Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2010, 11:29 pm

I heard somewhere that's common for guys with AS. Wonder why

FuzzyElephants
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2010, 11:54 pm

I have no idea but I have a similar situation. I tend to get along better with men than I do with other woman.

Which sucks because my husband is in the army... and i've been informed that "people talk"...
so basically if I'm seen talking to a man and my husband is nowhere in sight then the neighbors all think i'm screwing around on my husband.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 11:58 pm

I have more female friends than male friends, but it's becoming almost 50/50 now.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

lithium73
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2010, 12:59 am

Very much so, i cannot make friends with males and find it very hard to form associations with males, but i usually get along quite well with females and most (95+%) of my friends are females. I find it much easier to start talking to females and find that i seem to have a similar world view whereas i just cannot grasp the male world. This had me quite confused until i sussed the whole Aspie thing and led to me being often labelled as gay by those who didnt know me.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 1:31 pm

Wow. You guys are blessed! LOL. It's always been the opposite with me.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 2:00 pm

When I was younger, most of my friends were female, but I went to another school, where the majority of students were male and I got along well with them.

I am now at a school for autistics and there are more male autistics than female at our school.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 2:08 pm

FuzzyElephants wrote:
I have no idea but I have a similar situation. I tend to get along better with men than I do with other woman.

Which sucks because my husband is in the army... and i've been informed that "people talk"...
so basically if I'm seen talking to a man and my husband is nowhere in sight then the neighbors all think i'm screwing around on my husband.

I think the majority of people will understand about opposite-sex friends.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 3:08 pm

I don't find it easier to initiate interaction, but it's slightly easier to lower my guard. It can also be easier to get close during conversation.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 3:20 pm

I find it easier to interact with guys (I am a guy). For some reason when I'm around girls, I'm always afraid that some cues I make will be a sign of disrespect or rudeness or something.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 10:30 pm

The sex of someone really doesn't make a difference, my social skills suck regardless, Usually it's someone's personality that does it for me. There are girls I talk to now that I wouldn't even go near five years ago. They show interest in me so I can't help but want to interact with them.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2010, 10:33 pm

I've never met a man I've been uncomfortable around.

I can count on one hand the number of women I feel comfortable around.

It sucks that I'm in nursing - it's all women. Sigh.

FuzzyElephants
Raven
Raven

12 Feb 2010, 1:06 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
FuzzyElephants wrote:

I think the majority of people will understand about opposite-sex friends.

The majority of people in the real world, yes, but not on an army base... Aparently there's a huge problem with infidelity in military families so people are quick to assume the worst. It's crap especially for people like me who think in logic and statistics... 1 in 3 people has some sort of STD, (besides being head over heels in love with my husband) that's enough reason for me not to ever even entertain the idea of having an affair. Those are odds i'm just not willing to play. Anytime I mention that to anyone here though they get rather defensive. Bah humbug...

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2010, 12:56 am

I never understood this one, as many times as it shows up in these forums. I find girls to be far more difficult to interact with - let alone understand - than guys.

The common argument is that girls are "more mature" than guys for some given age a, but once we're in college-age territory, it doesn't matter. We're all equally immature.

If we're talking about initiation as a one-sided affair - in other words, analyzing only how we initiate stuff with our friends and acquaintances - it's a million million times easier to do it with guys. But then it could be the guy friends I have: we all are quite good at speaking our minds. Perhaps in Normal People Land such a distinguishment does not exist.

hellopeople
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2010, 12:00 am

When I was a kid it was easy to talk to girls. When I got to the age where boys and girls start pairing off, they weren't so nice to me anymore. I have social anxiety now and have a very difficult time talking to girls.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 4:39 am

I get on very well with men but, initially, I always find it easier talking to females because women are a bit more jolly and have a way of putting you at ease when you first meet them and are easier to talk to (even if, for some, it is all put on) whereas I find men to be a bit more stand-off ish (a bit like myself lol). But when I get to know people better, I find that I get on with males better overall than with females.

Technikilor
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2010, 4:45 am

I'm sexually and emotionally attracted to males, but I get along better with and have more friends who are females.