Page 4 of 14 [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next

anonOS
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2010, 9:09 pm

Lots of people ask me this, its almost funny that its the only thing that they ever ask me.

I don't talk because I find normal conversation boring, or I don't know what to say. And I don't like talking about myself because I am not proud of anything I have done with my life lately.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 4:54 am

Not a bad 'blog. I've read some of your other articles, and I can relate to some of your experiences easily. You're a good writer.

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2010, 3:07 pm

Avarice wrote:
Not a bad 'blog. I've read some of your other articles, and I can relate to some of your experiences easily. You're a good writer.

I went and looked at the profiles to check and see if you were talking about one of the other posters who posted between you and I; I didn't want to be presumptuous or come off as egotistical. So if you were referring to me, then THANKS.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 2:47 am

Guitar_Girl wrote:
"Why are you so quiet?"
"Because I don't like you"

I've said that before.

ruin
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2010, 3:14 am

I live under this misguided notion that silence is strength and build walls all around me to keep people out.

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Sep 2010, 2:50 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Guitar_Girl wrote:
"Why are you so quiet?"
"Because I don't like you"

I've said that before.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I LIKE that one!! !!

necroluciferia
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Sep 2010, 9:22 am

I hate that question/observation. When I moved into my house 3 years ago, my next door neighbour said "You're very quiet" and it made me really angry. I kept wishing I had said "You're very old" to see how she likes such a stupid observation about her pointing out for no good reason.

I was really shocked the other day when I met a friends girlfriend at a party and she said "I was told you were really shy and didn't like talking to people but you don't come across that way at all" :)

myusername
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Sep 2010, 9:43 am

hi
lol, i got asked this same question all the time. and i feel embarrased sometimes shrug :lol: how do i answer that? i never am sure what to say. or, 'you should talk more' annoys me too. -_-

betamaxx
Raven
Raven

21 Sep 2010, 6:25 am

mainly because i dont like most of the people around me is what i say

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 10:16 pm

I always get this and always answer with "Because I have nothing to say" or go into a 20 minute long lecture on heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

PFFFFT! They weren't expecting "nice weather today?" surely.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 4:08 pm

Surreal wrote:
I just got this again. This time the girl said, "Everybody else [office] is so live, but you never say anything."

Me: "Nothing personal...it's just who I am take me or leave me." :?

Another co-worker standing nearby says, "Boy...if this was a personality contest, I'd win by a landslide." I told him that some have said I have the personality of a Pet Rock. :lol:

I hate when someone says that. Having inane conversations is not indicative of a great personality, nor is being quiet indicative of a bad personality or lack thereof.

thehandmedown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2010, 11:17 pm

What is the point in asking this anyways? People ask me this plenty and then assume Im shy. I am not shy, if I dont have anything worth saying then I wont talk why must we blab about nonsense.

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2010, 11:23 am

Lecks wrote:
Surreal wrote:
I just got this again. This time the girl said, "Everybody else [office] is so live, but you never say anything."

Me: "Nothing personal...it's just who I am take me or leave me." :?

Another co-worker standing nearby says, "Boy...if this was a personality contest, I'd win by a landslide." I told him that some have said I have the personality of a Pet Rock. :lol:

I hate when someone says that. Having inane conversations is not indicative of a great personality, nor is being quiet indicative of a bad personality or lack thereof.

NO...it is NOT! But when you work with people who thrive on gossip and nonsense and they take a lack of conversation as an offense...well, you know how THAT is :roll:

Add to that the fact that I sometimes literally draw a blank in conversation and don't know what to say or I don't know if I'm asking the wrong thing or not. So I'm standing there like :cyclops: not knowing what to say. One time I was at a Tuesday night meeting and there was a guy who knew me from high school. I didn't know him from a can of paint until I saw him there. He was telling me that someone who went to our alma mater committed suicide (HORRIBLE). I really didn't know what to say, but didn't want to appear rude. He sounded as if he was still close to the guy after all those years - I asked if there were any signs (note, odd behavior, verbal statements). He was like :roll: "I don't know." I explained why I asked and that I didn't know how close he was to the guy.

We are still friendly with each other, though, on speaking terms. But I just don't know where to go in conversation - especially if I'm not that familiar with the person...even if I want to be friends.

T_Hinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2010, 3:01 pm

Yes! It really annoys me too.
I believe that most people talk just to hear themselves talk.
I wonder if they are afraid of the silence in their heads and are just whistling in the dark.
Maybe they're afraid that if they stop making racket they might LEARN something.
When we were kids, I used to tell my little sister that if she didn't stop talking, when she got old she would run out of words and be a mute old lady. (She's still blathering)

Why am I so quiet? Maybe I hate you.
Maybe I have something to say but you wouldn't want to hear it anyway.
Maybe if I tried to speak I would be constantly be interrupted and I know it.
Maybe the only response to your question is to point out that you are an idiot.
Maybe the only answer I can think of is (after long thought) is inappropriate and not PC or superficial enough (Oops, time's up, you've wandered off).
Maybe I would make a fool of myself pointing out the elephant in the room. (I'll never understand why they keep putting elephants in rooms if they don't want them remarked about.)
Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and prove it.

What annoys me even more is people trying to judge my mood by my face. I might just be posing a question to mysellf like trying to figure out how to lay the mosaic of my floor tile and I have to endure comments like "Hey! Smile, It's not like your dog just died!" I want to shout at them : "Only idiots go around grinning for no reason!"

I think McDonalds Hiring Campaign is discriminatory: "Now hiring Smiling Happy Faces"

thehandmedown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2010, 9:59 pm

T_Hinker wrote:
Yes! It really annoys me too.
I believe that most people talk just to hear themselves talk.
I wonder if they are afraid of the silence in their heads and are just whistling in the dark.
Maybe they're afraid that if they stop making racket they might LEARN something.
When we were kids, I used to tell my little sister that if she didn't stop talking, when she got old she would run out of words and be a mute old lady. (She's still blathering)

Why am I so quiet? Maybe I hate you.
Maybe I have something to say but you wouldn't want to hear it anyway.
Maybe if I tried to speak I would be constantly be interrupted and I know it.
Maybe the only response to your question is to point out that you are an idiot.
Maybe the only answer I can think of is (after long thought) is inappropriate and not PC or superficial enough (Oops, time's up, you've wandered off).
Maybe I would make a fool of myself pointing out the elephant in the room. (I'll never understand why they keep putting elephants in rooms if they don't want them remarked about.)
Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and prove it.

What annoys me even more is people trying to judge my mood by my face. I might just be posing a question to mysellf like trying to figure out how to lay the mosaic of my floor tile and I have to endure comments like "Hey! Smile, It's not like your dog just died!" I want to shout at them : "Only idiots go around grinning for no reason!"

I think McDonalds Hiring Campaign is discriminatory: "Now hiring Smiling Happy Faces"

perfectly put, I agree with it all

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 12:26 am

Throughout my life I've been asked this question. Since I've only discovered about AS 2 years ago (and I've only accepted the very strong possibility of being an aspie since yesterday), my answer until now was simply "I don't know". For obvious reasons, it will still be my default answer to every idiot who asks this stupid question from now on. It is a really annoying question... :evil: