Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Clyde
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2010, 5:12 pm

I can never seem to keep a friendship or a love relationship alive. I always seem to kill it, or to much distance destroys it. I burn a lot of bridges and I destroy a lot of friendships.
I am begin to wonders sometimes if I shouldn't try any more.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Sep 2010, 12:50 am

I burned a bridge with an NT friend that I kind of liked yesterday. I'm not sure how I did that but I've burned so many bridges in my life I should be in the arson hall of fame :twisted: I burned a bridge almost every single time I tried coming on to a girl. The one time I was in a relationship; I thoroughly torched it. I burned lots of friendships to over the years but I never had many friends anyways & we weren't super close so that doesn't worry me so much. I should avoid romantic relationships because I will set the bridge on fire by just going near it

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 2:32 am

I don't even have any bridges to burn.

tomhead
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2010, 3:47 am

I've burned more bridges than I probably should have. It seems to be a common, generally unspoken reality of life with Asperger's and other autism-spectrum conditions.

That said, some people who leave you for good are doing you a favor. I lost my then-best friend in May simply because I stood up for myself and refused to let said friend ridicule me. Now I have better friends and a lot more self-respect.

Cheers,

TH

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 11:26 am

there was a time in my 20s when the art-social scene i was in caused me to be around people a lot, & it was easy to have friends; i didn't have to work at it.

now i'm settled down, & have lost touch with many of them. "friending" them in facebook has put me in touch again with some, but unfortunately i find i don't have much to say if i'm not seeing them regularly. i don't know what their lives are like...

my wife still has her friends from high school. i envy her her ability to connect, but i don't feel the lack myself. i just feel a little guilty for having no reason to continue.

m.

reasoning." --William Blake

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 3:35 pm

'raises hand'
I'm a bridge burner too. Somehow I never learned how to forgive and forget. Probably because there wasn't a how-to manual at hand.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 4:08 pm

I tend to burn them before they can even be formed. Seems to save me a lot of trouble.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 11:55 am

tomhead wrote:
I've burned more bridges than I probably should have. It seems to be a common, generally unspoken reality of life with Asperger's and other autism-spectrum conditions.

That said, some people who leave you for good are doing you a favor. I lost my then-best friend in May simply because I stood up for myself and refused to let said friend ridicule me. Now I have better friends and a lot more self-respect.

Cheers,

TH

Sounds a little like my story. I've burned bridges because I didn't know how to stand up for myself at the time, so to retaliate I gave them the silent treatment for months, which turned into years when I realized I was better off without them in my life. Like you, I had a buddy that liked to put me down "in jest" as he put it. I put him down a little and it ugly. When I called him on his hypocrisy, that was the last time we spoke. Good riddance to the ***hole. :)

Talis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2010, 11:13 pm

I disappear before the fire starts but most people stubbornly won't try to cross it again. I'm usually okay with that. I guess what I mean is I don't cut my bridges off completely but it's pretty close to the same effect of not having a bridge at all when the person is upset with me for vanishing.

Like my grandmother is a bitter old drunk. I love her but I can't be around her at all (Haven't seen or talked to her in over a year). Better to have good memories of her I think that to destroy what's left by trying to be around her. If she stopped being so drunk and bitter I'd gladly speak with her again.

I also have a recent previous friend of mine who I disappeared from. I didn't know I was an aspie at the time and didn't know how to defend myself against certain accusations. We were good friends for maybe 4 years... I felt we were like brothers but I couldn't stand being falsely accused so I gave up. Honestly I'd still like to be friends with him but this has happened like two other times so I think he'd be fairly reluctant to trying to be friends again. Even if he wanted to be friends again I don't think I'd ever feel as close anymore :(

Aside from those two vacant bridges I've vacated them all with everybody cept my Mom, Dad, therapist and a current friend of mine. I hope those bridges stay :)

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2010, 11:18 pm

I have 0 friends.

daveybaby
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Sep 2010, 4:45 pm

kiwigoddess wrote:
In my experience, its more important to have quality relationships (for however long they last) then It is to worry about keeping them. Ive had some of the best experience with some of the greatest people I have ever met. Some times the encounter only lasts for a matter of hours, sometimes a few years. But its the connection that matters. not the length or amount.
(IMHO)

I love what you said there.

I've had a couple real friends, I definitely had them in High School, but that was a long time ago. I've been friends with one dude about 10 years or so.

But, relationships come and go, and I'm in an irritatingly horrid slump right. I also started good relationships post- High School that could've blossomed into something great, but then I screwed myself over. However, burned bridges are in the past, I have to get over them and move on.

As to Kiwigoddesses words of wisdom, my only problem with having temporary relationships is that I spend too much time alone with my thoughts, and they're usually not all that pleasant.

trekster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Sep 2010, 6:59 pm

i've fallen out with a few friends and avoided them for sometime. New Nt friends tend to feel and behave threatened by me i guess because they dont understand Aspergers and then unknowingly do something that upsets me.

i've got a few online friends and some RL friends. i dont really know what to expect in a friendship. Any ideas on what you can expect from a 'really good mate'?

Life isnt always logical Mr Spock

If you are from the UK then try http://aspievilla.byethost15.com/PHPBB2/index.php i moderate on that site a

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 9:58 pm

I never understood that expression so I cannot say.

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Sep 2010, 10:24 pm

Actually, I can only think of a few bridges that I have totally burned. It seems more like I have "damaged" bridges with people. The people do not necessary dislike me, but for some reason, find a way to tune me out.

trekster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Sep 2010, 7:41 am

PunkyKat wrote:
I never understood that expression so I cannot say.

"A really good mate" is a friend that you like to hang out with and share interests.
Im not sure how to judge whether hanging out with certain mates is worth it?

Life isnt always logical Mr Spock

If you are from the UK then try http://aspievilla.byethost15.com/PHPBB2/index.php i moderate on that site a

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2010, 4:25 pm

This is a serious problem for me. If I could, I would ignore just about everybody until they disappeared. If someone drifts away from me, I find it almost impossible to reconnect, and for reasons unclear to me, I avoid them.

Spinning plates is a perfect metaphor for life, to me. If I let my relationship with a person stop spinning and fall to the ground, I never pick it back and spin it again. Its all too overwhelming.