The pandemic stole a year I’ll never get back

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 7:31 pm

I feel like the pandemic stole a year of potentially building social skills that I will never be able to make up for nor get back. I follow the social distancing policy most places on my area uphold even though my state allows businesses to forgo mask wearing unless the business chooses to keep it but I still see people who are friends as well as romantic couples going around and I am constantly reminded that I still struggle to make new friends and I still don’t have a girlfriend. People at work talk about their Friday and Saturday night late fun times while my invitation to any sort of party has essentially been lost in the mail.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 8:25 pm

We all lost a year. Some of us also lost family members. You don't get any special consideration because you lost a year, because we all did. At least you didn't lose your housing or have to starve.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 9:52 pm

Covid-19 took my uncle.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 11:40 pm

Marknis wrote:
... my invitation to any sort of party has essentially been lost in the mail.

This is so appropriate, it hurts.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 8:09 am

Sorry about your uncle, Blackice.....

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2021, 10:39 am

i can honestly say , this lockdown business made me realise alot of things . and WrongPlanet has made me realise , if I'm trynna make new Friends.. i might aswell cut the crap.and either interact with others 10 years Older and up . or Other People on the Spectrum . there are too many gaps between me and alot of people .

OP , Get on Youtube and Look at Some Tutorials . Body Language . How To Make Friends etc . it will Help .

as For a Partner . Learn To Recognise Other People of The Oppositw Sex on The Spectrum. This Will Definately Save You Alot of Time Wasting

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 11:21 am

None of us get any years back, at the best or worst of times.

Carpe Diem.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 11:48 am

you seem more desperate to get a girlfriend than a poor person would be desperate to get a job

usually those who are desperate have less chance of finding a girlfriend
depending your whole life on getting a girlfriend isnt the right way to go about it

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 7:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Thanks, but I was just offering a perspective to Marknis. On the bright side, he has only experienced inconvenience during the pandemic. It could be much worse than losing some time and as pandemics go it could have been far worse.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 8:00 pm

blackicmenace wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Thanks, but I was just offering a perspective to Marknis. On the bright side, he has only experienced inconvenience during the pandemic. It could be much worse than losing some time and as pandemics go it could have been far worse.

I am sorry you lost an uncle. I lost one to cancer close to ten years ago now.

Just please understand depression messes with my perception of time. A day can feel like a week to me and a month can feel like a year.

Last edited by Marknis on 13 Apr 2021, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 8:22 pm

Marknis wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Just please understand depression messes with my perception of time. A day can feel like a week to me and a month can feel like a year.

I wasn't trying to invalidate your experience. I was hoping you would see what you can be thankful for. There is a lot to be thankful for and you don't know what is in store in your future.

*Fixed for you Marknis

Last edited by blackicmenace on 13 Apr 2021, 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 8:23 pm

blackicmenace wrote:
Marknis wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I still think my emotions are valid, though. I also don’t think what I’ve had to go through is mere inconvenience.

I wasn't trying to invalidate your experience. I was hoping you would see what you can be thankful for. There is a lot to be thankful for and you don't know what is in store in your future.

See my edit to my last post.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2021, 3:25 pm

I feel the same way. I was so lonely for a lot of the pandemic. That's partially why I joined this forum. But at the same time it offered me things and experiences I may not have had otherwise.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 5:24 pm

Marknis wrote:
I feel like the pandemic stole a year of potentially building social skills that I will never be able to make up for nor get back.

The pandemic is still not completely over with. But, during the remainder of the pandemic, I would suggest that you use your spare time to:

(1) Consider carefully a long term career goal and a strategy for attaining same. (You can hash out various possibilities with us here on Wrong Planet, or in the other forum if you prefer.)

(2) Start building a blog or website devoted to some hobby of yours that is of interest to substantial numbers of women as well as men.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 9:55 am

It's possible to find in-person groups even during a scamdemic. There's Facebook, there's Meetup, there are non-mainstream platforms. It's harder now than it was a year ago, since many platforms became heavy-handed with censorship and bans, but not impossible. You just gotta know where to look and how to read between the lines. Many groups are happy to have newcomers join, since most people in my area are extremely terrified of The Big Bad Virus.

So if loneliness is a problem for you, jump on one of these platforms, and see what in-person groups you can join.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 12:23 pm

The pandemic stole my time with my mum which is precious because she's ill with cancer and nobody knows how long she has left. :cry: