Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 11:59 am

Last night at the pub this guy (who I don't know that well) looked at me and said infront of my friends "He looks dodgy".

The question is though is how would you define a dodgy looking person? To be fair the guy who made the comment to me had a few drinks.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 12:40 pm

Its not possible to say really. He could've been remarking about you not saying much (im totally guessing here). Some body language he didnt like the look of...or whatever, could've been many. different. things. young man.
Now report to the headmaster and hand in your homework.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 1:12 pm

You seem like a magnet for people who like to make stupid comments in pubs.....

I would have been a magnet, too, if I kept on hanging out in pubs.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 4:38 pm

Why do you go to these pubs and drink with these judgemental idiots?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 4:43 pm

I'm guessing he thinks bar patrons are cool.....like they "know about life" or something.

Yes, a quote from an English professor I know--who told me people who don't go to bars are "not really living life."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 5:04 pm

Jamesy wrote:
. . . how would you define a dodgy looking person?
I am taking this question literally, so bear with me.

To me, a "dodgy-looking" person looks out-of-place for some reason: Dressed down when others are dressed up; disheveled hair and clothes when others are neat and tidy; staring or avoiding eye contact when others are somewhere in-between; nervous and jerky when others are calm and relaxed; showing off their bodies when others are more modest; invading other people's personal space when those other want to keep their distance; et cetera.

You could have been doing any of these things, and perhaps many more as well.  Maybe pubs are not the best places for you to hang out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 5:38 pm

"Dodgy neighbourhoods," in the UK, are ones where there is an overall "threatening" aura about it. Neighborhoods to avoid. An area where people hang out in alleys, ready to stomp on victims.

I sense that the guy who called James "dodgy" was drunk, and perhaps was looking for a fight----or was looking to insult James without necessarily fighting.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 9:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
"Dodgy neighbourhoods," in the UK, are ones where there is an overall "threatening" aura about it. Neighborhoods to avoid. An area where people hang out in alleys, ready to stomp on victims.

I sense that the guy who called James "dodgy" was drunk, and perhaps was looking for a fight----or was looking to insult James without necessarily fighting.

Nah, neighbourhoods in the UK with a large number of ethnic minorities are regarded as dodgy. There is nothing dodgy about these areas. POC equals threatening to some.

Apologies for going off topic, Jamesy.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 3:01 am

A dodgy neighborhood in the UK is similar to what k.k. describes. Probably has those helium canisters on the floor and needles in a doorway.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 3:19 am

I was wondering when we would get another one of these questions :)

My interpretation of what this person meant is 'suspicious' or 'someone to keep an eye on as they may cause harm'.

But what I am most interested in is how your "friends" responded. Did they defend you in any way, speak up for you, or leave you to handle this rude person on your own? These type of events are good ways to tell if your friends are actually friends. If they did not defend you then perhaps they are not really friends.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 3:33 am

munstead wrote:
I was wondering when we would get another one of these questions :)

My interpretation of what this person meant is 'suspicious' or 'someone to keep an eye on as they may cause harm'.

But what I am most interested in is how your "friends" responded. Did they defend you in any way, speak up for you, or leave you to handle this rude person on your own? These type of events are good ways to tell if your friends are actually friends. If they did not defend you then perhaps they are not really friends.

No they did not defend me. The pub I go to is "working class'

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 4:53 am

I don't see the relevance of 'class' to this situation.

My interpretation is that these people are not your friends.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 5:55 am

There are “council estates” where the majority of residents are white people of British origin. Many of these are pretty dodgy.

To assume I was “euphemising” about “minority” areas would be dead wrong.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 6:06 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There are “council estates” where the majority of residents are white people of British origin. Many of these are pretty dodgy.

To assume I was “euphemising” about “minority” areas would be dead wrong.

No I did not assume that at all!!

I was simply giving you information. Where I live, some areas are labelled dodgy because it's full of minorities.

Edit: trying make it make sense!

Last edited by Where_am_I on 25 May 2022, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 6:18 am

If they’re labeled dodgy when they are not, that should be called out.

Stratford, London is often called dodgy. It’s a rather heavily minority area. I’ve been there. I don’t see the “dodge.”

I live in a “majority minority” area. Lots of garden apartments. Some private houses. Tree-lined streets, parks. Left $10 on the sidewalk at 7 AM. Was still there at 10 PM.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 7:13 am

I think the regulars don't like the look of me for some reason?