Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Soledad
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2010, 10:21 am

I know therapy helps with emotions. But does it really help when it comes to dealing with people. I'm not talking about dealing with your emotions, because I know it helps there. But does it help when it comes to picking up mixed social signals , or help with making facial expressions, and so forth.

I have been to so many shrinks and none of them help. I'm going to be starting a new one since I've been on Lexapro and I don't really know if this Lexapro stuff is helping with my problems either, because I still have the same problems when I wake up every morning.

Some things that NTs tell me sound ridiculous. My psychiatrist who prescribes me lexapro says that I dont act like a normal 18 year old male, so that may turn off girls. And since girls are less socially forgiving than men, I need to learn how to act more normal and my therapist will help with that.
My mom tells me i dont make facial expressions and that can be something my therapist will help with.

idk, to me this sounds like a whole set up to get me to act like so called normal people. I dont know. i dont even know if the Lexapro helps

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 10:24 am

I have never had any good experience with the "mental health" profession. I would recommend that you stay as far away as possible from these people. The only exception that I can find as to what I say is if the mental health professional is familiar with autism AND has family member or close friend who is autistic.

Soledad
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2010, 10:26 am

This new guy is familiar with autism. I hope he can help. I see him tomorrow. I can tell him things and he wont feel uncomfortable, unlike the "school" counselor that I mentioned in the other post

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 10:33 am

Soledad wrote:
This new guy is familiar with autism. I hope he can help. I see him tomorrow. I can tell him things and he wont feel uncomfortable, unlike the "school" counselor that I mentioned in the other post

Let's just hope that he is experienced with autism not only as a professional but also on a personal level.

Soledad
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2010, 10:36 am

Hey, what do you think of Lexapro and other medicines like that to help asperger's?

Soledad
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2010, 10:40 am

Hey, what do you think of Lexapro and other medicines like that to help asperger's?

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 10:54 am

Soledad wrote:

If it helps, great. However, I don't believe in drug or medication except for temporary fixes.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:52 pm

There is currently no medication accepted by the Mental Health community at large as effective for treating Asperger Syndrome, or any form of Autism for that matter.

As AS is neurological in origin, Behavioral Therapy can only alter external manifestations, and that only temporarily. It can't change who you are, or what your natural behaviors and reactions are. I don't believe a therapist can teach you anything you won't learn just by going through life and dealing with people in the real world. But they can probably make you feel pretty bad about yourself by telling you that everything you do is wrong.

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2010, 2:44 pm

I never had any good luck with them. They never really understand what your problem is. More then once I was labed as a "psychopath" because of how I acted. when my dog died I was sad but I understood what happened and he was old anyways. But because I did not cry or ask "where did his soul go?" they thought I did not care. I was even asked
"why dont you look upset about him dying?" I answerd "he was old and in pain. I am sad he is gone b ut I know he is in a better place. why should I cry and act like a baby? dont adults tell us to grow up and be strong about this stuff?" yeah...I was on so many drugs after I could not see stright. I was 10 at the time. I have seen 5 others and they all were jus as bad.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 3:06 pm

Most of them ("mental health professionals") also like to take what you say and twist your words to fit their views of you. I just don't trust them.

Soledad
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2010, 3:41 pm

My school counsleor takes Lexapro and my old friend or should I say ex-friend's girlfriend takes Lexapro. My ex-friend says that when his gf doesnt take her Lexapro she is crazy..she has bipolar. My school counselor said she used to get up in the morning and cry for no reason at all.

I dont have those problems. My problems come from actual things that happen to me, such as bullying, people ignoring me, and not being understood. I don't feel depressed for no reason. I was diagnosed with aspergers at age 11. I'm 18 now and I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression due to aspergers. But I dont think I have those things. Of course I have anxiety, but depression, i dont think so.

My problems that I have are nothing are far worse than the people with depression. My problems come from external forces and how I deal with them. Their problems are internally. I still feel the same since I;ve been taking the Lexapro. My counselor one asked "have you been taking your medication" when I was having a bad week and I replied "yes". That shows that this medication really doesnt do anything.

It's like trying to make a foreigner from the United States go to Japan and act more like them, but he's nothing like them , so they give him medication and say he's depressed. My ex-friend once said "There's nothing wrong with you dude, you're just in a society of people who don't understand how you are, you're not really depressed, its just that you have to put up with BS". and that was an NT talking.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 3:59 pm

This is one of the things I'm talking about. "Mental health professionals" like to try to blame it on us when it is not our fault.. I would like to see them denied opportunity, bullied and teased day in and day out and see how long they go without becoming depressed, angry, or anxious. I listened to my (ASD) nephew and taught him from a young age on how to take care of the external problems. Needless to say HE was the one that got into trouble for sticking up for himself, but after a few times, people quit messing with him. My nephew is now happily married and has a daughter.

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2010, 7:08 pm

Most mental health professionals just want to get the money out of you and put you on medicines, and there aren't any approved yet specifically for Autism anyhow. (When I think of mental health professional, I think of the grouchy therapist on Two and a Half Men). I go to therapy with a social worker, it's a lot cheaper and she isn't very judgmental at all... just find one who's a little older and knows what she's talking about and it'll be helpful.