Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

X
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Mar 2006, 3:55 am

When I come across someone that I know, I often try to avoid looking at them because I fear having to say "hi" to them. It is very awkward. I want to say "hi" to them, but I feel as if an invisible force prevents me from doing so. Does anyone else have this problem?

alex
Developer
Developer

03 Mar 2006, 6:33 am

I do that sometimes but not because I fear saying hi. I just don't want to say hi to everyone I see unless I'm in a "hi" mood.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2006, 6:54 pm

I can be quite shy on occasions so it sometimes works out that I can't say 'hi' to people as I feel, like yourself X, that there is something holding me back. I usually hope they notice me and say 'hi' to me so then I don't have to make the first move.

quietangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2006, 8:01 pm

I usually omit the hi how are you for a couple of reasons. First, when I have something to say to someone, I talk to them merely because I have to communicate that piece of information. Second, I just have never done it. Maybe it wastes time, maybe I feel that if I do it, I will forget what I need to say. It all depends on the circumstances.
EC (eye contact) depends on the person for me.

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2006, 2:41 pm

X wrote:
When I come across someone that I know, I often try to avoid looking at them because I fear having to say "hi" to them. It is very awkward. I want to say "hi" to them, but I feel as if an invisible force prevents me from doing so. Does anyone else have this problem?

I have ex-act-ly the same problem.

baby
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Mar 2006, 3:55 pm

if its someone that i know i will say Hi or hey to them and see whether they want to chat or not, but if it is an aquaintance or someone that i maybe don't know as well, i'll just not or meet their eyes to show that i've seen them

baby

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2006, 5:31 pm

rhubarbpluscustard wrote:
X wrote:

I have ex-act-ly the same problem.

Me too! Certainly with people I don't know well, people who are merely acquaintances. Also, it's because I cringle at the scenario of saying hello to someone and being ignored.

autisticon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2006, 8:36 am

I almost always manage to get away w/o saying hi. If they make eye contact with me, or say something first, I will greet them. However if they're not looking, or talking to someone else, I'll sneak by w/o saying a word.