Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,767
Location: temperate zone

07 Nov 2019, 1:43 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
The drunk behavior of a typical NT is not QUITE the same set of things the characterize the normal behavior of sober aspies or autistics.


I did not say autistics and drunk people are the same. I'm saying that the way NTs hate odd behaviour of any sort plus the things listed in my OP, yet they find it appealing to get drunk and do things WORSE than a sober autistic person does. You'd have thought NTs would go, "getting drunk is stupid - why would I want to get into that state and look ridiculous?"
Although the analogy about sex is quite a good answer, but sex is natural and every living thing on the planet does it. Getting blotto is just a stupid craze that people think is so appealing and in the UK everybody (with the exception of certain religious or disabled or whatever) gets drunk in their younger years and doesn't see a problem with the consequences it brings at all.
When I last went out a girl spoilt the whole dinner because she was drunk. She tried picking arguments with others and embarrassed her boyfriend, and it made everyone uncomfortable during our meal. Then halfway through the meal she was sick, which wasn't very pleasant to see. All because she had been drinking lots before she came to the restaurant. So what's so appealing about that? Being drunk ruins things if you let your drinking get out of hand, which most youngsters do.


Obviously NTs do not drink...in order to become an embarrassing spectacle.

They do it because they like the feel of being drunk. They don't plan on becoming spectacles when they decide to have a pint.

Maybe the question is "why is being sober so bad?".



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,892
Location: Maidstone, UK

07 Nov 2019, 4:07 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
The drunk behavior of a typical NT is not QUITE the same set of things the characterize the normal behavior of sober aspies or autistics.


I did not say autistics and drunk people are the same. I'm saying that the way NTs hate odd behaviour of any sort plus the things listed in my OP, yet they find it appealing to get drunk and do things WORSE than a sober autistic person does. You'd have thought NTs would go, "getting drunk is stupid - why would I want to get into that state and look ridiculous?"
Although the analogy about sex is quite a good answer, but sex is natural and every living thing on the planet does it. Getting blotto is just a stupid craze that people think is so appealing and in the UK everybody (with the exception of certain religious or disabled or whatever) gets drunk in their younger years and doesn't see a problem with the consequences it brings at all.
When I last went out a girl spoilt the whole dinner because she was drunk. She tried picking arguments with others and embarrassed her boyfriend, and it made everyone uncomfortable during our meal. Then halfway through the meal she was sick, which wasn't very pleasant to see. All because she had been drinking lots before she came to the restaurant. So what's so appealing about that? Being drunk ruins things if you let your drinking get out of hand, which most youngsters do.


Obviously NTs do not drink...in order to become an embarrassing spectacle.

They do it because they like the feel of being drunk. They don't plan on becoming spectacles when they decide to have a pint.

Maybe the question is "why is being sober so bad?".


Actually yes, I do agree with this question. I'm a 100% non-drinker, but I am always getting criticised about it. It's like if you don't drink or you've never been drunk in your life people think there's something wrong with you. Maybe older people think I'm sensible but my peers think I'm stupid and weird. That's the impression I get anyway from almost every 20-something NT I have ever met.


_________________
Female
Aged 29
On antidepressants
Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder


Brivae
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 4 Oct 2019
Age: 118
Gender: Female
Posts: 51

07 Nov 2019, 8:39 pm

Why are we comparing average aspie behavior to drunk NT behavior? It sounds like we’re saying Aspies are drunk all the time, without the liquor. =]



Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,709
Location: Beautiful(?) York Township PA

07 Nov 2019, 9:24 pm

Joe90 wrote:
A o why do young NTs enjoy getting drunk every weekend if it causes people to jump into the uncanny valley and behave in a way that break all the social rules that NTs swear by?

It boggles my mind if you ask me.


Because they are stupid.

Furthermore, you can’t fix stupid.

(I speak from a family of alcoholics (mom’s side of the family)


_________________
I'm back, for the time being. Any one who even attempts to rip me a new rear end because of my opinions will find themselves reported to administration. Anyone on my Foes list that replies to my posts will automatically be reported for harassment. You have been warned.


Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,761

08 Nov 2019, 5:09 am

The reason I don't really drink is that I have yet to taste any alcohol that I didn't want to spit out, that I'd want to continue drinking. I don't have much of a problem with trying new drinks at a party or something when it doesn't cost me anything, but when I don't like it, I don't drink it. Some people find this bizarre and say that it's not even meant to taste good. I can understand eating some really healthy stuff despite not liking it, I do that too, but can't understand the point of eating or drinking something one doesn't like otherwise. If one just wants to be polite, having the glass in hand and taking a really small sip every now and then should do.



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,892
Location: Maidstone, UK

08 Nov 2019, 5:28 am

Brivae wrote:
Why are we comparing average aspie behavior to drunk NT behavior? It sounds like we’re saying Aspies are drunk all the time, without the liquor. =]


I am having trouble explaining in words what I mean, so I'm going to give up on this thread. I do have trouble explaining things to get my point across beyond using simple vocabulary and making my posts too long. I wish I could think up more intelligent words to get people understanding what I mean.
It's very frustrating being me.


_________________
Female
Aged 29
On antidepressants
Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder


magz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,016
Location: Poland

08 Nov 2019, 9:08 am

Joe90 wrote:
I am having trouble explaining in words what I mean, so I'm going to give up on this thread. I do have trouble explaining things to get my point across beyond using simple vocabulary and making my posts too long. I wish I could think up more intelligent words to get people understanding what I mean.
It's very frustrating being me.

As a non-native English speaker, I use thesaurus.com a lot to find the "intelligent" words I need.


_________________
Keep calm and choose your battles carefully.


Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,892
Location: Maidstone, UK

08 Nov 2019, 2:05 pm

magz wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I am having trouble explaining in words what I mean, so I'm going to give up on this thread. I do have trouble explaining things to get my point across beyond using simple vocabulary and making my posts too long. I wish I could think up more intelligent words to get people understanding what I mean.
It's very frustrating being me.

As a non-native English speaker, I use thesaurus.com a lot to find the "intelligent" words I need.


Hmm, now that might be an idea. Then I can get people in this thread to understand my point instead of thinking I mean something else.


_________________
Female
Aged 29
On antidepressants
Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder


Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,709
Location: Beautiful(?) York Township PA

08 Nov 2019, 3:51 pm

Joe90 wrote:
magz wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I am having trouble explaining in words what I mean, so I'm going to give up on this thread. I do have trouble explaining things to get my point across beyond using simple vocabulary and making my posts too long. I wish I could think up more intelligent words to get people understanding what I mean.
It's very frustrating being me.

As a non-native English speaker, I use thesaurus.com a lot to find the "intelligent" words I need.


Hmm, now that might be an idea. Then I can get people in this thread to understand my point instead of thinking I mean something else.


In my younger days, when I blew my top, you needed the Oxford English Dictionary to figure out what I was saying (and it usually not very pretty.)


_________________
I'm back, for the time being. Any one who even attempts to rip me a new rear end because of my opinions will find themselves reported to administration. Anyone on my Foes list that replies to my posts will automatically be reported for harassment. You have been warned.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 64,144
Location: Queens, NYC

09 Nov 2019, 11:23 am

I get your point.

Many people feel like drinking alcohol with others is a sign of camaraderie.

In Russia, it’s much easier to make friends if you drink (and, especially, buy or bring) vodka than if you don’t.



GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,259

14 Nov 2019, 7:36 am

When I used to play pickup sports, people used to find it strange that I rarely drink alcohol after the game. Finally someone asked me if I was Mormon or a similar religion. Why is it so hard to understand I don't find it worth the high cost and nothing more? This was further compounded that one of the guys admitted he had gotten a DUI that cost him thousands of dollars in fines and increased insurance premiums and even though he warned everyone about how negative the consequences are still drinks before driving!