Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 10:41 am

Recently I brought my first ever pair of glasses.

However my parents are discouraging me from wearing them especially when I am out socially with friends.

Do you think it’s odd that my parents think I should not wear my glasses often?

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 10:42 am

Yes.

I've only ever been discouraged by people who thought they were sunglasses and by men who didn't care about me.

I think parents should be going on about medical needs not aesthetics.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 10:58 am

KT67 wrote:
Yes.

I've only ever been discouraged by people who thought they were sunglasses and by men who didn't care about me.

I think parents should be going on about medical needs not aesthetics.

Maybe my parents think glasses are not very flattering on the face?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 11:07 am

Don't your parents understand that you probably need those glasses to see?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 11:08 am

Joe90 wrote:

Well apparently I only need glasses to correct my distance vision which can come in handy when driving a car etc. I can see better up close without glasses on.

Generally though the glasses do sharpen and improve my eyesight.

Can I also mention as well that when my parents started wearing glasses they would avoid wearing them in social situations.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 11:39 am

Jamesy wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Well apparently I only need glasses to correct my distance vision which can come in handy when driving a car etc. I can see better up close without glasses on.

Can I also mention as well that when my parents started wearing glasses they would avoid wearing them in social situations.

Well I hope they let you wear glasses when driving because it's illegal and dangerous to drive without glasses if you need glasses (unless you have contacts).

People criticise me for not wearing glasses because I squint whenever I read letters or numbers that's not close enough to me. But I don't think glasses suit me, I'm afraid I will look plain or socially "weak" if I wear them. But I don't want to use contacts.

I don't think my eyesight is that weak. I just can't always see details from a distance, like facial expressions on the TV or text on a faraway wall, that's all.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 11:56 am

Jamesy wrote:

Ah, right there is the answer.
Your parents seem to be wanting to have you carry on their insecurity and perhaps vanity.
"Sorry, parents, my life is not your life 2.0"

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 12:04 pm

It's very odd that they're discouraging you from wearing your glasses in public. They're definitely just trying to push their insecurities on you, and you don't have to listen to them. If you want to wear them in public, please feel free to do so.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 12:12 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Well I hope they let you wear glasses when driving because it's illegal and dangerous to drive without glasses if you need glasses (unless you have contacts).

People criticise me for not wearing glasses because I squint whenever I read letters or numbers that's not close enough to me. But I don't think glasses suit me, I'm afraid I will look plain or socially "weak" if I wear them. But I don't want to use contacts.

I don't think my eyesight is that weak. I just can't always see details from a distance, like facial expressions on the TV or text on a faraway wall, that's all.

Yeah sadly I tried contact lenses a week ago at specsavers and they were just impossible for me to take in and out :(

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 9:50 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Do you think it’s odd that my parents think I should not wear my glasses often?

Yes. Definitely.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 9:58 pm

To be honest, I think it's odd that you're 31 and your parents have an influence over your choices. If you like your glasses, you need your glasses, and you presumably chose that particular pair, then their opinion should have no bearing on what you do. I'd remind them you're an adult and can do what you'd like.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 1:44 pm

In many films, people with glasses are often seen as ugly. Perhaps this notion has come into your parents' minds.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Apr 2021, 1:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
To be honest, I think it's odd that you're 31 and your parents have an influence over your choices.
My thought as well. Your parents may like or not like the way you look but it's basically not their business what you do with your life as an adult.
I wear glasses especially in social situations because this way I can recognize who's waving at me.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 2:01 pm

magz wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
To be honest, I think it's odd that you're 31 and your parents have an influence over your choices.
My thought as well. Your parents may like or not like the way you look but it's basically not their business what you do with your life as an adult.
I wear glasses especially in social situations because this way I can recognize who's waving at me.

If he asked their opinion, that's one thing - but it seems like they just randomly offered a negative opinion.

That's totally not OK.

When my daughter was about three she wanted to wear bright red with purple and I told her it didn't look good. 21 years later she still rants at me that it was none of my business, and she should have been able to wear whatever she wanted. :P

I don't think I've critiqued anything she wears or does, since then. ^

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 7:45 am

NaturalEntity wrote:
In many films, people with glasses are often seen as ugly. Perhaps this notion has come into your parents' minds.

My parents wear there glasses all the time