Going to the hairdressers painful for you too?

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Astron_Nomos1144
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jun 2011, 3:47 am

I totally agree. Why does this have to take hours, and be so expensive? And the tipping thing - I'm already paying $95 for what you are doing, I really have to add another $20? For WHAT? But that is the social rule. We tip the waitresses, we tip the cab drivers, we tip the hairdressers....whats next? Tipping the firefighter for pulling your cat out of the tree? In addition to that, it hurts. I'm always being told "oh, you're fine. Stop being such a tenderhead." BITE ME :evil: And those lights....they recently replaced the regular lights with LED lights...my God. I now get strange looks for refusing to take off my sunglasses. Ever.

I tend to get in trouble with the talking as well. I either have nohing to say, or I am forced into a conversation. When that happens, I will go off on any number of my pet topics - exhaustively. The problem is that I'm talking to a HAIRDRESSER. She may be good at what she does, she may be very nice - but she's not exactly going to appreciate or contribute to a conversation about fractal mathematics. Usually she tries to get me under the lamp as quickly as possible, then pretend to forget about me.

And the dentist - no way in hell. Haven't been since I was 16, and will only go if my teeth get knocked out or start falling out. Anything else I can handle on my own.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 8:57 am

I LIKE going to the barber. I know her personally and she's very nice, we always chat and theres TV open. Besides I am a guy so the haircut isn't too messy or something so I always exit the shop feeling lighter, and more free.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 3:50 pm

For anyone with long hair, I swear by this website:

http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

I have not been to the hairdressers for 18 months, and yet I have cut my hair 3 times! Right now it is shoulder length. It can be hard to get it 100% even, but nobody so far has noticed it is a self cut....

I recommend cutting it a bit longer than you intend at first so you can do some small trimming to even it up.

Taking a break.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2011, 3:03 am

Luckily a member of my family is a hairdresser and trims my hair for me now. I haven't been to a salon in 14 years. I have unruly hair so every time I went as a child/teen was a nightmare. First I would get called weird because I don't want to talk about myself. Then I would get yelled at for "not brushing" my hair (not true, BTW) or similar things like that. I hate those places.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 6:48 am

Absolutely. Nearly as bad as going to the dentist.

I go about once a year and spend weeks working up to it.

I'll hate my hair all year round, right up until I'm sitting in the chair and about to get it hacked off.. those grey rubber apron things must be really flattering...

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 5:26 pm

Not really... believe it or not, I actually like having my hair done. I like when people play with my hair but if it has tangles than that's when I scream and panic.

I actually don't like my hair. If I have it long, it becomes bother him and too much effort to handle, if its short shoulder length it looks hideous and if its by short it curls up and looks messy when its not. >______<

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 5:41 pm

iheartmegahitt wrote:
Not really... believe it or not, I actually like having my hair done. I like when people play with my hair but if it has tangles than that's when I scream and panic.

I actually don't like my hair. If I have it long, it becomes bother him and too much effort to handle, if its short shoulder length it looks hideous and if its by short it curls up and looks messy when its not. >______<

Oh yeah! Unlike most people here I looove having the feeling of having my hair done & played with etc. It's just the small talk for a whole half hour (or however long) that panics me.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 6:35 pm

I hate getting hair cuts. I don't like being touched and I never know what to say or how much to tip. I used to go to a barber college in downtown L.A. Most of the students weren't into small talk so it worked for me. But I would still get stressed out and delay getting hair cuts for months.

My current solution to the problem is to grow my hair long. Being a middle aged male, I suppose there are those who think I'm on some "mid-life crisis, trying to re-locate my youth" sort of kick, but really I just hate getting my hair cut. And as I get older, I care less and less what people think of me. One friend, a woman, seems rather freaked out that I wear my hair in a pony tail. I think I'm beginning to like the fact that it makes people somewhat unnerved.

imbuedblue
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2011, 3:49 pm

My mom cut my hair when I was a kid, and I've cut my own hair since college. I've only been to a proper barber once and I dread ever going again.

starburst76
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Jun 2011, 9:46 pm

I prefer going to the dentist to getting a hair cut. My dentist is smiley and friendly but our exchange is brief, just the way I like it. With the cleaning, I just lay back and let a lady clean my teeth. She doesn't talk, just works. I like that, I'm paying her to clean not chat.

Hairdressers on the other hand, just don't like silence. They love to ask pointless questions, as if we NEED to get to know each other. Maybe that makes me a snob, but getting to know someone is very difficult, tiring and quite a long process. I need to know that there is something in it for me. With small talk, there's nothing in it for me, I just feel like I have to talk in order to be polite when they are asking me questions.

The thing with hair dressers is that they are very superficial, judgemental and can be quite mean. I realise that's not how they all are, but I can sort of size them up in a couple of minutes. What I really find annoying is how they have to always comment on things about your hair. Like, one girl asked me if I got a hair cut very often (it was very long at the time, as I had been avoiding a cut for a long time). Another said that my hair was thinning on top and it made me feel so uncomfortable. Now I'm obsessed over the thinning, as a female this is devastating. One guy who cut my hair did a terrible job, and when he was done he sarcastically said "well, that looks better! Just a LITTLE bit though, just a little!".

The last time I had my hair done it was ok though, as it was my sisters friend and she was very gentle. I didn't mind talking to her either because I have met her at parties before so it didn't feel like a waste of time. I've waited for 25 years to get someone decent to cut my hair. That and she did a great job! I actually felt like a normal person when I left the salon!

BadBones
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2011, 2:28 am

The haircutting itself isn't so bad - it's the crappy pop radio station they play in the store that really irks me. xD

crouton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 8:07 am

I don't often go to the hairdresser, seeing as my hair's long and unstyled and only needs the occasional trim to stop it looking like an overgrown hedge. :P Shockingly enough, though, I actually quite enjoy going to the hairdresser when the time comes around! :P I find the sound and sensation of my hair being cut to be very relaxing, and I like the smell of hair products that lingers around the place. I even enjoy the small talk... except when school, college, university and jobs are mentioned. :P The main thing that puts me off haircuts are the prices...

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 1:11 pm

I stopped going to haircut places long ago. I don't know how anyone with AS can stand it. It's nothing but small talk. The last time I went there, the guy cutting my hair was very eager to talk about the "ladies with the big asses" who frequented the Panera Bread store next door. And he barely cut my hair, he just trimmed it with a hair trimmer. So I bought my own trimmer for $20 and have been cutting my hair myself ever since.

The dentist is easier than the haircut place. Dentists usually want you out of there as soon as possible so they can get back to the golf course. They come in, pick at your teeth with a miniature Grim Reaper scythe, drill your teeth with that nasty fluoride paste, give you a cheap toothbrush you'll never use, and you're out of there.

zippy-tri
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jun 2011, 11:15 am

I'm glad its not just me then?
Every 2-3 years, and I always hate the result too.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 1:11 pm

zippy-tri wrote:

Oh yeah, the result... I swear I've come back shaking from some hairdresser's appointments they've made such a bad job of it.

zippy-tri
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jun 2011, 6:01 am

kittie wrote:
zippy-tri wrote:

Oh yeah, the result... I swear I've come back shaking from some hairdresser's appointments they've made such a bad job of it.

Even though every one says things like "oh it looks so nice"?
(which leaves me thinking how nice it would be to live in a world where just being honest was 'normal')

I now buy a new hat before haircuts just incase :?