Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2023, 9:24 pm

I was never really very immersed in social media. I left facebook about 10 years ago, have had a twitter account for the last decade or so, and have used snapchat as well as discord. However, they have all bored me to tears. Throughout the years, twitter is the only one I consistently used and I restricted it to posting very particular messages regarding my special interest which is in the social sciences.

I have never found any of the social media websites or apps "social" or good for making friends so I am perennially baffled when I encounter people who say it has been beneficial. Then I remind myself that people's definitions of friends might be precarious. I have decided to delete twitter simply because that too is not really that interesting but also because, again, I have made no social connections on there. Even if I did, I would imagine that the nature of such connections would be very noncommittal and thus meaningless due to the ephemeral and narcissistic nature of such apps and websites.

For instance, the reason I left facebook many years ago was due to the show and tell nature of the whole website. As for Discord, it is basically a giant chatroom in which nothing seems to happen, even if I joined a server with so-called like-minded interests or identities that purported to reflect myself. That got boring and hollow very quickly. As for snapchat, that is a very uneventful and tedious venture.

I think some of this boils down to finding it actually difficult to communicate on these apps and sites in the context of making friends. However, it is also based on the pathetic way they are designed purely ot maximise engagement of a very superficial and narcissistic kind.

Overwall,

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 3:40 pm

I share your dislike of most major social media platforms, especially Facebook.

I still post on Twitter now and then, but, in my opinion, old-fashioned message boards like Wrong Planet are much better for the purpose of having actual meaningful discussion.

xxSkull_Princessxx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 May 2023, 1:13 am

Social media is the new cigarette anyways. Both are highly addictive and can be harmful to your health.

I do use a few social media platforms (mostly YouTube and SpaceHey), but am absolutely repulsed by the garbage platforms that most of my peers use such as stupid Instagram and TikTok. :disgust:

I prefer internet forums such as this one.

xenawarriorprincess
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jun 2023, 10:09 pm

I left social media a very long time ago, because it became too toxic for me. I experience enough toxicity in real life and see it plenty.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 10:13 pm

I really do prefer forums over the larger corporate social media sites. Much more homey.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

WilliamK1997
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jun 2023, 11:03 am

This is a social media platform

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 11:24 am

WilliamK1997 wrote:
This is a social media platform

It is, but more reminiscent of the old days of the internet and therefor less trafficked. Which overall (imo) makes it less toxic.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 11:26 am

I left FB in 2015, tried briefly in 2017, both times the actual leaving was caused by FB itself before I took action on the sensory overload and general stress I had realized it was causing.

Was in and really enjoyed several health support groups for those of us who have incurable illnesses, but the rest of FB was too much.

Have never been on Twitter, Instagram, the others.

As you've seen from posts elsewhere on here I do use YouTube.
Since TV is instant sensory overload, I can find slower and calmer things on YT.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 11:31 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
I left FB in 2015, tried briefly in 2017, both times the actual leaving was caused by FB itself before I took action on the sensory overload and general stress I had realized it was causing.

Was in and really enjoyed several health support groups for those of us who have incurable illnesses, but the rest of FB was too much.

Have never been on Twitter, Instagram, the others.

As you've seen from posts elsewhere on here I do use YouTube.
Since TV is instant sensory overload, I can find slower and calmer things on YT.

I'm on facebook, but I swear these sites are actively working to make themselves unusable. I've been automatically flagged a few times on FB for entirely benign comments. (Like I have an account warning for.... *checks notes*.... telling someone that I agreed they were being bullied)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 11:32 am

I agree. I suppose at first I was intrigued by social media as it was such a new thing.

The mistake I made on Facebook was to make friends (or so I thought) with people I met online. Instead of restricting my friend list to people I'd actually met in person. At least I think that was the mistake I made. But I got bored of all the bltchiness on Facebook and deleted it some years ago.

I was lucky on Twitter that I found a lovely group of friends using one hashtag and had a good Twitter experience. Well, that was my 4th account, the previous 3 were full of trolls and bots and abuse. Then the muskrat took over and I couldn't stay there with the way he runs it. And again, I got bored of it.

I never joined Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok or whatever else there is.

