Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

X
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Mar 2006, 2:36 am

I have recently read several articles on social interaction, specifically the ones on WrongPlanet and a few on Wikihow.com. The instructions appeared great on paper (actually the computer screen) , and I was confident that I would be able to be normal at a party that I went to today. However, once there were other humans present, I was unable to utilize the behaviors described in the articles. I wanted to join small talk, make eye contact, use positive body language, appear confident etc., but I still ended up staring at the ground, a wall, or a plant. It was as if some invisible force was impeding my speech and movement.

Does anyone have advice on overcoming fear and executing the instructions provided by the guides on social interaction?

Also, if I am talking to someone, at what exact intervals should I make eye contact and where should I look when I am not making eye contact?

Thanks.

Brainsforbreakfast
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Mar 2006, 7:48 am

you know, changes come with time after practice. You can't expect to read a dozen articles on different subjects (i.e. eye contact, body language, conversation topics etc.) and all implement them at the same time.

Quote:
Does anyone have advice on overcoming fear and executing the instructions provided by the guides on social interaction?

My tip for you is, try to practice and implement one or two things at a time. Then, after those are at least semi comfortable, try the next techniques. Practice them with friends, or people you are comfortable with. Don't be affraid you make a bad impresion, us aspies already make bad impresions, so if we try something, it can only give better results ;)

Oh, and good luck to you! :)

Also, if I am talking to someone, at what exact intervals should I make eye contact and where should I look when I am not making eye contact?