What is your most common social mistake?

Page 5 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 6:04 pm

1. Like a lot of people said, not knowing when I'm supposed to follow someone
2. Having absolutely nothing to say in response to someone
3. Not knowing when to say "hello" or "bye" to someone

myowngeeksqwad
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jun 2011, 10:23 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I think my most common mistake is thinking people just don't want to talk to me.

This is me too.

ravenintheradio
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jun 2011, 12:36 pm

how about taking a back seat to every conversation. no one seems to be interested if I am "leading" a conversation. then, usually, they think i'm interested in what they're talking about. And, of course, it is followed by me putting my actual thoughts into it, and the inevitable crickets follow right on cue. most conversations are like a dance that I never received the dance steps.

So, usually people will approach me and start talking, then realize they want nothing to do with me five minutes later. It's nothing offensive that I say (I think) but it probably is not the typical chit chat formalities that are usually accepted.

Side question: Anybody wonder why people ask for your number and then never call? It's like they seem interested in you at first, but want nothing to do with you.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 3:33 am

1) Greeting people, not knowing whether or how to appropriately greet someone. Not knowing if its ok to say a comment or 2, or what to say back when someone says a brief comment.
2) Social timing, not knowing when to insert a comment when people are talking. I swear, my social timing sucks so badly that probably most aspies surpass me with this one.

This is the reason why I make a crap ass acquaintance. Its funny how I find it easier to hold conversation then say hi to someone. I can perform more advanced social interaction better then things that are considered basic.

Bosun117
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jul 2011, 11:39 am

My most frequent, basic mistake is a tendency to stare, especially at girls. That rarely gets received well at all, leaving me with plenty of heartache.

Another is my trouble with judging proximity. I tend to stand too close during a social interaction.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2011, 3:36 am

The following thing is really confusing sometimes, especially if someone has unwittingly "trained" you in a certain way. My sister used to make me follow her around & fawn all over her when we went places. A couple of times when I did my own thing she left me there. Almost like you would punish a dog. So once when a friend I'd never hung out solo with before invited me shopping I followed him all over the store for a few minutes. He informed me that I could go look at whatever I wanted & meet up with him after while looking at me oddly. So I explained to him why I did that. We never hung out solo again.

Joe90 wrote:
I mean things like holding doors open for people, letting people through the door first, letting people step onto the bus first, ect.

I have done that too. I used to hold doors all the time at stores to be polite but then a couple of elderly people yelled at me (on separate occasions) for holding it for them, "I can do it myself!" is what they yelled. Now I usually only do it if someone is coming up right behind me.

Imapanda wrote:
I use big words.

Most people don't complain about this anymore with me (of course I don't talk as much either) but when I was in school (before HS & still had friends) a couple would get really angry with me. "Why are you using that word? Are you trying to say I'm stupid?". Of course I wasn't, those are just the words that come naturally to me sometimes.

I have been told that I am too loud when I am excited and start talking about something (with family). Then I clam up and get angry because I feel like I am being real (which I can rarely be) and they are punishing me for it.

My big thing right now is that I never know what to do when I show up at my therapist's office. Sometimes she's on the phone chatting, or on her computer, not in the office yet or in the other building. So I hang by the door or go sit in the waiting room but then it's like she doesn't know I'm there. Then when she finally comes to find me she chastises me for not letting her know that I'm there. Like I would do that.

rexirodkc
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Aug 2011, 11:39 pm

starburst76 wrote:
I have difficulty maintaining small talk, as I often find it a waste of time. I really can't handle superficial fluff talk and it's just easier to stay silent. I also mistake people's "interest" in what I am saying and can go on and on and on....I have talking bursts where I can talk non stop for 5 minutes without seeming to breathe and then just go silent. I find I get obsessive over whether people are listening to what I am saying and if I feel like no one is listening I'll just abruptly stop talking and wait to see if anyone notices that I was talking at all. Sometimes no one even notices, which makes me very angry and then I just won't talk unless I have to.

