What was the biggest tantrum you remember (over 10)?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 3:33 pm

I don't mean when you were a small child, but as an adolescent or adult, did you ever throw the biggest tantrum, as in freaking out, maybe because you didn't get something you wanted or were disappointed or whatever?

I remember when I was 13 I was going to be having a sleepover with my cousin, and I was really, really excited about it. But she had gone out with her friends earlier that day and wouldn't come back (said the bus had broken down along with other excuses), and I felt so painfully disappointed. So while my mum was on the phone receiving the bad news from my cousin's mum, I could tell it was bad news, and I absolutely lost it. I threw myself on to the floor a few times, screaming and screaming. Then (this might sound funny) whenever I stood up again I tried to do a twist in the air, or a somersault, but not out of enjoyment, just out of overwhelming energy I had from anger and frustration, still screaming and choking on my own rage. I jumped on the couch, literally running along the back of the couch, then threw myself on to the floor with a thud, and just couldn't stop screaming until I could no longer breathe. So, to stop myself from suffocating I had no choice but to calm down. Despite having such a dramatic tantrum, my mum still sympathised with me, and gave me a cuddle and I sobbed in her arms.
She understood that I was really looking forward to this sleepover and that I was lonely and that that wasn't the first time my cousin had let me down.

It was actually heartbreaking when I remember it, but also quite funny remembering myself trying to do cartoon-like flips and twirls in the air. Maybe something in me wanted to take off like a bird and be free, I don't know.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 4:14 pm

March 2007

After a court hearing with my ex when the children's lawyer lied about the children's wishes, and I found out the children's lawyer was connected to my ex's husband and working against me. The kids had written testimony that this ahole said I coerced them to write, when I didn't. It was deemed inadmissible.

I had to be carried to the car and thought I was going to choke to death on tears. It was a meltdown because I was thrashing and screaming and needed to be sedated when I got home. I was overwhelmed at feeling totally f****d by the system which is designed to hurt children.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 11:31 pm

I have a lot of this at ages 14-15.

By a lot, it meant to a point I basically stop moving with my life.

I can enumerate a lot of it;
- Many noise intolerance; resulting violence, chasing someone who ended up jumping out of the roof themselves, more property damage, skipping school...
- Mom buying things I didn't want with my money. It was my birthday. Ended up yelling an entire afternoon.
- Losing internet connection, fighting over computer time... For years. And being hypervigilant over the keyboard.

And no one gets it. So I have to do it myself.
The part that I stopped at all? I do not regret that.

It still happens. In my current 20s.
My most recent? Last month.

Mom touching my things and telling me to put it back. And I was so fricking exhausted after 10+ hours working, and after she had to demand to make me buy some food knowing that I'm tired enough to fall asleep.
:roll: Then she had a gall to mock me for it.

Basically exploded that night.
Then never spoke to her for weeks.
And still half a mind leaving her for good.

I don't think I'll ever feel the same way towards her again.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 11:36 pm

Another huge one I was when I was 14, on the London Bridge.
I was hot and tired and overwhelmed.
I'd asked my mum to buy me something in one of the shops and she said no.
I unleashed and went loco.
It didn't end well.

It was a combo tantrum (I wanted something) and meltdown (sensory fatigue).

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 11:41 pm

The biggest meltdowns I had past age 10 were from my parents intentionally provoking me in some way. I don't remember a few of them because I gave myself concussions during them. lmao

And I don't remember having like, a literal "tantrum" over wanting something past 10 though. I wasn't allowed to act like that. lol

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 11:48 pm

I've punched holes in walls, including through both sides.
I've ape-mauled people who were tormenting me before.
I've banged my head until I blacked out when I had a sinus infection.
I've banged my head that hard over other frustrations, even as an adult.

I threw a tantrum over not being able to buy clothes I wanted when I was 15.

I threw a tantrum on my brother when I was 18 because he kept taking the phone off the hook to mess up the dial-up internet connection.

I got used to getting frustrated and smacking my terminal or my monitor when I worked in a call centre. One day I punched a monitor hard enough it stopped working and was noticeably dented. My manager who was kind of a 'work mom' wrote me up and lost the write-up so no consequences occurred. I stopped hitting stuff but started dealing with a lot more stimming instead.

I threw a tantrum on a shelf that was wobbly a few months ago. I wasn't able to locate all of the pieces in the aftermath. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2023, 12:10 am

I had a huge meltdown a few years ago. I think I wrote it on here. I can't remember the details but it was something to do with smashing a bottle of red wine vinegar on my stone floor, and throwing salsa too.

I just found this classic memory too. I shared it with feeli0 in 2018.

