Spending two whole months in boring Ohio

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

kbergren21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2008, 6:02 pm

Hey, Im getting sent to attend a long boring Civil Engineering training school in Dayton, OH. Anybody on here from that area? Suggestions on what I should do on my down time in that area that would be interesting? Im down w/hanging out w/people too on the weekends sure the hell not going to know anybody or anything of the area. Thanks

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 8:11 pm

You could visit the K-mart in Xenia. The one that has the big K on the roof.

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 7:23 am

The air force museum is pretty awesome, or maybe do a bit of kayaking down the miami river. How's your transportation situation?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 10:04 am

What school is this?

Dayton's not too bad. There are museums and such, and the Dayton Philharmonic if you like classical music. I used to live north of Cincinnati, so not far from Dayton, but now I'm in Miami.

kbergren21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Sep 2008, 10:00 pm

It's the Air Force Civil Engineering School sigh 7 weeks of homosexual boredom ;). I think a lot of tax payers would fringe when they look how much money they spend on us putting us through pointless schools. Dang, the miami river sounds fun how fast is the river? I should have my own vehicle and a little spare cash... Got any more suggestions?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 10:10 pm

Dayton, Ohio? GACH! I spent a week there one night... :wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

WintersTale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2008, 10:15 am

Good old boring Ohio. :lol:

ChristinaCSB
Toucan
Toucan

22 Sep 2008, 10:57 pm

Cleveland rocks!

Kaylek
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Sep 2009, 3:41 pm

ChristinaCSB wrote:
Cleveland rocks!

You have no idea how much I wish I was in Cleveland right now. I'm from Cleveland, I moved to Dayton 3 weeks ago for a job.

In comparison to Dayton, Cleveland is like New York and Tokyo rolled into one. I've been trying to find something, ANYTHING, to keep myself occupied (Book Clubs, Church Groups, Etc.) but so far things haven't been going well.

Rhapsody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2009, 7:33 pm

The parks in and around Dayton are all pretty good. I go to them frequently...or I did when I was living down there. I'm in BG for school at the moment but Ohio is still pretty bland. It doesn't help that there's this perpetual cloud over Dayton.

Like everyone else said: there are art galleries and concerts and plays and museums.
St. Patty's day is really, really, really big (but you won't be there, will you? Good to know anyway I guess). Since you probably won't be there long, I doubt you'll run out of stuff to do. I mean, there's always movies if nothing else, but I like the parks best. Try Grant and Bill Yeck, they're two of the bigger ones. Grant has a fantastic variety of areas, like a marsh and forest, grasslands and stuff. Lots of animals too.

The river is a lot of fun too. I've been rafting and canoeing on it. It's good if you're just starting out, and I'm sure it's still fun even if you've canoed and rafted across the U.S.

I should probably add that if you're interested there is an AS social group that meets in the church across from Kettering/Fairmont High School last I checked.
http://darngroup.tripod.com/
That's their website. They have all sorts of branches from a parent group, a youth group, adult group and stuff. The people are really nice. I bet you can make some friends there.

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2009, 1:35 pm

You could visit the zipper museum.