Any tips on how to make online friends?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 1:41 pm

petraA wrote:
As for OP making friends online... I met my husband online and have made a few other good online friends. Like you said online convos with strangers tend to get boring fast. But they're basically a litmus test. You need to have a lot of them cause otherwise you will never find the few people for whom they don't get boring fast. In general when I have found these people we will talk non-stop for the first week at least. Thats how you know you found someone worth while and if you have then you need to put in the effort. Basically ask them about themselves and learn about their perspective so you can offer good advice and be there for them and they'll do the same for you. I have used the "36 questions to fall in love" thing to break the ice with non-romantic interests who I really enjoy talking to as it can help transition from more theoretical talk into discussing your own lives. I guess a lot of NTs might find it weird but my autistic friends liked it cause it was straight forward and systematic and my NT friends are people okay with a bit of weirdness or they wouldn't want to be friends with me lol.

I think talking to more people is something that I definitely need to do. I get a bit discouraged when conversations online don't work out, but like you said they're like a litmus test, and I should be talking to more people instead of less.

The questions you suggested are also a very good idea, thank you for your response!

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 1:43 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Even before the pandemic, and even so much stay at home times, I've long felt that the goals of making online friendships are not important.

I understand that penpals (old-fashioned correspondence away from the distractions of TECH.) have seen renewed interest - hence ways to correspond with people at a distance.

After the pandemic is under control, reconsider online sites (best known) http://www.meetup.com - whose purpose is to coordinate activities to meet people in one's local regions. Refocus on activities requiring thoughtful participation. For example, arts related activities offer excellent opportunities to "break the ice!"

I do want to meet people in real life eventually, but I can't really keep up irl friendships right now. Even before the pandemic my parents wouldn't let me go anywhere by myself and they won't take me places to meet people, so that's why I'm trying to make online friends.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2021, 1:45 pm

magicrabbit wrote:
The best way I've found to make friends online is to just be yourself and be honest and open. I am on here to make new friends too, so feel free to PM me if you would like to talk. My name is Emily, I'm 34 from MN.

Thank you for the advice, and for the offer to PM! :D You seem very nice and I'll consider that.