I wonder how us Aspies would cope...

Agree: 4,6,13,16,18,19,20,22,39,41,45: 1 point
Disagree: 1,3,10,11,14,17,27,30,32,36,38,44,47,48,49: 1 point
Score: 26

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 8:58 am

Interesting, and while reading this I could think of plenty of examples where those rules apply to the classes I've been in at school and the friendship groups I've either been in or observed from the outside.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 12:43 am

Conformity is over-rated.

Those items are true for most people, but I'm not sure those mechanisms are even present in my brain.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 4:43 am

Interesting article. I have always had an extreme aversion to being part of a group. I think it's a weird pride thing I don't completely understand about myself. Maybe It's a rationalization because of past failures. I do feel comfortable with my kin though but it hasn't always been so.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 7:56 am

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
Those items are true for most people, but I'm not sure those mechanisms are even present in my brain.

Well, yeah. Exactly. We don't get the rules by osmosis, which is one reason why I posted.

Having the awareness that they are there is a huge step in progressing towards greater social integrativity. Was for me anyway.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 11:39 am

Aimless wrote:
Interesting article. I have always had an extreme aversion to being part of a group. I think it's a weird pride thing I don't completely understand about myself. Maybe It's a rationalization because of past failures. I do feel comfortable with my kin though but it hasn't always been so.

Exactly how I feel. It's totally possible for me to play the whole "peer pressure game" and I've gone through phases where I've tried it out, BUT trying to fit in is so unnatural for me and I just felt so artificial. When NTs behave in conformation, it makes them happy, but for me that's not true. I want to be accepted, but I don't want the compulsory conformity that's often the price. It's a conundrum that alot of Aspies can recognize. The best thing is to compromise. I'm on the cycling team at my school and I'm a music teacher to kids, so I can find a social group based on my special interest and that allays the feeling of alienation. Then there I times when I want nothing to do with conformity or the outside world in general, and I sit in my room and play with my Rubik's cubes. They're "stimmy" toys for me. Sometimes I don't even solve them, I just perform the same algorithm repeatedly or I make patterns.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 12:40 pm

Interesting. I have no problem with this. It seems accurate and I don't have trouble interacting in a group within my interests that adheres to such governing. It's when it's beyond my interests that it becomes very difficult for me.