Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

bubzy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Feb 2010, 10:44 am

I recently got a directory of alumni from my old school district. Now I have the chance to reconnect with some of these people, but should I? I especially want to connect with a couple of people that were in my special needs classes, and one of them I havn't seen since the 3rd grade, but maybe they want to reconnect? We can compare notes on what life has been like, and reminisce about the good old days.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 11:05 am

It should hopefully be a fascinating experience.

I am trying to organise a reunion of my old school that I attended in the 1960's and it is quite weird to reconnect with people after so long.
Of course there are a few I would rather not reconnect with but attendance is not compulsory and hopefully have change somewhat in the intervening 40 years :)

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2010, 11:46 am

If it were me, I would go for it. You have nothing to lose.

I got in touch with my best friend from elementary school last winter. He moved out of the neighborhood after my fifth grade year, and due to his family's circumstances, I thought that we would never see or hear from one another again. To make a long story short, I was on the phone at work one evening with a customer who lived in the same small town that he moved to. She kind of knew my friend, but asked me to follow up with her for more info. I was able to find out where he moved to post-high school, and reconnect with him on Facebook.

While we have had a few conversations about our childhood, our lives and what we are both doing now, there is this akwardness due to the fact that there is so much catching up to do, and the fact that he has some skeletons in his closet due to the issues with his family. On a superficial level, it has been fun to reconnect though.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 7:25 pm

About 6 or 7 years ago I reconnected with a number of friends from high school that I had not seen in 20 or more years. I was lucky in that most of my friends were, if not like me, they certainly leaned in similar directions. I wrote up a brief account of what I had been doing in the intervening years and sent it to old friends. The response has been quite fulfilling.

The one person I specifically wanted to talk to turned out to be far more different than I had anticipated and we have only communicated sporatically (more my fault than his, I'm afraid). Oddly enough, one woman who I had not thought to contact, heard that I had re-appeard and e-mailed me. We have renewed a friendship and now talk almost every week. It occurred to me that I liked these people now for the same reasons I liked them then.

Of course everyone will have changed, but you might discover they are a lot more like the friends you remember. I think that is what I found particularly striking in my situation; that in many ways, we were able to talk to one another as if little time had passed.

I hope you re-discover some great friendships,

Lars