side of Aspies.


When I start talking about personal issues, that's when people seem to stop thinking I'm innocent, lol.

hahaha :D

Yeah.. it often happens :mrgreen:



lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 May 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 686
Location: South-eastern Washington

21 Jun 2016, 7:41 am

Idk but people think the same thing about me and have misconceptions because they think I look cute and prim, or I look blank. I got passed up for a job I'm pretty sure because they thought I couldn't deal with cussing. Because I looked innocent. It's like I seriously can handle it, I cuss all the time, I'm just not cussing now because I'm at some place I want to work and that would be unprofessional.

I think a lot of people assume too if they know me vaguely (but not well, because if they did they'd know I cuss and say gross sexual things a lot lol), probably due to how i look and the fact that I keep to neutral, appropriate topics and am kind of naive in terms of how much I trust people.


_________________
Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And Youre Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When Youre A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor


Ladybeetle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 3 May 2016
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Posts: 23

07 Jul 2016, 8:33 am

I know the feeling. In my case, it's a combination of my short stature, my babyface, and my extroversion. They usually change their minds when I start actually talking, because I speak very very formally, and I'm extremely pedantic.



Runo Misaki
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 59
Location: New York, USA

05 Jan 2019, 6:48 pm

Amajanshi wrote:
I don't want to be innocent or naive, so I try to learn as much as I can about being street smart etc.

But several people at Uni have said that they think I'm innocent or "cute". What makes them think that?



-Maybe it has to do with how you look and act. If you look young for your age, people will treat you as if you were younger (ex: calling you pet names, etc...). People also tend to think that you're cute and innocent if you believe everything they say, get overly excited about your interests and get all shy and quiet in front of them.

-Btw, I'm in university and I sometimes get the same comments as you. I remember as a first year student, I was in class and I got back from finishing a test for the current class since I got accommodations. I took it before everyone else. A guy in my class asked me why I was in class. I told him that I already took the test and I got embarrassed that I told him. I put my hand over my mouth, blushed and shyly looked at the floor. Then he asked if I wasn't supposed to tell anyone. I was like, " I don't know", in a timid voice. Then he said, " Aww, such an innocent soul". I guess he said that because I looked young for my age (I was 18 but looked 15) and because I was being shy over making a mistake. To most people, shyness is considered cute because it gives off a childlike, innocent and helpless vibe that invokes the protection instinct in others.



LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 31 Dec 2015
Posts: 980
Location: Earth

05 Jan 2019, 7:56 pm

People usually want to appear like they know more than others (which is opposed to curiosity), they care for their social appearance (which is opposed to honesty), they care for themselves (as opposed to benevolence).

They consider that being mature is to show they know it all, that they are superior and that they possess more and have power, and are attractive. If you are mature but curious, honest, modest and humble, always ready to help, they will perceive you as "innocent" and there are chances they will make fun of you and take advantage of you.

I think it is good to socially hide your honesty, show off (indirectly) like them, pretend you won't help so easily.



SarahOnTheMoon
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 1 Jan 2019
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 14

09 Jan 2019, 4:19 pm

Have the same issue I'm in my late 20s but I can past for 15. Had a doctors appointment the other day and the nurse asked me where my mom was lol :lol:

I see the womem at my job talking about drinking and what not and never ask me. I never drink in my life however people always act surprise when I curse though...must be the baby face.



Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Aug 2018
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,023

09 Jan 2019, 4:30 pm

I think people associate shyness with innocence; I used to get this a lot when I was in school.


_________________
L'enfer c'est les autres.
- Sartre

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
- Henry David Thoreau

Das Glück gehört denen, die sich selbst genügen. Denn alle äußeren Quellen des Glückes und Genusses sind, ihrer Natur nach, höchst unsicher, misslich, vergänglich und dem Zufall unterworfen.
- Arthur Schopenhauer


TUF
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Dec 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 605

15 Jan 2019, 7:06 am

People think I'm younger than I am because I look 15, I still play with toys, I don't know how teenagers and adults differ in the way they talk so if I don't use the sort of long words I like to use which get people moaning that I use them then I sound like a teenager, I like to watch Disney movies and stuff like that.

And we follow the rules which NTs don't and worry about not breaking the rules, even the smaller rules.

Also I just am innocent. If an NT woman my age was to date me, she could easily take advantage because I'm very young for my age in terms of understanding intentions of people etc. The same with friendships. I'm like a younger person socially.

It's taken a while to realise this because intellectually I've been an adult since before I even hit double figures. I read Orwell, Kafka and Huxley when I was 9. I had a reading age of 17 when I was 7. It was tough for mum because she had to know which books to give me - something which was intellectually challenging to read but also something which was suitable for a 9 year old. I wonder if this is why so many aspies get into Victorian literature and similar to this.

I know I'm talking about me but I'm doing that to give an example of why people think aspies are innocent in hopes that you can relate to some of it. All you're asking is 'why do people think I'm innocent' and it could be all sorts of things.



Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,158

16 Jan 2019, 10:01 am

Amajanshi wrote:
I don't want to be innocent or naive, so I try to learn as much as I can about being street smart etc.

But several people at Uni have said that they think I'm innocent or "cute". What makes them think that?


Because they are clueless and naive themselves due to the media giving them the wrong idea about autism. It's probably because of the way we dress and look. Others have speech impediments that make them sound like a little boy or girl.



jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 70
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,101
Location: Indiana

16 Jan 2019, 12:46 pm

Amajanshi wrote:
I dunno why they think I seem childlike and young, does being blunt/brutally honest and curious have anything to do with it?


As children grow they pass through the stages of childhood development. For some reason, I stopped in the "Pleasing Four" stage of childhood development. I am 70 years old but in my mind I am still a four or five year old. I look at life with the wonder and amazement found in the eyes of a child. I say what I mean and mean what I say. These are good qualities.

In 1955, Albert Einstein passed away. A decade later in his memorial lecture delivered on 13 December 1965, at UNESCO headquarters, nuclear physicist Robert Oppenheimer summarized his impression of Einstein as a person: “He was almost wholly without sophistication and wholly without worldliness ... There was always with him a wonderful purity at once childlike and profoundly stubborn."