Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 12:51 pm

I recently threw a Halloween Party and I had invited one guy who I now consider a casual friend. He told me that he could not make it due to having mass that night but he could come visit earlier during the day. However, I never heard from him all week until the night before my gathering when he called me and wished me a happy belated birthday and a Happy Halloween. He was at another friend's party and when he had told me this and also mentioned once again that he could not come over because he was busy all day and that he was doing a bunch of things with his family and then having mass. I then confirmed with him about hanging out with me during the afternoon and he replied by saying, "Did I say that? I didn't mark it in my calendar, I must have forgot. I can't because I am busy." I also really feel that he has been saying things that he doesn't mean and then letting me down. Finally, I feel like he has been disconnected from me friendwise.

Does it sound like he is uninterested in hanging out?

kitana10
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Nov 2010, 12:58 pm

Miyah wrote:
I recently threw a Halloween Party and I had invited one guy who I now consider a casual friend. He told me that he could not make it due to having mass that night but he could come visit earlier during the day. However, I never heard from him all week until the night before my gathering when he called me and wished me a happy belated birthday and a Happy Halloween. He was at another friend's party and when he had told me this and also mentioned once again that he could not come over because he was busy all day and that he was doing a bunch of things with his family and then having mass. I then confirmed with him about hanging out with me during the afternoon and he replied by saying, "Did I say that? I didn't mark it in my calendar, I must have forgot. I can't because I am busy." I also really feel that he has been saying things that he doesn't mean and then letting me down. Finally, I feel like he has been disconnected from me friendwise.

Yes! It definitely sounds like he is uninterested. Nt's are often notorious for not being straightforward about things like this. Maybe they are afraid of hurting your feelings, not realizing that we take things literally, and are going to have even more hurt feelings in the long run. Maybe just back off on the invitations for now, and let him make the next move? If he doesn't initiate any social activities, maybe he has just moved on to other things.

Darkmysticdream
Raven
Raven

01 Nov 2010, 1:10 pm

It depends on the person and how well you know them. I have one long-term friend who I know to expect to not make meetings or be horribly late if she does make them because I know she is always over-scheduling herself. It is not that she isn't friendly towards me, its just a personality trait she has. However, for most NTs its a sign they don't want to be around you enough to make you a priority, meaning you aren't a friend but an associate that they have if they don't have something else to do.

Anyone who is a very close friend has been AS or spectrum because they know that I don't always keep up communications the same way but that it doesn't mean I'm ignoring them like all the NT friends I've had assume.

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 3:42 pm

Darkmysticdream wrote:
It depends on the person and how well you know them. I have one long-term friend who I know to expect to not make meetings or be horribly late if she does make them because I know she is always over-scheduling herself. It is not that she isn't friendly towards me, its just a personality trait she has. However, for most NTs its a sign they don't want to be around you enough to make you a priority, meaning you aren't a friend but an associate that they have if they don't have something else to do.

Anyone who is a very close friend has been AS or spectrum because they know that I don't always keep up communications the same way but that it doesn't mean I'm ignoring them like all the NT friends I've had assume.

No, he has Asperger's Syndrome but he's doing a good job of playing the role of a neurotypical since he hangs out with them. To be honest with you, some of his "Friends," seem to be phoney singles in a church group who really aren't interested in him at all. However, I sent him a nice message and said in very few words that I felt like he is acting as if he is better than everyone else and that I wished that he would have invited me to his friend's Halloween party. He replied back by telling me that he didn't mean to do it but it was just that he feels as it's an hour one way to get to my house by bus and train. He then went on to tell me that he feels like he has grown really close to his singles group. I understand that but I am feeling like he is leading me on about things and saying empty words and it hurts.

Last edited by Miyah on 01 Nov 2010, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darkmysticdream
Raven
Raven

01 Nov 2010, 3:47 pm

If he's AS then I'd think its just a new obsession for the time being. I have that fault if I make new friends I tend to ignore everyone else for a while until the newness of the new people dies down for me. It may seem like a lot of work to see you (one person) when this group appears to be giving tons of new "friends" all at the same time, whether or not they are really good friends.

I can't say for sure, but that might be part of the issue.

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 5:23 pm

Darkmysticdream wrote:
If he's AS then I'd think its just a new obsession for the time being. I have that fault if I make new friends I tend to ignore everyone else for a while until the newness of the new people dies down for me. It may seem like a lot of work to see you (one person) when this group appears to be giving tons of new "friends" all at the same time, whether or not they are really good friends.

I can't say for sure, but that might be part of the issue.

Thanks so much but the problem with this guy is that he seems to make comments to people that feel good at the time and then flake out with an, "I don't know," when the situations arrive. He's basically said to me that he has grown really close to his friends through the singles group who I consider plastic and superficial. It's almost like he's becoming one of them.

Darkmysticdream
Raven
Raven

01 Nov 2010, 5:36 pm

Well, your options are to write off this person and go find your own friends then or just wait around hoping that they end up figuring out that you are worth their time. I highly recommend the first since there is no telling when or if this person will get a clue about the situation.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 3:51 am

Miyah wrote:

I think the best way to handle this is to just stop inviting him places. If he really wants to socialize with you, he can make the arrangements, and if you still want to socialize with him, you can accept.

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 10:41 am

Don't take it personally, he's on the spectrum.

In your position I would firstly ask him if we are ok. Then I would ask him if he's ok. If it's yes to both...drop it and do other things. When he seeks you out again at least you'll know it's genuine and not under duress.

I like to come and go from friendships without pressure.

My closest friends understand this and don't expect me to behave in any other way except in a "me" kind of way. I don't put typical "friend" pressure on them either.

The rest are just friends in passing and I prefer it that way.

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 6:50 pm

He is on the spectrum but he is trying to play the role of an NT and therefore talks down to me all the time and it's just disgusting.

kitana10
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Nov 2010, 1:10 pm

Miyah wrote:
He is on the spectrum but he is trying to play the role of an NT and therefore talks down to me all the time and it's just disgusting.

He might have created a new "persona" and is having a hard time turning it off when he is around you. Solution? He will stop hanging around you.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 7:47 pm

If your friend is an Aspie, then you should be able to bluntly discuss this issue with him and tell him that his NT-style flakiness is pissing you off. Tell him that if he doesn't wanna hang around you, then he should just forthright tell you so, so it'll save time.

If he refuses to accommodate to your needs, then I say you should gradually drift apart from him. You don't need to be treated like crap by other people, whether they're Aspie or NT.