I have trouble smiling and being natural as I'm paranoid about appearing to be fake, but can't find a balance between being "friendly" which requires smiling and being phony. I don't have a natural smile that I am comfortable with, I always feel like there is something wrong with my teeth so I shouldn't show them (even though I know my teeth are fine). I find that when I am in groups and people are smiling or laughing at jokes that I should smile and laugh too, even though I don't want to. But sometimes I just can't be bothered and keep a straight face, which I know is a mistake.

I really understand about the small talk. I just can't stand it. Every now and then I'll engage in a conversation (for the other person's sake) but most of the time, I won't bother. After I say 'hi' to my aunt, for example, there's just dead silence. I do my best to laugh along with others in a group when something is funny (or at least when something is suppose to be; my sense of humor is odd compared to my family members), but sometimes I just don't care to join in. Forcing myself to behave "appropriately" in social interactions is tiring.

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2011, 12:03 am

Kind of goes along with clinginess, but knowing how much is too much to interact with someone. I sometimes wonder if I am posting too much on a friend's wall, calling too much, etc. Also, being flighty around those people whom I really enjoy their company.

I know some people will differ with me on this, but being my authentic self. I used to try to act normal, crack jokes, be funny, etc, but it was more of a turn off to people, than actually being the person that I am. This seems to be the case as I get older, especially with people that I only talk to once in awhile. They want to hear what you are up to, interested in or your life experiences, not the same jokes that they have heard dozens of times before.

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

02 Aug 2011, 12:28 am

I don't know when to stop. I will make people laugh and I enjoy that but then I usually take a joke too far and end up inadvertently offending someone.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 1:06 am

I guess I have 3 big ones:
1. Not knowing when to follow someone or stay put
2. Being too quiet (I assume people don't want to talk to me unless they sort of invite me into the conversation)
3. If I have to talk to someone I'm not familiar with and they start really looking me in the face, I start to trip over my words. People that I have to give more than one-word answers to (doctors, professors, etc). Other people I'm comfortable enough that I can look places other than their face while I talk.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 5:11 am

well, it's a nice little catch-22 for me;
i'm afraid of doing/saying something that will exclude me from a circle, so i avoid that possibility by doing/saying nothing at all, which is a mistake in itself, but acting on impulses creates said exclusion...

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 12:25 pm

Being sociable at a meal is tough. I'm relatively okay when there's small nibbles and such around, but sitting and eating food for more than 5 minutes at a time is when the Inner Me gets grumpy at people who try to have a conversation with me. Inner Me keeps going, "doggoneit, I'm eating! Come back later!"

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 12:44 pm

Quote:
What is your most common social mistake?

i guess the thing that alienates other people from me the most is the fact that i fail to listen to what they have to say to me, and i proceed to tell them what i want to tell them, and then after i have finished talking (if they are still there), i excuse my self by telling them "goodbye" in a way that they can not refute.

i do not adequately see people as living things. i know they are alive and all, but me and them have a hard time doing a "mental tango" together.

i just do not care enough to try to involve myself in the social matrix of "peopledom". it all seems pointless to me, and i quickly lose interest when i am forced to listen to someone else talk about things i have not ever thought about myself. i can not "explore" with them.. i care only about what i think.
that is not a socially beneficial way to be i would correctly suspect.so i guess it is a major flaw in me.
"ho f*cking hum".

WhoKnowsWhy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2011, 9:20 pm

If I knew what it was, my social life probably wouldn't suck so much. :)

PurpleJazz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Aug 2011, 4:41 am

My main problem is that I seem to talk down to everyone, or at least that is what would be apparent based on other people's reactions to my social actions. Just because I don't grin like the Cheshire Cat 24/7 and say things "as they are" instead of acting like a clown by consistent streams of sarcasm and other NT humour, people think of me as being "too serious" and not having any sense of humour.

FlamingYouth
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Aug 2011, 1:09 pm

I often just say what I feel like. In the past few years I've been developing a theory of mind, but often I say something having absolutely no idea how the person I'm speaking will respond. Sometimes I unintentionally hurt people, which leads to trouble. In recent years I've been developing a theory of mind so that happens less and less over time, but I still have to be careful.