Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:58 am

That's the sad pattern of my life. I make friends, then 3 or so years down the line we begin to drift apart, then hardly see eachother. I only actually have one friend that I've kept for a long time now. The others seem transient. Is that just life?

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 8:27 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
That's the sad pattern of my life. I make friends, then 3 or so years down the line we begin to drift apart, then hardly see eachother. I only actually have one friend that I've kept for a long time now. The others seem transient. Is that just life?

Drifting apart happens sometimes and is very common when other friends marry. The new wife usually demands 100% of a guy's time so friendships with other people are difficult.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 9:16 am

That's been the pattern of my life too. It's finally got to a point where I don't want to even try to make friends again. I'm currently on "friendly terms" with a couple of people from the local choir, music group, but I don't see it ever becoming any closer than just a weekly greeting at the meeting.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 9:50 am

I hope it's not always going to be this way, but deep down I know it will be.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 10:41 am

Yep, all good things have to come to an end. That's why I love material things, at least when they have problems I don't have to say "f*** you, you lied to/betrayed me" just gotta spend a little money and good as new.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 11:55 am

Some are. My pattern seems to be find friend, tire of friend, or friend tire of me, then move on. I guess that's the way of things. Nothing is permanent. Don't worry about the duration of the friendship, focus on enjoying it to it's maximum while it is in effect.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 11:57 am

Pistonhead wrote:
Yep, all good things have to come to an end. That's why I love material things, at least when they have problems I don't have to say "f*** you, you lied to/betrayed me" just gotta spend a little money and good as new.

Retail therapy? I wish material things gave me happiness.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 12:06 pm

Eh being a material person is and isn't all it's cracked up to be. Nothing is ever good enough for me.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 12:08 pm

People tell me that friendships take work, from both sides.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 12:31 pm

KaiG wrote:

People tell me the sky is blue.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 12:59 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:

They're lying. Everybody knows the sky is cyan.

NinjaHermit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jul 2010, 1:17 pm

There are a few friends I have which even though we only meet once or twice a year it's almost as if we'd never been apart.

On the whole I think casual friendships are very temporary things whilst it is convenient for both people to be friends, but there is the occaisional person where it becomes more than just that and where if both people make the effort then friendship can be continued on for years, even if you rarely get to see each other.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 1:29 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
KaiG wrote:

Sure, it's blue. But is my "blue" the same as your "blue"? It's all neurochemistry, anyway.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 3:35 pm

If a friendship is work, its not friendship - its a business arrangement, like marriage. That's why romantics who marry for love alone, end up alone. They don't fully understand the nature of the relationship has to involve more than just smooching and spooning.

All things are transient, including friendships, because people change and evolve over time, rarely in exactly the same directions. Accept the gifts a friendship offers you while you have it and be content to move on when your paths take separate forks. You can continue to be on good terms with a person and value them, long after you've ceased to hang out and run around with them all the time, but they aren't pets you can collar and keep.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 5:21 am

Willard wrote:
If a friendship is work, its not friendship - its a business arrangement, like marriage. That's why romantics who marry for love alone, end up alone. They don't fully understand the nature of the relationship has to involve more than just smooching and spooning.

All things are transient, including friendships, because people change and evolve over time, rarely in exactly the same directions. Accept the gifts a friendship offers you while you have it and be content to move on when your paths take separate forks. You can continue to be on good terms with a person and value them, long after you've ceased to hang out and run around with them all the time, but they aren't pets you can collar and keep.

Willard, I love your thinking. For real.

As for the collar thing, I disagree. In a s/m relationship... heh.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 5:26 am

actually everything is temporary.
3 years isn't a great number, but it's better than 0 years.
hopefully someday soon you'll break the pattern though and make it as far as 6 years, or even 18 :)