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I broke a nativity scene that belonged to an evil, terrible person.
This was during a particularly violent encounter and its destruction was relevant to the situation.
Throwing it was so sacrilegious that it was cathartic for me.

I have more

xxSkull_Princessxx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2023, 1:32 am

It was more of a mental breakdown for me. It was Tuesday, March 3rd,2020. I came home from school that afternoon and broke into tears due to how low I had been feeling the past few months. It took hours for me to finally be able to stop crying and to control some of my negative thoughts. I was 13 1/2 years old and in 8th grade at the time.

Also, summer and early fall 2022 were an absolute nightmare for me, especially early August - early October 2022 when I was constantly and uncontrollably very sad and angry. I hated pretty much everyone and everything most of the time. I remember how I would oftentimes yell and scream over stupid things that annoyed me or made me feel jealous during that timeframe (such as one of my friends from school having snakebites when I really wanted those piercings, but wasn't allowed to because of my braces). My dreams would also haunt me and cause me further distress upon waking up from them.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 12:56 pm

I started a new thread called, "I can't stand this," as a reference.

When I was 35, I attended a synagogue for a few years that wasn't the right fit. Being that the other people knew that it would take me two hours to get there in public transit, several people would give me rides home. One member made it sound like she could take me home after services and lunch. Then when I went to find her, she told me it would be longer because she was helping wash some dishes and start getting ready for Passover. So, I ended up waiting for at least two hours. Additionally, she dragged her feet with some other things.

Things got to the point that I growled at her in annoyance which she saw as a meltdown because I have autism. When in reality, I was mad because I had expected to be home by a certain time so I could take a nap. I was also mad at her lack of communication.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 1:21 pm

Tantrum or meltdown?
There is a difference.

Mid 1990s.
Big time health crash.
Lost my job at AT&T.
Ran out of money.
Vocational rehab moving so very slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow because of the health problems.
If you can't even do the rehab exercises you certainly won't be able to do a job.
Dad said he was done with me because I hadn't immediately gotten another job.
Excuse me? When among the other health things happening, my hands are so stiff, swollen, painful, I can't hold on to a car's steering wheel or cut my food, and I'm "just lazy" because I didn't immediately go get another job? And you retired from the Navy on disability because YOUR health collapsed and YOU couldn't do YOUR job any more? Good God military people are such natural born as*holes & if they aren't then the military turns them in to as*holes because the military needs and thrives on as*holes.
Scheduled wedding was called off by her because of my health.
My soulmate cat, Annabelle, got killed in a tragic accident.
I ended up getting evicted and becoming homeless.

Bigtime meltdown around the time of getting the eviction notice.
Destroyed all my model airplanes, and a bunch of model trains.
Threw away a bunch of other model kits and hobby supplies.
Smashed dinnerware.
Even with my hands a mess there was so much emotional energy released that some glassware I threw dented the kitchen floor tiles.

Remember eventually asking psychologist, "Okay, so what could I have done to have not had that meltdown?"

Answer, "Looking at all that, I don't know. A lot of people would have decided life was too painful to continue."

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 1:38 pm

I have been there too.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 1:46 pm

I've thrown so many, they all blur together. The one that immediately came to mind was when I, an angst riddled teen, started destroying my only surfboard, because I couldn't pull off a move. I then went home and wrote the word "F*CK!" on it, in huge letters, with a marker. lol

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2023, 3:34 pm

As with most teenagers, I hated my mother lecturing me. It wasn't even so much the topics she would lecture me about; it was her tendency to be very long-winded and repetitive in the delivery. She'd go on for 20-30 minutes when 5 minutes would have sufficed, boring me more than a church service.

After one such lecture that had not only been tedious and repetitive, but I found the subject infuriating too (whatever it was I've long since forgotten) I punched a hole in my closet door. Thankfully, I did not break my hand.

Returning to Florida after evacuating from Hurricane Irma, I got stuck in extremely heavy, bumper-to-bumper traffic after dark. I also had to search to find somewhere that was open to get dinner. When I finally exited the interstate for good after several hours of that miserable experience, which had come at the end of a long day of driving, I screamed at the top of my lungs.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 4:13 pm

I flipped out because my sister was not allowing me to make my coffee as I wanted to, before we were to go to the old house to toss out the last of the stuff that wouldn't fit in this house. She and I were screaming at each other. It was bad enough to get one of our neighbors to call the cops. Now that I think of it, it reminds me of line in a punk song... "All I wanted was a Pepsi... AND SHE WOULDN'T GIVE IT TO ME!" lol

edit: I forgot I already commented above. My bad.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"