Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LordMikey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2021, 9:05 pm

(Note: A person who is asocial feels like they don't need friends; this is different from being antisocial)

Edit: Maybe this post belongs in a different forum... Oh well!

It is literally impossible to help someone who does not have interest in socialization make friends, and any attempts to do so are likely to damage that person's reputation when they respond in an unfriendly way, which obviously makes the situation worse. Find something to help people with which you can do without their participation or which they are willing and able to participate in doing, or leave them alone. Helping someone who does not want friends make friends does not help them in any way, because you will definitely fail, and almost definitely make them the target of mean people who feel hurt by rejection.

Thanks

P.S. I am a college educated adult living in the State of Oregon, USA.

I am not qualified to give advice of a medical or psychiatric nature.

THANK YOU!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 9:30 pm

You certainly have a right not to make friends if you don't want to.

I hope you get all the practical support you need from your family, and I hope you have younger siblings or other relatives who would be willing to help look after you when you get older.

Most people need friends in order to have an adequate support network.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 11:49 am

Helping an antisocial person make friends is like helping a lesbian find a boyfriend.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2021, 11:30 pm

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
Helping an antisocial person make friends is like helping a lesbian find a boyfriend.

Well said! The only way I could make the analogy any more fun is if I got to pick the lesbian and the guy we want to fix her up with. :) Oh look; my evil twin showed up tonight...