Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 8:54 pm

Am I the only one who still has made up friends or are there others like me? I am just curious. I know how sometimes it can be hard for us to have friends and for me, I've made up friends, that I know aren't real but I consider real, to make up for my lack of social interaction.

Their names are Veronica and Joey. It sounds weird but I don't tell people about them. I mean I've gotten so used to them being around that I can't let them go, even if they aren't actually real. It's almost like i just feel safer that way, you know?

But I was just wondering if anyone else is like this too?

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 9:12 pm

Yes, but much more so as a kid. I haven't done that for a good 5+ years now.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 11:03 pm

Do you mean as in imaginary friends?

BlueMage
Toucan
Toucan

27 May 2011, 11:26 pm

"Imaginary friends" are real. Plenty of people have them, they go by different terms: spirit guides, angels, "god". They aren't there to "make up" for lack of physically incarnated friends. They are always there but most people just ignore or forget about them. There are all kinds of discarnate entities in the universe, I can't tell you who Joey and Veronica are. Maybe they are people you had a past life with, maybe they are aliens in another dimension.

links:
http://www.crystalinks.com/imaginaryfriends.html

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 11:29 pm

BlueMage wrote:
"Imaginary friends" are real. Plenty of people have them, they go by different terms: spirit guides, angels, "god". They aren't there to "make up" for lack of physically incarnated friends. They are always there but most people just ignore or forget about them. There are all kinds of discarnate entities in the universe, I can't tell you who Joey and Veronica are. Maybe they are people you had a past life with, maybe they are aliens in another dimension.

links:

That is perhaps the dumbest thing I've read today. Imaginary friends are not real. They are part of your imagination, and nothing more.

BlueMage
Toucan
Toucan

27 May 2011, 11:38 pm

SammichEater wrote:
BlueMage wrote:

links:

That is perhaps the dumbest thing I've read today. Imaginary friends are not real. They are part of your imagination, and nothing more.

How do you know that?

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 12:23 am

BlueMage wrote:

links:

That's what I've always thought. I mean I can always sense them being there. I mean to me they are still close to me and probably the only real life friends I have because at times, they help me through whatever brings me down. I am an empath too so it would make sense.

But of course, people never believe that... as you can see.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 12:43 am

I have had invisible friends for most of my life, including now. :) They are characters taken from my favorite movies and television shows, because I am not creative enough to come up with my own invisible friends. Currently I have about a dozen or so of them (I get lonely sometimes, so I like having a lot of them in my head). I have conversations with them by pretending to be them. It is like talking to myself mixed with acting.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 1:06 am

IdahoRose wrote:
I have had invisible friends for most of my life, including now. :) They are characters taken from my favorite movies and television shows, because I am not creative enough to come up with my own invisible friends. Currently I have about a dozen or so of them (I get lonely sometimes, so I like having a lot of them in my head). I have conversations with them by pretending to be them. It is like talking to myself mixed with acting.

I used to do that too! I still do... since sometimes I like to pretend I'm talking to my favorite anime characters. XD

Hands
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2011, 1:23 am

IdahoRose wrote:

I do this, I have one from almost every one of my favourite shows. Which one is my favourite depends on what I am currently obssessed with, right now my two favourites are Detective Jarek Wysocki from The Chicago Code and Detective Sammy Bryant from Southland. I always found this difficult to explain to anyone, I didn't think that anyone else would understand let alone that there were other people that did the same thing.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 2:40 am

Hands wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:

I do this, I have one from almost every one of my favourite shows. Which one is my favourite depends on what I am currently obssessed with, right now my two favourites are Detective Jarek Wysocki from The Chicago Code and Detective Sammy Bryant from Southland. I always found this difficult to explain to anyone, I didn't think that anyone else would understand let alone that there were other people that did the same thing.

In my mind, Haruhi Suzumiya is my best friend. :] I love that girl to death. She is so awesome. I love to make funny conversations with anime characters though because I love anime itself. It's practically my whole life.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 2:48 am

Hands wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:

I didn't think anyone else did the same thing either! It's so nice to talk to someone who understands. :) I find it interesting that you're from the UK and have imaginary friends from American television programs, because I am from the US and some of my imaginary friends are from British television programs! :D

Hands
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2011, 4:09 am

That is interesting. What British shows are some of your imaginary friends from?

Squiggles
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 May 2011, 10:53 am

I talk to the twin I had that died in the womb....
You know, that didn't sound nearly as strange in my head as it does reading it now.
His name is Mikael.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 11:00 am

Instead of using the words "imaginary" or "real", I use the words "corporate" or "incorporate" (meaning with a physical body, or without a physical body). That is because, at 41 years of age, I have known my incorporate friends for so much longer than I've known anybody else, that they feel a lot more real to me than actual people -- and actual people often feel imaginary, especially my mother.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 3:06 pm

Hands wrote:
That is interesting. What British shows are some of your imaginary friends from?

Doctor Who, mostly. I have the 10th Doctor, Rose Tyler and Jack Harkness as imaginary friends.