I want a social life but I dont make enough money.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 12:21 am

I would like a social life outside of church but I dont have the discretionary income because I am unemployed and I lost my social security.I would like to make more friends in the community that dont go to my church but the thing is that I cant afford to go out and I cant afford to have hobbies.I live somewhere where you have to spend a good amount of money to have a meaningful social life.Basically all there is to do in this town in terms of fun for me outside of church is go to the same restaurants over and over again and that would destroy my budget.I have somewhat of a local social life outside of church in the late summer to fall because I go to football games but the season is still months away.But the football games are still with family.

I feel like I cant afford to go to Starbucks every day.I get 50 dollar a week allowance and I do the responsible thing with it and thats invest it in the stock market for retirement.Sadly, this means a social life outside of church is currently out of the question.I used to go to a young adults group from church every week to a restaurant or Christian coffee shop but I pretty much never got any thing because I could not afford it because of retirement savings goals.Do yall have any suggestions outside of getting a job because I am working on that one too?I just hate being bored and staying home pretty much every night of the week.I only do things with family because I dont have the money to do things like go out to eat and travel on my dime.My social life at church is free because the church does not make me give them money so at least I have free recreation that way.Any ideas for me?Thanks.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 9:47 am

Is there any chance of convincing your parents to pay for you to get whatever education you might need in order to take an active role in their oil company?

As a side benefit, there would be a bunch of people you get to meet with regularly outside of church.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 6:02 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Is there any chance of convincing your parents to pay for you to get whatever education you might need in order to take an active role in their oil company?

As a side benefit, there would be a bunch of people you get to meet with regularly outside of church.

No there's no chance.I dont have the complex math skills so it would be a waste.The company is not big enough to take much of our time.My dad would not pay me for working for the company anyways.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 6:42 pm

If you like Pokemon, you can play Pokemon Go and meetup with people.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 7:09 pm

Its pretty simple - Take a week's allowance and allocate it to doing something recreational...if you don't end up spending it all, add the remainder to the next week's investment, or put it aside for something recreational the next week. No one Invests 100% of there income for retirement - Speak to your financial advisor, find out what your ROI has been and readjust your portfolio, in your 30's you can afford to be a bit more aggressive in your investments and make up the shortfall of $50 a month.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 7:11 pm

honeytoast wrote:

I got banned from playing videogames by my dad so I dont play videogames anymore and I outgrew Pokemon.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 7:43 pm

DanielW wrote:
Its pretty simple - Take a week's allowance and allocate it to doing something recreational...if you don't end up spending it all, add the remainder to the next week's investment, or put it aside for something recreational the next week. No one Invests 100% of there income for retirement - Speak to your financial advisor, find out what your ROI has been and readjust your portfolio, in your 30's you can afford to be a bit more aggressive in your investments and make up the shortfall of $50 a month.

Thank you, DanielW.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 7:44 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
honeytoast wrote:

I got banned from playing videogames by my dad so I dont play videogames anymore and I outgrew Pokemon.

Guess I’ll never out grow video games or Pokémon. :lol:

~~~~

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 7:47 pm

Did I get blocked on this thread I can’t quote???

~~~~

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 7:54 pm

Not sure if it's a problem with my phone or not, but I was going to explain that Pokemon Go isn't a traditional video game - it's a free app that encourages you to walk outside and do things with other people.

~~~~

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 10:28 pm

honeytoast wrote:
Not sure if it's a problem with my phone or not, but I was going to explain that Pokemon Go isn't a traditional video game - it's a free app that encourages you to walk outside and do things with other people.

No thanks I dont like Pokemon no more but thanks for the suggestion.I dont have any friends my age to hang out with outside of church so thats another reason why I am lonely all the time.My mom wants me to start going to Starbucks to get coffee but I am too broke for that and I need that money to go towards my stock market hobby for retirement.But I just get tired staying home 6 days a week some weeks with nothing to do but same ol same ol.