Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2010, 8:12 am

I wear sunglasses almost any time I am not at home. Recently, I had meeting with someone who I fear was displaying signs of being afraid of or somehow disgusted by me. I couldn't read her well. She may just have had a hard time understanding the my manner or organization of speech.

But in general, I haven't had too much trouble with people responding very noticeably to my sunglass wearing. But perhaps they just hide their considerations.

Could wearing sunglasses make people not just uncomfortable (i can understand that) but actually afraid or genuinely suspicious of me?

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 8:35 am

Yes, definately, even when its sunny if somebody talks to you whilst keeping thier sunglasses on, its bad manners, If you have them on when its not sunny, even worst.
Its like people who wear hoodies up whilst inside stores, you know they are up to no good and so are trying to hide thier appearance.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

08 Dec 2010, 10:31 am

Nambo wrote:
Its like people who wear hoodies up whilst inside stores, you know they are up to no good and so are trying to hide thier appearance.

I often wear my hood on when in stores, just a way to isolate myself within a crowd...

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 9:30 pm

yes, i think it makes people unconformable/suspicious because people can tell weather you are lying (see: where sunglasses while playing poker), and it just puts them on edge.

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2010, 10:50 pm

so as often and as soon as possible I should ask people if they mind it as the bright sunlight or room lighting hurts my eyes?

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 1:53 am

My mom says sunglasses make people uncomfortable because they can't see your eyes. That's why I like them. It's annoying when people can read me but I can't read them - or worse, when they're trying to read me and coming to false conclusions.

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 3:23 am

I'm a fan of Steampunk fashion, so I wear tinted goggles. I feel like only older adults get offended, though I always hang out with nerds/artists/outsiders who wouldn't have a problem with shades or my goggles.

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

09 Dec 2010, 9:02 am

Cicely wrote:
It's annoying when people can read me but I can't read them - or worse, when they're trying to read me and coming to false conclusions.

yeah, that too. One other reason I wear my sunglasses often is that I can't hold eye contact for more than a split second. my eyes are probably moving all over the place as I look at everything all over the vicinity. I know if I were talking to someone and there eyes were going all over the place like I think mine might do, I would be a bit weirded out. If people are able to see the way my eyes move, I fear them being just as uncomfortable as if they could not see them very well at all. If I wear them, it reduces my anxiety a bit and I can hold eye contact a little longer.

Jessi_in_wonderland
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2010, 9:10 pm

I'd be a little distrusting of a sunglass wearer, only because I myself feel that if I wear them, people can't tell how I really feel or if I'm lying or not. But maybe you feel "safe" wearing them, so don't stop.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 9:23 pm

I'm quite the opposite. I love my sunglasses, I think they make me look bad ass and like an international spy ready to take down bad guys. Why be suspicious of a hero?

Rok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2010, 4:40 pm

I always wear my sunglasses. They make me feel safe. I feel secure behind them, like a force field shielding me from the evils of the world.

Corydaman93
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2010, 9:08 pm

This is why I often refuse to wear sunglasses if my parents want me to wear them to a beach or some place like that. Yeah, usually I actually feel a tad more intimidated when talking to somebody with sunglasses on, because I can't even see their eyes.

http://www.myviewonautismessay.webs.com

Jaz1787
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2010, 12:26 am

:oops: sunnies are my security blanket

but i also suffer form aura migraine, so they become quite essential

when i meet someone, i usually make the effort to take them off, meet their eyes when i say hi and shake their hand. then i put them back on.

it's useful having them on, people dont realise if you're not looking them in the eyes during a conversation

woodss82
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 12:24 pm

I rarely wear sunnies, however most of my friends do.

Its been a while since I wore a pair, mainly if its a really bright day.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 3:22 am

I have photosensitive lenses in my normal glasses that I wear for nearsightedness. They darken when exposed to sunlight. They actually work quite well at this altitude, the sunlight is stronger because there's less air to block its rays.

Also, during the winter I wear orange tinted ski goggles whenever it is snowing outside. Keeps it out of my eyes.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Sahmiam
Raven
Raven

27 Dec 2010, 1:14 am

I have never thought about sunglasses being a bad thing. I wear mine every time I go out, even if it's overcast or raining.