Need advice about making friends in a large university...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

EterPhoe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2010, 11:22 pm

So I'm going from my tiny community college to a large university in January. I'm kind of stressing about how to make and keep friends there because nobody I know well is going to be there. I'll basically be a black slate socially, and I probably won't have a roommate for at least one semester. >_< I really want to cultivate a large social circle.

Any advice will be hugely appreciated. <3

Thomas246
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2010, 11:35 pm

Just find people with a common interest and the rest will be easy.

EterPhoe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2010, 11:48 pm

Yeah, I know this university has a huge number of organizations based around pretty much every recreational activity you can imagine, and a "club fest" where they are all on display. I just am wondering how to approach these people about joining without making myself look like a fool. >_<

arecibo_
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Aug 2010, 7:14 pm

The club fest sounds like a perfect way of striking up conversations with people. Just get talking with people about the club's subject and take it from there. You won't be likely to look like a fool, conversations about the clubs are what people are going to expect. :D

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 7:44 pm

you wont look like a fool, at those things theyre usually the ones approaching you, trying to 'sell' their club and get people to join up. you'll probably have to do very little

TheMatador
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2010, 7:32 pm

Yeah just get out and about, ether way or even failing that your bound to make at least a few friends in no time.