The one I really like now is Mastodon, it's not run by a huge company, it's all little communities run by individuals. So far, and I emphasise SO FAR, people are polite and friendly and normal. No abuse, no whataboutery, no pile-ons. Just conversations.

I always liked forums before the big social media came along, probably because they are moderated and more civilised, and the big sites are free-for-alls with anything goes.

Anyway, that wasn't particularly relevant but it was my experience :lol:

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 9:50 am

I never have had a facebook account. One of my ex's was really into that place and from my perspective, it looked like the place where adults go to behave like petulant children. :lol: I never did understand the appeal of it. My social media is limited to this place and a subreddit I go to for a game I play so I can trade in game stuff. I'm really boring like that but find my life lacks a lot of the drama that others have from being on certain sites.

I was reading somewhere that those sites are so addicting because they hit on your brain. If you get flooded with things you like you get that happy rush and if you get flooded with things that drive you insane your driven to respond and engage anyway, even perhaps more so than if you saw happy stuff. Seems nuts to me, but brains are powerful and wild things. I guess it makes sense people get sucked into it all. I just don't care for that kind of vibe. I like my stuff to be mellow.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 10:21 am

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
I never have had a facebook account. One of my ex's was really into that place and from my perspective, it looked like the place where adults go to behave like petulant children.
I was reading somewhere that those sites are so addicting because they hit on your brain.
but brains are powerful and wild things. I guess it makes sense people get sucked into it all. I just don't care for that kind of vibe. I like my stuff to be mellow.

Totally jibes with my experience of F-book & with related news and reading.

Here's a reference,
https://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2021/10/ ... explained/
Quote:
SCOPE Published by Stanford Medicine
Addictive potential of social media, explained
Author Bruce Goldman
Published on October 29, 2021
The curious title of Stanford psychiatrist Anna Lembke's book, Dopamine Nation: Finding Balance in the Age of Indulgence, pays tribute to the crucial and often destructive role that dopamine plays in modern society.
But the days when our species dwelled in caves and struggled for survival are long gone. Dopamine Nation explains how living in a modern society, affluent beyond comparison by evolutionary standards, has rendered us all vulnerable to dopamine-mediated addiction. Today, the addictive substance of choice, whether we realize it or not, is often the internet and social media channels, according to Lembke, MD.

"If you're not addicted yet, it's coming soon to a website near you," Lembke joked when I talked to her about the message of Dopamine Nation, which was published in August. This Q&A is abridged from that exchange.

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2023, 3:00 pm

AnomalousAspergian wrote:
For instance, the reason I left facebook many years ago was due to the show and tell nature of the whole website.

That's actually my favorite thing about Facebook. "Here are my vacation photos. I can post them in one place for everyone to see and ask any questions." I really like that kind of efficiency. (Theoretical efficiency; actual efficiency varies depending on flaky the site/app is on any given day.)

I haven't made new friends, but it's a good way to keep in touch with some that moved away.

I also curate my friends list extensively. Some people seem to think unfriending a person is some kind of personal affront. I see it as purely transactional: your content does not interest me. There are plenty of people I'm on speaking terms with even though I've either declined to friend them or have unfriended them after awhile.

I'm not looking for an echo chamber, but rather a quiet space. Nowadays when there's some political controversy it's completely absent from my Facebook feed.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 10:35 pm

I use Facebook mainly because many of my family members are on it. I know that my mum is ok because I see her posting there. I rarely post statuses, mainly I share things that I find funny or interesting. I've bought items through the ads I've seen.

My housemate has encouraged me to start a Twitter account but I know it will be very difficult for me to gain followers because I simply will not post much. I'm on Reddit but there is a lot there and I'll get stuck reading. I like it here, there's enough to read and has interesting threads and posts.

LittleZiggy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2023, 5:03 am

I kinda like twitter sometimes. I've used it for years for work purposes to promote myself and that's fine but I also use it kinda like WP to just have a bit of fun. I get suspended sometimes mind you.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 5:48 am

I've had an on/off relationship with Facebook for years. Currently trying to cut back on my use of Facebook groups - I'd got a bit addicted to scanning through them, yet at the same time I was usually disappointed by what I found there. Neverending flamewars, and groupthink that gets further and further from reality in not particularly fun ways.