Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 10:28 pm

There are a lot of sick, twisted evil people out there on the Internet, you can't really trust anyone. I feel realitively safe on this site but other places people can seriously trash you. There are sites I don't go on anymore because people will say whatever they want, making cruel and nasty comments because they know you can't really do anything about it. For years I have been quite fearful of the Internet. I only started going on it on a daily basis about a couple of years ago. I don't understand why more isn't being done to make the Internet safe? They did a lot to make sure kids don't see stuff on TV that isn't suitable, rating shows and V-Chip and stuff, but they don't seem to rally care much about the Internet. Whoever "they" are...

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 11:03 pm

You could always move to China. Lots of censorship in China. Half the Internet is blocked from access there.
Or you could just practice some common sense, learn to use the Internet wisely and stop whining about all that annoying freedom that's been thrust upon you.
Please don't ruin it for the rest of us by asking for the web to become a police state.
Sorry if my tone may seem harsh, but freedom of speech is an important issue and censorship is not a good thing.

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2010, 11:30 pm

Just remember they don't really know *you*. Some people will use the internet as an outlet to vent any crap than goes through their tiny little minds. I would definitely avoid sites where there is a lot of that, just because it is unpleasant and childish. There is only so much of "you are a poopyhead and you mate with unicorns" one can tolerate! :lol: But it is not *really* personal, they are responding to a faceless name whose feelings don't seem real to them. It's pretty clear who hasn't finished growing up yet, don't let it get to you.

I sure don't want anybody policing the ickyness of content on the internet, though, there are other ways to make it harder for kids to see the poopyheads who actually do mate with unicorns. Or whatever. Those of us who are grownups will just click elsewhere.

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2010, 11:38 pm

Vince wrote:
You could always move to China. Lots of censorship in China. Half the Internet is blocked from access there.
Or you could just practice some common sense, learn to use the Internet wisely and stop whining about all that annoying freedom that's been thrust upon you.
Please don't ruin it for the rest of us by asking for the web to become a police state.
Sorry if my tone may seem harsh, but freedom of speech is an important issue and censorship is not a good thing.

Agreed 100%

If you don't like being trashed online at all... don't post anything online. People will trash you just to trash you. Anybody can be a Keyboard warrior. They don't know you, and can't effect you unless you let them.

Plus Vchip and stuff is pretty pointless. Any kid with half a brain can get around that stuff.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 12:42 am

VincentVanJones wrote:
Vince wrote:

Agreed 100%

If you don't like being trashed online at all... don't post anything online. People will trash you just to trash you. Anybody can be a Keyboard warrior. They don't know you, and can't effect you unless you let them.

Plus Vchip and stuff is pretty pointless. Any kid with half a brain can get around that stuff.

Plus WrongPlanet.net has an efficient moderation team that swiftly investigates and resolves issues between members :D and by the rules for the good of the site.

Merle

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2010, 12:43 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Plus WrongPlanet.net has an efficient moderation team that swiftly investigates and resolves issues between members :D and by the rules for the good of the site.

Merle

I might add slightly over controlling and sensitive to the moderation team description but hey, thats just me :P

RichardP
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jan 2010, 1:54 am

I USE MY REAL NAME ON THE INTERNET COME WHAT BE. In my profiles I use accurate and timely information about myself. There will always be confused and foolish people who will say anything to you that pops into their heads. I just walk away from them without saying anything once I understanding them. If anyone says something really mean about me I think to myself that they don't know me and can't criticize me as well and honestly as I can criticize myself. It hurts none the less to get attacked because It rears me up in preparation for another bullying attack like I experienced when I was younger. I limit where I go now and even in a trusted place I think a lot before I say anything. You can too.

Maybe its not the internet per se that's the problem but the scope of it is too broad and dangerous for many of us to manage. Maybe what we need is a well scrutinized web ring for and by Aspies which is promoted well enough to guide our people into safer searching.

"The purpose of the physician is to entertain the patient whilst the disease runs its inevitable course." -Voltaire

Autism-Spectrum Quotient (AT) Test: 46

Broad Autism Phenotype Test: 132 aloof, 114 rigid, 99 pragmatic

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 9:21 am

There are a lot of sick, twisted evil people out there on the planet...

I know; we should all hide under our beds.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 9:47 am

My best friendships are (with the exception of postal services) online.
I feel lonely when they don't log in anywhere for a while.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 9:56 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I feel realitively safe on this site ...

Same here. I think most folks here abhor being bashed, trashed and bullied, and the mods do a great job of helping any others remember to not do that!

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 12:42 pm

Yes, there is a nice tendency on WP for people to think and post critically, without usually being abusive, and it's relatively safe.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 1:19 pm

VincentVanJones wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Merle

I might add slightly over controlling and sensitive to the moderation team description but hey, thats just me :P

I think it is interesting that 97% of our members have never come to the attention of the moderation team, however other members are followed pretty closely. But hey, you are probably used to that. :)

Merle

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2010, 10:50 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
VincentVanJones wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Merle

I think it is interesting that 97% of our members have never come to the attention of the moderation team, however other members are followed pretty closely. But hey, you are probably used to that. :)

Merle

This is one time where I know keeping my mouth shut will benefit me :)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 10:56 pm

There are a lot of scary people out there.

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 7:33 am

sinsboldly wrote:
VincentVanJones wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Merle

Merle

I guess it all depends on how controversial your views are. The more controversial, the more likely you're being followed. It's the same everywhere and often the most supposebly "tolerant" communities are actually most likely to ban people for controversial opinions alone. Especially iberal forums(like "Aspies for Freedom") tend to be very totalitarian.

Anyway, I prefer Internet communication to "real life" communication in many aspects.... the most important one being the lack of non-verbal communication.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2010, 7:52 pm

I just use one rule when communicating online...

Unless you know the person in real life, it's just words on a screen. Don't get personal, don't get attached.