Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

swansong
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2010, 12:31 am

The best way I found to improve my social skills is trail and error.

Instead of being a complete introvert and being afraid to say or do anything in fear of looking like an idiot (which has never fixed my social problems), I became social. I said and did whatever I wanted, and I didn't let my fear restrain me.

Do not get me wrong, even when I was social, I still tried to use the best of my judgment, and reserved any words or actions which I was sure would be wrong to say.

By being more social, yes I've made hundreds and hundreds of gaffes and errors. Some of them were even major such as the context of a few of my innocent comments being misunderstood as sadistic or anti-semitic.

I'm not worried about making mistakes because no matter what social setting it is (with a few exceptions), I will never have to see any of those people again if I do not want to.

But making those mistakes through trial and error has greatly improved my judgment and now I am social and make far less mistakes.

What are your thoughts on this?

swansong
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2010, 11:48 pm

anyone have any thoughts on this?

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2010, 12:19 am

I think it is a very good idea.

ASPowerations
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Mar 2010, 1:47 am

I do the same thing

Nostromos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2010, 1:54 am

I'm held back by extreme anxiety, but I agree.

Nostromos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2010, 1:57 am

If these encounters were face-to-face, did you ever say or do anything that you thought might have threatened your life, or made others want to physically harm you?

swansong
Raven
Raven

13 Mar 2010, 1:29 pm

Nostromos wrote:
If these encounters were face-to-face, did you ever say or do anything that you thought might have threatened your life, or made others want to physically harm you?

No, because even though I was social, I still used my best judgment to filter out as much bad decisions as possible. I guess the best way to avoid being physically harmed is to not say too many negative things.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 7:15 pm

+1.
It is the best way to learn anything you do not have an intuitive understanding of.