Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 11:39 pm

Very detailed and interesting (albeit sad) video breaking down telltale signals of narcissism.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3tZ61WyJwUk

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 5:04 am

I usually miss these clues because I'm so distracted by how awesome these people are :P

Yeah, it's pretty obvious the look in his eyes is very smug. His wife also looks like she's being held hostage in that video. Poor woman :cry:

Watching him, it's like he's constantly trying to convince himself of what he's saying, hoping you'll go along with it. They are amusing caricatures of people. From a distance :)

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2022, 6:46 pm

Wish i could of seen signs like this sooner, but lesson learned. It would have saved me a lot of drama a few months back with a former friend

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 10:48 am

Hmmm, I think this may be over-analyzed.

In my opinion, the main sign of narcissism is simply a person being even more obsessed with social status than most people are. Even more so than most people, narcissists seem to feel that the main purpose purpose of communication is either to butter someone up or to tear someone down, rather than to share useful info.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 7:23 am

I am going to refer you to a YouTube channel called “Surviving Narcissism.”

As for traits

1. They spend a lot of time talking about themselves.
A. They are either very overly self confident or they are very humble
2. They seem like they want to be friends and get to know you

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 1:47 pm

Some other traits to look for:

Oftentimes, they will go through a love bombing stage, in which they are very nice and kind to you by building you up. All the while, gaining your trust while slowly breaking down your boundaries. At the same time, they begin to weave in

1. Putdowns
2. Control
3. Gaslighting and especially when you try to set boundaries

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 3:31 am

There's only one real rule, simply because there's multiple types that present in different ways and many of the things that are mentioned can show up in other conditions or none at all, but the main thing will still be there:

They don't give to you in the same way you'll give to them. Once you stop giving, they'll discard you or punish you in a way so you can return to what you were doing. It's all about them, as they need their self-esteem boosted because inside they feel like there's nothing there.

It's actually sad for both parties, and I have empathy for narcissists (I don't for psychopaths though).