Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Snivy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Mar 2011, 9:02 am

I'm currently in a technical school, so that means the adults are merged in a classroom with high school students. I met this friend who I considered a genius at photoshop signatures, not to mention she's a gamer, she plays WoW, and she's seems really awesome to talk to. Since she was a WoW Player, I got her into league of legends and she wanted to play it. But unfortunately, she's a high school student, and I'm old enough to be drinking. I feel like I shouldn't be around her, because she's not my age. She's pretty awesome, but eventually if we ever become friends, I might have to deal with parents who don't approve of friendships with older people. I know my mother wouldn't approve of me hanging out with people who are too old for me, even though that person has no ill intent.

When it comes to making friends, I have that very bad habit of immediately consider anyone who's nice "a friend" when there's actually a big complicated process that you have to go through before becoming friends(read it in an Asperger's book), not to mention, I tend to commit to this friend, when there's a chance where she may not want me around.

What should I do? Should I see her again? Or should I avoid her due to the massive age gap. (I'd say she's like 16-17. and I'm in my 20s)

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 9:07 am

First off, I'd actually ask her how old she is and if she says she's underage, how her parents feel about her hanging around college-age adults. But if your uncomfortable hanging out with her for some reason it might be best to only actually see her when your when you are doing things pertaining to your tech program and otherwise keep in contact only via phone and internet until she turns 18. But age shouldn't limit friendships.

Last edited by Peko on 05 Mar 2011, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 9:50 am

When I was 16-17 most of my friends were at least 3 or 4 years older than me. Girls usually are more socially mature at that age than boys so it's no surprise they chose older friends. My parents were ok with that because they knew my friends and also my older brother used to hang out with us from time to time so he kinda "made sure I was respected" and etc.
So I think first of all you should ask her how she feels about all of this. You should also consider her parents' opinion and the legal system (it differs greatly depending on a country you're in). But I surely don't see you being friends with her as bad thing as long as your intentions are good :)

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 12:04 pm

I dont think that theres nothing wrong with being friends with younger people as long as you are just friends with them.

Mot of the friends friends Ive been making lately are older than me(by say 3 years at least), my parents are intrigued and ask why dont I make friends my age anymore but there isnt much they can do about it.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt255139.html

MinorAnnoyance
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2011, 6:35 pm

Looking at your profile I see you are a girl the the double standard works in your favor. People are less worried about a mid 20's woman corrupting their daughter. Unless of course you're a lesbian and her parents are religious fundamentalists.
The more likely problem with an age difference is that you wouldn't fit in with her friends and she wouldn't fit in with yours. That's just what I've heard, I don't know how or why friendships work or don't work.
One thing to consider is if her parents have a problem with you then let them un-friend you rather than doing it yourself.