Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

u
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jun 2010, 8:21 pm

Yes and no.

Some people, when speaking to me, suddenly become more formal and less friendly in their speech. I don't know if it's because they're intimidated or if I'm unapproachable or whatever.

On the other hand, some are incredibly patronizing and treat me like a little kid. My great aunt does this, and I don't know if it's because she thinks I'm some kind of idiot or if she is just out of touch with reality. Some people at school do it, too.

I wish there were more people who would treat me like a normal person.

TheWrithing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 May 2013, 6:11 pm

I get the feeling that people judge my intelligence by the measure of my mental flaws and thus dismiss any of my opinions, theories and intelligence as rubbish. It doesn't seem to matter that I know that quite often I am intelligent, have a valid point or opinion because from what I gather they think I'm an idiot and see this above whatever sense I'm making.

I've nearly convinced myself that to them it must be the equivalent to being spit in the face in having a person with mental disabilities actually be right about anything. Surely this defies their logic in assuming that all mental deficiencies equate the holder of these being a babbling brain dead vegetable and they choose to deny them at all costs. Why else am I almost always wrong no matter what obvious knowledge I offer up?

linuques
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 May 2013, 8:41 am

When I get too serious about a subject, people start taking me less serious. Maybe because I'm being inflexible or some black and white thinking.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2013, 9:04 am

I would say most take me seriously, I had a friend recently comment on how people were more willing to do so in the last few years compared to when I was younger. But a few people still don't really.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 10:04 pm

You know, sometimes I don't think they do, but I have no idea.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 9:18 am

Either people online or IRL don't take me seriously, or they take me too seriously....

Forkliftoperator
Raven
Raven

26 May 2013, 1:34 am

I am pretty well respected at work. I am THE shipper receiver at my branch. I am the only one there who knows how to use the online shipping sites for UPS, DhL, FedEx, etc as well as how to do customs paperwork and TDG ( transportation of Dangerous Goods) shipping documents. If I go on holidays, they leave all of that stuff on my desk because they don't know how to do it themselves.

jlsvc92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2013, 6:36 am

No, but I have to admit it's very logic, I'm kidding all the time and the few times I'm serious people find me funny. I can't avoid doing funny/absurd, if I have a chance to wear a weird hat, I need to wear it xD.

The only exception is computer related stuff where I'm taken very seriously and I'm known for being someone who can be trusted in everything I say.

TaoDreams
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2013, 7:06 am

Nope. I sent a bunch of messages which were just one long message broken up into text messages. What I couldn't verbalize well in text I went to email, broke those up into paragraphs to help her ead them better. My friend immediately ignored me, told me I was harassing her, and that she did not want to talk to me about the problem she wanted to talk to my grandmother about it (but she's never even done me THAT much courtesy!). I.E. I was too simple and stupid to possibly UNDERSTAND that she was feeling uncomfortable, she wouldn't even describe to me what I did or how I could best communicate with her the next time I felt the way I felt or we needed to talk. NOPE. So she shut me out. Therefore I am of the opinion that some people who know me well think I am too 'simple' to understand a single thing they do, and thus they cannot speak directly to me. It's left me feeling bitter with an arrow in my heart that is very slow and painful to heal. Last night for instance was having severe emotional chest pains, and I thought this is just too much.

deathsign
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 May 2013, 11:02 am

Yeah, this is a big problem with me. Many people, especially my schoolmates, doesn't take me seriously due to my bad reputation in school as a 'weird' kid due to my AS. This is exemplified b/c of my weak communications skills, again due to my AS. Whenever I talk about things, even though I understand perfectly about what I'm talking about, people don't take me seriously. Sometimes even when I tell them something they just take it for granted (ok...), then get super excited when their friend tells them THE SAME THINK, usually with less detail and explanation than I did even. Sometimes they go ask to others the same question that they ask to me, and if the answers are different his answer would always be believed more (eventhough I usually know more than they do about it) just b/c they trust them more than me. This is why I rarely answer or tell things to people who aren't close friends to me these days.

WORST PROBLEM: HAVING AS