Page 1 of 14 [ 222 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

d057
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 7:15 pm

Have you ever been asked questions along the lines of "Why Are You So Quiet?" This is a blog I posted about why it always has and always will irritate me when people ask me that question.

http://dwarren57.wordpress.com/2010/08/ ... -so-quiet/

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 7:27 pm

yess. some guy told a new teacher I was the quiet one when she was asking who names on the register were. she just looked at me dead seriously and said 'why are you quiet?' wtf. wtf. wtf.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 8:34 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
yess. some guy told a new teacher I was the quiet one when she was asking who names on the register were. she just looked at me dead seriously and said 'why are you quiet?' wtf. wtf. wtf.

I am glad people actually agree with me. It truly is an irritating question for people to ask, and people can be extremely judgmental if you tell them the real reason why (I have Asperger's Syndrome).

MU
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Aug 2010, 8:49 pm

Certainly I have been asked this question, a good 50 times in my life. I have never had a good reason why, or at least one that the person asking could really think or care about. The person asking usually makes fun of me later or never wants anything to do with me again.

I've spent some time on your blog reading things, and I want to assure you that I have been through a lot of the same stuff in school. Especially the story about the girl who acted like she loved you and wanted to be your friend, but it led to tough times. I remember someone I used to know who acted exactly the same towards me, but it was really their source of a good laugh.

Anyway, keep up your blog, it's great to know I'm not alone in AS difficulty.

Sean_91
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2010, 9:03 pm

It always irritates me when I get asked "Why are you so quiet?" That has happened on more than one occasion.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 9:20 pm

Yeah, people have asked me that or they've said things like "you're so soft spoken" when they seemed to miss that it was just that I was uninterested in them. I've no problem being loud if I need to be.

I think people ask that sort of thing because it makes them feel insecure or something.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 10:06 pm

I used to get asked this quite frequently. The answer was always that I just didn't have anything to say.

anon77
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2010, 11:12 pm

all the time

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 11:35 pm

I get asked that question, from time to time. The thing that irritates me the most, is when I'm with a bunch of women. They will be talking about hair, guys and makeup, and I don't really have anything, to say. One of the women will ask me, why I'm so quiet. I also get told, that I'm soft spoken, a lot of the time.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:53 am

I get asked that a lot. It's slightly annoying, but not a huge problem for me. My usual answer is "I just am."

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:54 am

Yeah, I get people commenting on my quietness all the time, as if they're pointing it out as a flaw of some sort. Or it's as if they're saying they're disappointed in me when they try and fail to engage me in conversation.

Why can't they go a single minute without opening their friggin' trap? :?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:58 am

Next time someone asks me, I'mma say, "I dunno, why do you have [whatever] colour hair?"

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 6:27 am

People ask me that all the time. Then I feel them (my peers) staring at me and they are making fun of me "that quiet girl". They don't even know my name! Really, I'm shy around people my age, but I should say this:

"Why are you so quiet?"
"Because I don't like you"

OR

blue_bean wrote:
Why can't they go a single minute without opening their friggin' trap? :?

This

Gaya
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2010, 7:49 am

This question rritates the hell out of me. Especially when people act like they're doing me a favor by telling me I'm quiet and that I should "talk more." Um, if I could I would. But in the past when I did people hated what I had to say, so I only speak when I know what I have to say will be valued.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 8:12 am

it kind of iritates me but sometimes people do it because they care about you and hope your ok. other times yeh it is annoying.

cleo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2010, 12:53 pm

Well, for what it's worth, it won't go away. People STILL say that to me. :D

And many of you have the same reason I do, when you did try talking it didn't work.

Of course, with me if I do talk I can easily forget and monopolize the conversation. So it's better for everyone if I don't say anything. Yeah, those are my two choices. Oh well! Whatever.

Given the funny looks when I have run-off-at-the-mouth, I'd much rather be The Quiet One.

It's the Better Choice.
The Aspie Choice.
:)